4 Monitor Display Help

Nexillus

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all!

Hopefully someone can help me here, I'm personally new to AMD and multi monitor setup. I was on the green team before and besides plugging them in correctly, worked flawlessly for my setup.

I currently run a 1 over 3 setup or Eyefinity+1 extended. I currently have 2x sapphire 290s. I can get eyefinity to work just fine however I cannot get my extended monitor to work at all. It keeps saying I have to disable one to activate it. I looked online and heard something about active adapters for them? Alright, I believe I need one but what type? Their are quite a few.

My Sapphires have the following inputs:
1x Display port
1x HDMI
2x dual link (DVI-D)

I know to utilize crossfire I need to have no plugs in the slave card if I turn crossfire off, I can use it.

Any suggestions from AMD vets out there?

I appreciate your time and any assistance. Oh and btw the 290s well, they are mean... Really nice cards. :)

After doing even more research I cant figure out a way since the card has what is called "three" legacy plugins being 2x DVI and 1x HDMI. :( so I dont have any idea which active adapter to get....

I'm pretty sure one of the DVIs shares resources with the HDMI port. I use a USB Displaylink adapter for my other screen.

I'm pretty sure one of the DVIs shares resources with the HDMI port. I use a USB Displaylink adapter for my other screen.

So your saying I need some sort of active DVI to HDMI or something else?

Before I answer this, which card do you have? FleX or regular?

Which ports are you using for Eyefinity? Are you using the DP port?

First eyefinity was:
HDMI
2x DVI-D

Current eyefinity:
DP
2X DVI-D

The 4th display wont even work in extended mode :/

The R9 290 has 3 RAMDACs to generate clock signals for VGA/DVI/HDMI connections. Since you have 4 monitors you will need either at least 1 DisplayPort monitor or an *ACTIVE* DisplayPort adapter (to DVI or HDMI).

What monitors do you have?

I don't think you need an active display port adapter unless your monitor doesn't have DP port. I usually set my eyefinity group first while my extended is disabled and then re-enable it when I have 3x1 portrait setup. Two of my monitor are DVI, one DP(U2412m have DP and DVI), and the extended(TV) is HDMI.
351xwe0.jpg

I see, so I would need an active DVI-D to DP then since my monitor does not have native display port :(

Yep - the good news is that since your monitors are only 1080p 60Hz you can use single-link active adapters which are around $30 and don't require a USB port for power.

Yep - the good news is that since your monitors are only 1080p 60Hz you can use single-link active adapters which are around $30 and don't require a USB port for power.

Thanks! That is some awesome news :)

I appreciate all the help. Was driving me nuts as I feel their isn't enough info out there especially with the new GPUs.

Back