4.5Ghz on water - room to go

The1stCAV

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was tinkering around with Frank last night and hit 4.5Ghz pretty solid and with little effort actually. I either got lucky or found a nice balance quickly. I just installed 12GB of Mushkin DDR3 in Frank with much better timings and wanted to see if I could quickly OC him and see what he could do.

After running 8 hours of Prime95 and a CPU Load tester at the same time, I felt the system was stable enough to run a VANTAGE score on him.

53kvantage03082011.png

Not sure, just ordered new RAM (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OWTXCW/ref=ox_ya_os_product) Corsair Dominator GT 6 GB PC3-16000 2000Mhz Triple Channel Core i3, i5, i7 DDR3 Memory Kit CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 and it will be here Friday. The Mushkin was great RAM, it worked wonderful, but was not a fast enough FSB speed for me to effectively be able to OC Frank further. It would probably top out at 1700Mhz and the RAM I ordered is 2000Mhz native, so I need the extra headroom to get Frank pushed further than he is now.

I do not see 5Ghz on water, though he is cooling about as efficient as he could right now. I think 4.6-4.75 is more of a target range I am shooting for. Even at those speeds it is respectable for a machine that is actually being used daily as opposed to some benchmarking machine built only for pushing it hard.

Here are a couple pic's I took this morning of Frank:

frank2011.jpg

frank2011002.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow you do awesome work.

I agree.

Off topic but looking at your loop I see the pump placed in between the cpu block and the gpus blocks. I have always read that it is best to always have a reservoir always feed the pump.

Where is the reservoir? How are your temps? Have you experience with reservoir before pump?

Trying to figure out if your loop set up is optimum with placement of pump.

You're using a stealth 360 radiator to cool all of that???? Where do you get 78c load on the CPU when the highest core temp is 85c just during a vantage run? Unless the picture was from doing load testing either way it's still high IMO. I'd upgrade the rad, fix the order of the loop and you can run 5Ghz all day with lower temps.

yeah i would suggest your re-do your look. going from rad to CPU and having all that heat from CPU to GPU's to your WB board.

yeah i'm surprised you can even WC with tri SLI 580's there's no way your getting those temps.

Back