4/20 New Apples errryday

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
..well, at least today.

---
The glorious return of the 24" iMac, now in M1. https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

It's a giant non-touch iPad on a stand. That hinge looks scary but I guess it will hold. This is also the first Mac with a new design specifically for M1. No Intel in this form factor for sure. I had hoped for an M1x or M2 or something, but I guess the M1 can work in this segment. Yay for multiple colors, now the used Mac market can be full of "dang the specs are perfect except PINK wtf."
---
iPad Pro now with the M1. https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/
The 12" also gets an XDR screen. Yay I guess?
---
AirTags. For some reason. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/04/apple-introduces-airtag/
---
Hey dog we heard you like Apple TV so we made a new Apple TV so you can watch Apple TV on your Apple TV. https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/
(it has a new remote)
---
Oh and how could I forget, you can now get an iPhone 12 in purple. That warranted being in an Apple keynote.
---

iMac kinda yay, iPad less yay, everything else whatever, and omg the event was pretty rough on the music, a stupid video of Tim Cook disguised as a hipster stealing an M1, and well... ok, we get it, you drone.

M1 iMac is a disappointment.

It's a huge price premium over an M1 Mini. Yeah, it's a very nice display and a keyboard/mouse/webcam/speakers are included, but it's $600 more. And you get no ethernet and fewer USB ports. If you look at the two like-configured examples (8GB, 8 GPU, 512GB SSD, ethernet), the difference is $900. For that premium they should have at least upped the RAM to 16 GB and/or made an M1 with additional high-end cores.

And the ethernet jack is integrated into the power brick that attaches to the iMac via a weird, unnecessary, proprietary magnetic connector.

Also, that white bezel clashes with the anodized aluminum.

I want to like Apple's stuff. I like the OS. The hardware is mostly an exercise in style over substance and inflating Apple's profit margins. The only models with any value to most people are the Mini and Air.

I’m going to get the new iPad. The biggest one, with the most storage.

I'll be trading in my 11" iPad Pro for the M1 12.9" Pro. That is gonna be a beast!

M1 iMac is a disappointment.
I agree, but that's in the face of the 32" iMac rumors with M1X/M2. Apple is clearly slow playing their processor launches, which is really wise of them - considering although they may have a processor advancement 'now' the design after this one may take longer, and it makes sense that they therefore want to 'space them out'.
It's a huge price premium over an M1 Mini. Yeah, it's a very nice display and a keyboard/mouse/webcam/speakers are included, but it's $600 more. And you get no ethernet and fewer USB ports. If you look at the two like-configured examples (8GB, 8 GPU, 512GB SSD, ethernet), the difference is $900. For that premium they should have at least upped the RAM to 16 GB and/or made an M1 with additional high-end cores.
On this we mostly agree. The display and its form factor will be attractive to a lot of folks that want a really nice display and a very compact size. It does have ethernet though. I'm not sure how much it will cost for 16GB/1TB but I'm assuming the top end machine is looking like $2000 (yes I know the top spec is $1600, but we can't configure it, I'm just making a guess). And yeah, that's too much at least for anyone looking for value for money. But hey, we already have the Mini for that.
And the ethernet jack is integrated into the power brick that attaches to the iMac via a weird, unnecessary, proprietary magnetic connector.
Well it's not "necessary". But the idea is that it de-clutters your desk. It's very Apple like to only want a single connector from the floor onto the desk (wireless keyboard and mouse also come with the computer mind you). People buy Macs for these features. If you don't want an over-engineered machine, there's already an entire PC market for that.
As you note below, this whole system is likely not for you. Computers also don't need aluminum anodized frames. They don't need colors. They don't need fingerprint readers. They don't need nice sounding speakers or multiple mics. They don't need to be only a few centimeters thick. They don't need hinges that bend into any conceivable position. They don't need to be silent. They can be beige square boxes devoid of character, oversized to fit "any component" you may want and designed to interface with whatever you want with however many ports you want, made cheaply from cheap materials, on inexpensive equipment, using volume to bring costs down and otherwise be the cheapest cost possible.
Obviously Apple customers want and like those features even if they are "unnecessary". Especially for something they're going to spend a lot of time with and or in front of. They want something that looks and feels nice. Macs, and Apple products in general, feel like a treat. If none of that appeals to you you're not the target audience.
Also, that white bezel clashes with the anodized aluminum.
Marques Brownlee agrees with you. How much do you want to bet the Arm iMac Pro or whatever the 32" model is will have black bars and less/no chin for 'speed'?
I want to like Apple's stuff. I like the OS. The hardware is mostly an exercise in style over substance and inflating Apple's profit margins. The only models with any value to most people are the Mini and Air.
If the machine is faster than competing PC's especially for the tasks its designed for then its not. I agree the value of the 24" iMac isn't nearly as good as the Air or Mini but you're clearly not the target demo for that machine. And that's totally fine. That's precisely why there are multiple machines that exist, so you have a choice - it's not like when people buy PC's they buy "one of each".

