4 Dead - 11 Wounded at Jacksonville FL Video Game Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this?

Use a gun in the commission of a crime and 10 years are added to your jail sentence. 2nd time you use a gun during a crime, we add 20 years.
Use a gun during a crime and someone dies, even if you didn't pull the trigger, it's an automatic death penalty.

Use a gun to defend yourself or someone else, and you are protected by the law.

Florida has a law that establishes minimum sentences, it was commonly called the 10-20-Life law and it's been around since the late 90's.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=775.087&URL=0700-0799/0775/Sections/0775.087.html

Edit to add we also have a justifiable use of force law
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

Oh and another edit to add that Florida has issued over 1 million concealed carry permits

Last edited:
That said, was this guy someone who was competing and just had the ultimate in rage quit? Or was the guy not related to the event at all?
Yes he was a competitor who had won last years event. If you look up pictures of him you immediately see the whole story, no surprise here. Some twitter comments from other competitors say he acts just as weird as he looks, and had been wearing the same clothes all weekend.

Prizes were

1st - Trip to vegas to compete for $100,000
2nd - $5000
3rd - $1000

I think he busted in 4th so scumbag came in to make everyone else as miserable as he is.

Being armed increases likelyhood you can fire back. Also, in my hypothetical only one other guy has a gun, and he was able to shoot the bad guys gun hand. Don’t tell me that wouldn’t happen. It’s my hypothetical and i can tailor it to support any political position i want.

Problem is...

...Rarely is there any 'firing back'.

I always wondered why so many people are adamant against reforming gun ownership
I have to say I'm not really interested into getting into such discussions, but to me it seems every loony can get a gun in the US
Just seeing US police officers approaching any situation with a gun drawn makes me think I would never ever travel the US
Seems like a powder keg, getting worse over time too

To me, a non American, it seems strange that you have the NRA promoting guns to kids
NRAYouth2017-2.jpg

, you can drive a car under 18, but you can't drink before 21

Seems like a strange mix
For some things you need a mature mind and for more deadly things you don't?

Many in America are shocked by the horrendous mass murders in Europe. We wonder why your police are unable to protect your people from mass truck attacks, acid attacks, knife attacks, rapes, Ad Nauseam. Why can't you implement basic controls to avoid these attacks? I seriously want to know. :rolleyes:

That is another issue. I don't remember if we ever got mass shootings anywhere in Europe. Mass shootings are definitely something that in 95% of cases happens in the US, nowhere else in the world. Americans are not crazier than the rest of the world. It IS because your gun control is a joke.

That is another issue. I don't remember if we ever got mass shootings anywhere in Europe. Mass shootings are definitely something that in 95% of cases happens in the US, nowhere else in the world. Americans are not crazier than the rest of the world. It IS because your gun control is a joke.
Men wearing white wigs in court seems insane to me. Don't judge, Europe.

Americans are not crazier than the rest of the world.

Yes we are. And we combine our craziness with self-righteousness and pride. We don't care, our ego will keep us warm.

P.S. I still support the right to own a gun.

P.P.S. I also support the idea of licensing, registering, training and gun community involvement in the above.

Last edited:
Run and hide just gets you killed. Not many people have the balls to rush a shooter unarmed. Myself included.

Doesn't change the fact that no one is using weapons to defend themselves, but many are being killed by weapons wielded by assailants.

Kinda sad how people rush to ban an inanimate object before the body's are even cold and stiff. I don't wanna clutter this thread by refuting most of the inaccurate anti gun statements so I'll just say rip to the victims instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

Then Dunblane scotland, hungerford england, france, ireland.

Its a world thing.

Humans can’t be kind and civil to one another without somebody getting killed.

I can kinda agree on the gun control part but it’s far too late to stop gun ownership, if they even could in the first place, some amendment or something.

