4 GB vs 8 GB DDR4 with X99

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I am writing this from my 980X/X58 box. The 980X has a little known "feature" where it will underclock your DDR3 to 1066 if you fill all six banks with 4 GB DIMMs. This can lead to barrels of fun when the BIOS, trying to restore things to "safe" settings, will actually clock the memory back up to 1333 in the case of an overclocking failure. Then it's a matter of being lucky enough to get to the BIOS to clock the memory back down before things lock up on you again.

Are there any similar gotchas with the memory controller on the 5960X? Will I be buying myself into a more fragile setup if I get 8 GB DIMMs?

I don't think there's even 2gb DDR4 sticks. The smallest DDR4 sticks are 4gb, and you want 4 sticks for quad-channel memory.

Maybe this wasn't clear from just the title, but I'm talking about 4 GB DIMMs vs 8 GB DIMMs.

Maybe this wasn't clear from just the title, but I'm talking about 4 GB DIMMs vs 8 GB DIMMs.

Have to admit it wasn't clear. Perhaps you could get a mod to edit that title? Or maybe you could do it yourself? Took me a double-read to understand what you were getting at.

Back