4 months of e8400 + GA-965P-DS3

Sworkhard

n00b
My GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 has finally died after 10 months, 4 of which my e8400 was running in it. It died after I left it running semi stable (failed OCCT) @ 4.0 GHZ , 1.35V over the weekend when i went on a road trip. When i came back it was still running, but running very sluggishly, and i eventually hit the reset button. I froze during post, and that was the end of the board. As I have much more experience with an e8400 on my 965P, I figured i'd post my experiences with it.

While it seems that most people have not been able to get this combination to work, I was able to with only a little difficulty. Despite flashing to bios version f13o, the comp didn't initially post when i put the e8400 in it. A bios reset and a different video card got me to the point that i could access the bios. The bios initially detected my e8400 as having an 8.5x multiplier, and a 1066 fsb. the voltage was also incorrect. This was resolved after i set the multiplier to 8x and the fsb to 1333 manually in the bios. After the reboot, it correctly detected the CPU. I had no trouble booting into Vista, and OCCT showed the system as stable. I put the original video card back in and it continued to work.

Overclocking

I jumped to 3.6 GHZ (400x8) right away and found it to boot into windows and play games no problem withought a voltage increase. I then boosted my voltage to 1.3v and went for 4.0GHZ. The system booted and ran fine, but failed to pass OCCT. It would also reset after running idle for >8 hours. As such I lowerd the speed down to 3.8 GHZ and it ran at that speed with no problems for about 2 months. After two months I ran into the cold boot issue and the bios reset the cpu to default speeds. Since i didn't have time to change it back, I left it at this until this past weekend when I figured I'd try overclock it again. The semistable results ended up killing the board. The maximum fsb (any multiplier) i was able to hit stably with this CPU was 455 with both the NB and FSB voltage @ 1.3. @ 1.2V for both I was able to reach 450 stably. Maximum booting FSB was 465. This was not limited by my ram (1066 CL5 2.2V).

I'm replacing the board with a DFI LANParty Dk P35-T2RS.

Back