Just look at the uk, my neighbour, an old man, he was in hospital, hospital decided he needed disability shit added to his house. Whilst in hospital they came to build new shit and found world war 2 under the floor boards.

This is no shit, there was about 10 cops just sitting in the dudes house overnight on the day of discovery. The next day a bus load of cops came and tore the dudes house to shreds. Must of easily been 20-30 cops, easy. Then 4 gun cop cars pulled up and started packing up world war 2 so they could go play it at the police station.

Guns were not his. Funny thing is, he murdered one of my neighbours about 20 years ago. Did I ever tell you how nice scottish folk are ?

To think, the answer to all my dreams was sitting next door in an empty house. If only I knew, shit would of been stolen years ago.

Carrying a gun should be as common and normal as carrying a cell phone. As it stands right now, any asshole like this knows they can go into a venue and likely be the only person with a gun. People are outsourcing the protection of their own loves, often times to cowards who won't defend them. If someone draws and shoots in a venue like this, I'd be scared as hell. I'd rather die scared with a chance to defend myself then die scared running or hiding.

If you want to trust the random psychos out there to not kill you, be my guest. I'll practice defending myself as part of my range visits. You do not get to take my ability to legally defend myself.

Carrying a gun should be as common and normal as carrying a cell phone. As it stands right now, any asshole like this knows they can go into a venue and likely be the only person with a gun. People are outsourcing the protection of their own loves, often times to cowards who won't defend them. If someone draws and shoots in a venue like this, I'd be scared as hell. I'd rather die scared with a chance to defend myself then die scared running or hiding.

If you want to trust the random psychos out there to not kill you, be my guest. I'll practice defending myself as part of my range visits. You do not get to take my ability to legally defend myself.
No, it should not be that common. We don't need every asshat roaming around acting like Dirty Harry.

No, it should not be that common. We don't need every asshat roaming around acting like Dirty Harry.

No one would be acting like dirty harry if we didn't treat guns like they are some crazy thing we see in a movie. People don't drive around in their cars like the dukes of hazard do they?

Getting too political now so that's all i have to say

Considering the prevalence of swating lately, I'm not surprised this happened. If you want this sort of thing to stop, i'll give you a hint. you can't. nothing anyone can do will stop this sort of thing. humans have been killing each other for thousands of years, sometimes for considerably less important reasons than 'I lost at virtual football'

Here in Toronto, there was a guy that ran down a bunch of women and children in a van, because he couldn't get laid. Something makes me wonder if there's an ingrained thing in our very DNA that starts to rebel violently when you put too many of us together in one place for too long. You rarely see this kind of thing in the country.

You guys really have a mental health problem.
As do we in Norway, but guns are really hard to come by here, so the crazies use knives and axes instead.
That said, our one and only mass shooter injured 319, shot and killed 69 people(mostly kids) and took out 8 people and half a city block with a bomb.

As a non-American, i have a question. When is not too soon to start talking about gun control ?
As an American, I have an answer. It is always too soon to start talking about gun control. Guns are not the problem; people who misuse guns are the problem. What's next, knife control? Oh wait. The real quesfion here is; when is it too early to start talking about SELF CONTROL?

You guys really have a mental health problem.
As do we in Norway, but guns are really hard to come by here, so the crazies use knives and axes instead.
That said, our one and only mass shooter injured 319, shot and killed 69 people(mostly kids) and took out 8 people and half a city block with a bomb.
That we do, but rather than talk about the mental health problem, people want to jump straight to the issue of gun control. We aren't even enforcing all of the laws on the books (looking at you Florida) so I'm really not sure how adding more will fix anything. I remember here in Milwaukee it took YEARS of people complaining about a particularly scummy gunshop that blatantly allowed straw-buyers to purchase guns before anyone did anything about it. And even then I think they only closed them down because some police officers sued them for selling the guns that were used to shoot them.

