4 port router solution?

Magice

Limp Gawd
I currently have a modem connected to a cheapy 4 port linksys to a 40 port + switch. The network seems to be dying lots and I thought it may be due to the cheapy router. What would be the best solution to replace it with?

what do you mean dying?

no internet, no interconectivity between clients?

what is plugged into the linksys

what is plugged into the 40 port switch?

yes need more info on what exactly is dying, if it's the connection to the internet then yes it is your crappy router, if you actually have around 40 clients you shouldn't be using crappy home router, they are not designed to handle the load. Get some business version router like netgear prosafe or equivalent from diff vendor.

Without more specific information, get a business class router that offers QoS and get a switch with a larget switching fabric.

I currently have a modem connected to a cheapy 4 port linksys to a 40 port + switch. The network seems to be dying lots and I thought it may be due to the cheapy router. What would be the best solution to replace it with?

"Home grade routers" are designed for the load of a small home network. Some can barely even handle the load of more than 2 or 3 PCs.

Each computer connecting to the internet...creates many concurrent TCP sessions on the router..consuming the routers CPU and memory. Multiply that by several PCs..and the router quickly becomes bogged down. Not to mention a network of a dozen..twenty...thirty..forty...up and up...PCs.

You're long past overdue for a business grade router. Entry level....based on installing several dozen of them...I'd recommend the Linksys/Cisco RV082 or RV016 models. 533MHz processor, 32 megs and 64 megs of RAM respectively...they perform well for the price (around 280 and 360 dollars respectively)

Back