4 Beeps on power on, no bios screen, help me find the problem

Cold_B

n00b
I'm helping a friend build a computer, and when I power it on, I get four beeps from the speaker and then nothing. I don't get anything on the display, and it sounds like its not trying to boot up. Here are the specs:

Asus P8H61-M LE Motherboard
Intel i5-3570k
2x4gb Corsair XMS3 Ram
Geforce 560
OCZ 600watt power supply

Yesterday, it would just power on, spin for a few seconds then power off, wait a couple of seconds, then power on again and start over (powering off).

I got him to take the motherboard back and get it swapped out, and now I'm getting the four beeps.

I've tried another power supply, one that I know is good (a 700w), same thing.
I've tried ram from my desktop, same thing.
I've tried pulling the motherboard out of the case and get the same thing.
I've tried the graphics card from my desktop, same thing.
I've tried plugging in a good fan into the cpu fan power adapter on the motherboard in case that was it, same thing.

So the only things that are left that I think it could be are the motherboard (now the second one) and the processor. I've also tried a known good power switch (that plugs into the motherboard), and that wasn't it.

I've found a beep code table for asus on their website, and it lists four short beeps as:
Hardware monitor detects error (abnormal temperature, voltage, fan speed)

When I first put the computer together two days ago, i did get into the bios the first time i booted it up, and then realized I forgot to plug in the front usb cable, shut it off, and then i got the cycle on and off problem. I checked everything, and then after pulling everything out and putting everything in a couple of times, I got into the bios again. When I powered off (forgot to plug in a power cable to a dvd I think it was), it started the cycle on and off again, and I was never able to get anywhere else.

Since the new motherboard, all I've gotten was the 4 beeps.

Any ideas? What have I missed? I don't have another 1155 machine to cross test the proc and motherboard with.

TL;DR - 4 beeps on power on, nothing shown on screen. Only motherboard (returned and replaced) and processor haven't been tested good somewhere else.

Thanks!

Have you tried resetting CMOS?
Booting with just the onboard video?
Disconnected the hard drive from the motherboard?

Though there's a chance that the new motherboard doesn't support that CPU. Remember that not all motherboards shipped with updated BIOs. So what may have happened was that you got a mobo that had the latest firmware and therefore could see your CPU but was defective. Now the new motherboard probably works but doesn't have the updated BIOs for the CPU.

Also, did you try your friend's PSU, RAM, GPU, and HDD in your PC to completely rule those out? What's the voltage on that Corsair RAM?

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing!
My setup:
- Asus P8h61MLE mother board
- Intel i5 3450 3.1GHZ
- Asus HD 6670 video card
- Gskill 4 GB DDR3 RAM
- Golden Dragon 450W power supply

I only heard 4 short beeps and get nothing on screen. The same happens with on board video and with HDD and Ram disconnected. :confused:

Any ideas?
Cold_B - did you resolve it?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Have you tried resetting CMOS?
Yes, no change. I've tried using the reset CMOS jumper, and tried pulling the CMOS battery.

Booting with just the onboard video?
Yes, same thing happens. Same thing also happens if I use my 570 in there.

Disconnected the hard drive from the motherboard?
Yes, same thing.

PSU, GPU and HDD all check out in my computer. I can't test the ram in my computer because I'm overclocked and his ram won't go fast enough, but I've tried 4 different sticks of my ram in his computer. (I have two different models of ram in my computer, and I tried 2 sticks of each model individually).

The ram is 1.5v.

Its possible that the motherboard doesn't support that cpu, but I think the only way to tell is to see the bios version number on post.

Randomletters: No luck so far. In the next couple of days I plan to go back up to the store I bought the parts from and see what help I can get from them. Have you had any luck?

Back