That we do, but rather than talk about the mental health problem, people want to jump straight to the issue of gun control. We aren't even enforcing all of the laws on the books (looking at you Florida) so I'm really not sure how adding more will fix anything. I remember here in Milwaukee it took YEARS of people complaining about a particularly scummy gunshop that blatantly allowed straw-buyers to purchase guns before anyone did anything about it. And even then I think they only closed them down because some police officers sued them for selling the guns that were used to shoot them.

People want to jump straight to guns because they don't want to fix the problem but instead blame a scapegoat. Further they aren't looking for "Gun control" they are looking for a Gun Ban and don't let them try to convince you otherwise. While I do agree we could use some more clear regulations concerning guns, the reality is the problem isn't going to magically go away as guns are not the problem. As you and others mentioned, we have a mental health problem. We have sick people getting their hands on guns and doing horrible things and we have sick people blaming a tool instead of demanding that we address the real problem.

I always wondered why so many people are adamant against reforming gun ownership
I have to say I'm not really interested into getting into such discussions, but to me it seems every loony can get a gun in the US
Just seeing US police officers approaching any situation with a gun drawn makes me think I would never ever travel the US

To me, a non American, it seems strange that you have the NRA promoting guns to kids
View attachment 99514

Seems like a strange mix

Why dont you tell us what amazing country your from? Preferably in soapbox forum.

Maybe not so much, I hear this argument every single time there's even talk of any sort of gun control. Sure there's the "true" criminal element that would get their guns black market etc etc. Then there's the "snap" shootings where someone just loses their shit, goes home gets their legally purchased gun(s) because prior to that point they were said law abiding gun owner, and goes crazy at a mall or something. I mean I'm not trying to pick a fight here at all, but of all the mass shootings how many of those people were "law abiding gun owners" before they turned into mass murderers? Typically "criminals" are not the ones to go on mass shootings like this, which I agree is what the talks of "gun control" tend to revolve around, some criminal shoots someone during a robbery or something all the time, no one talks gun control then because in that case it would largely be ineffective, however would the Columbine boys be the types to go driving into the inner city of Denver to try and buy some black market guns? Largely a rhetorical question, but one to think about, if the answer to that is "no, they most definitely would not have done that" then Columbine doesn't happen because of "gun control"

Also the levels of progressively more punishment for using guns, again only punish "criminals" not the ones who do stuff like this and commit suicide during.
We never are told enough to classify things as snap shootings. But most of these things appear to be planned for months. The psycho in FL wore a long heavy coat everyday even in hot weather so much so he had the perfect place to hide long weapons. Coincidence or planning? I would guess planning. Columbine was planned for months. They built bombs. They planned to die. An afternoon in a bad neighborhood likely wasn't going to put them off. In fact with a larger black market, you probably wouldn't have to go to the worst parts of town. The current illicit drug system would easily double as a illicit gun distribution market. There's just no market right now. Not enough prohibited people to encourage one. With gun control that changes. It's the inverse argument of drug legalization.

As an American, I have an answer. It is always too soon to start talking about gun control. Guns are not the problem; people who misuse guns are the problem. What's next, knife control? Oh wait. The real quesfion here is; when is it too early to start talking about SELF CONTROL?

'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Thank you for agreeing with me. Does that mean that you even agree to restrict the availability of weapons, or you just dandy with "criminals & crazy people" having easy access to weapons?
Contrary to liberal believes getting a gun is not as easy as it is though legally in America. You can't just go into a gun story and walk out with a gun. Any minor misdemeanors can disqualifi

View attachment 99514

Seems like a strange mix
Driving a car and learning how a gun operates are two different things. Teaching a youth how to safely use a firearm is a good thing. Unlike a gun you can accidently do a lot of damage with a car if not paying attention to your driving. You people need to stop fearing guns and putting blame on them. They a tool like anything else. People dont scream for driver license reform everytime some one drives a car through a group of people. No cause there is no agenda there. Hell it doesnt even get the kinda of press coverage as a shooting does. Crazy people will use other methods to harm with out guns.

Thank god it wasn't a Counter Strike tournament... it being a NFL tournament the spin will be a little more difficult than usual.
Pfft.
News at 11.
Creepy looking murderer became all murdery due to his repetitive head injury syndrome caused by playing football video games. Football is so violent and dangerous it may even injure spectators at Madden tournaments and make them blood-thirsty murderers with white privilege.
(insert bullshit 'scientific' study about something completely irrelevant and use a few scary buzzworrds to inaccurately summarize it)
Isn't anyone thinking of the children!?

As a non-American, i have a question. When is not too soon to start talking about gun control ?
It’s far past the point of talking about it ... the fact that this major life threatening issue is quickly swept under the rug points to a sick and twisted society.

Reasonable people address issues like gun violence THE FIRST TIME it’s a fucking problem. You have to care more about human life than guns ... and the US just isn’t there yet, and probably will never get there.

Symptoms of a sick society are everywhere. You see it in the for profit healthcare system, you see it in blatant racism problems, and you see it in the White House. at some point you have to wake up and open your fucking eyes.

This may have been answered already, but is the guy with the laser pointer on him right before the shooting starts the player that goes by True? If so, he's one of the guys that didn't make it.

Contrary to liberal believes getting a gun is not as easy as it is though legally in America. You can't just go into a gun story and walk out with a gun. Any minor misdemeanors can disqualifi

Driving a car and learning how a gun operates are two different things. Teaching a youth how to safely use a firearm is a good thing. Unlike a gun you can accidently do a lot of damage with a car if not paying attention to your driving. You people need to stop fearing guns and putting blame on them. They a tool like anything else. People dont scream for driver license reform everytime some one drives a car through a group of people. No cause there is no agenda there. Hell it doesnt even get the kinda of press coverage as a shooting does. Crazy people will use other methods to harm with out guns.
Not true. I have a felony and can get a handgun. Non violent offenses don't count (most of them).

edit: nope. I was wrong. Still illegal.

Last edited:
I'm no sociologist, but it seems apparent to me that the problems all stem from a lack of personal accountability. Every time someone does something bad, there are always people behind them ready to excuse or forgive them. This only encourages others to behave in the same manner because they know that they can get away with it. The only way we can reverse this idiocy is through iron discipline. No more fourth or fifth warnings, no more "time off for good behavior", no more idiotic defenses like "affluenza", etc. You break the law the first time and you will actually suffer for it. Make the penalty stiff enough that a person will actually think twice before committing a crime.

To me, a non American, it seems strange that you have the NRA promoting guns to kids, you can drive a car under 18, but you can't drink before 21

Seems like a strange mix
It all depends on upbringing. If you are taught proper respect for firearms from a young age, guns are no danger. I'm not a member of the NRA, but I taught my daughter proper methods of safely handling and firing rifles at a young age. She enjoyed shooting at targets and was quite good at it. When she was old enough, she joined us out at camp to go deer hunting. While at college, she took a course on pistol safety and marksmanship. She knows that a gun is not a toy. That's a sharp contrast to the innumerable number of people posting pictures of themselves brandishing pistols/rifles in dramatic poses. Or who walk around with concealed weapons without being licensed to do so. Those are the people who are most likely to misuse a firearm. They simply have no respect for firearms and the damage that can result from their improper use. Guns are not toys and should never be treated as one.

was shooter being a sore loser and couldn't handle defeat?
There ya go, new rule for video game tourneys, after losing you go to the mandatory decompression chamber until the event is over and everyone else leaves. The decompression chamber has scantily clad women serving everything from booze to burgers (that is until some SJW says how sexist that is), massage tables, spas, TV, video games, and psychologists on hand to let you better deal with defeat.

Probably because it's possible to function as a society without guns.

We kind of need cars and it's a little trickier to manage to get your car inside a building and end a double digit number of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back