Last edited:
I'd argue the iMac is greater than the sum of its parts. You get one not just for the specs (don't underestimate that 4.5K display), but because it's a very simple, eye-catching desktop that's so light (less than 10lbs) you can even lift it without much trouble. You just plug it in and go. That's not for everyone, but part of why I've used iMacs for years was that I didn't need a tower, external monitor, webcam and other peripherals taking up valuable space.

The Mac mini makes the most sense from a pure numbers perspective... but Apple is good at making a case for venturing beyond the numbers.

I'd argue the iMac is greater than the sum of its parts. You get one not just for the specs (don't underestimate that 4.5K display), but because it's a very simple, eye-catching desktop that's so light (less than 10lbs) you can even lift it without much trouble. You just plug it in and go. That's not for everyone, but part of why I've used iMacs for years was that I didn't need a tower, external monitor, webcam and other peripherals taking up valuable space.

The Mac mini makes the most sense from a pure numbers perspective... but Apple is good at making a case for venturing beyond the numbers.
I'm wondering how fast someone is going to develop a "suit case mod" (or other easy transport case) for it and use it as a DIT workstation. After removing the stand, it's basically a 2cm slab. It could be incredibly easily transported and its all in one nature for a lot of applications would be really valuable.
Heck, it wouldn't be hard to imagine a case that carries 5 of these iMacs and a second case for all the stands/keyboards/mice. Basically could deploy an entire team with machines on location without a lot of effort.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how fast someone is going to develop a "suit case mod" (or other easy transport case) for it and use it as a DIT workstation. After removing the stand, it's basically a 2cm slab. It could be incredibly easily transported and its all in one nature for a lot of applications would be really valuable.
Heck, it wouldn't be hard to imagine a case that carries 5 of these iMacs and a second case for all the stands/keyboards/mice. Basically could deploy an entire team with machines on location without a lot of effort.

I could easily see that happening. I remember some pros liking iMacs as on-the-set machines because they could have a reasonably powerful machine on hand to review photos and videos without having to lug a whole desktop-and-tower setup around. This particular iMac I'm not sure about given some of its limitations (mainly RAM), but I could see the replacement for the 27-inch iMac becoming an easy pick for pros who want a workstation they could bring with them as checked luggage.

New iPad Pro seems like complete overkill. Although the display tech seems niiiicee
It's Pro in the truest sense of the word, mind you — this is the iPad for people who really might need a tablet for heavy-duty work, or at least want the absolute best. It puts the Surface Pro X to shame, I'll say that much.

I was a bit skeptical about the magic keyboard, but it's been surprisingly effective for my 11" iPad Pro. I still wouldn't call this a true laptop replacement setup, though. I'll be upgrading to the new Pro, but haven't decided on which size. I'd have to get the bigger keyboard if I go with the 12.9". Work is going to buy me the 14" MBP, so I'm leaning towards the 11".

PXL_20210426_200629739.jpg

I was a bit skeptical about the magic keyboard, but it's been surprisingly effective for my 11" iPad Pro. I still wouldn't call this a true laptop replacement setup, though. I'll be upgrading to the new Pro, but haven't decided on which size. I'd have to get the bigger keyboard if I go with the 12.9". Work is going to buy me the 14" MBP, so I'm leaning towards the 11".

View attachment 350971
Yeah, if you're going to have a 14-inch laptop, there's no sense getting a tablet that's nearly as big. Get something that emphasizes portability and saves you some money.

I would say: "it depends". The advantage of getting the larger iPad Pro is if for whatever reason you want to have a portable dual monitor setup via Sidecar. You can do that of course with the 11" - but obviously the 12.9" will be closer to the same physical size. If that is important to you or not is of course up to the end user.
(I guess in theory it would also allow you to more closely stack them in your bag. Also probably doesn't matter to most people.)

Nearly perfect of course is the 13.3" Air with the 12.9" iPad Pro.

That's awesome, I hope they do that will macbooks and all other macs. I can't see why anyone would dislike that.

That's awesome, I hope they do that will macbooks and all other macs. I can't see why anyone would dislike that.
As someone who's about to move an iMac across town, a magnetic connector sounds very appealing right about now. Even if it's something I'll only deal with once in the proverbial blue Moon.

As someone who's about to move an iMac across town, a magnetic connector sounds very appealing right about now. Even if it's something I'll only deal with once in the proverbial blue Moon.
Right, why would you want yet another cable tethering you to the wall.

I ordered a 512 11”, didn’t think screen was worth price increase. My 9.7 pro is on its final performance legs and I can’t make 128GB work anymore, so it’ll be nice to have a smooth experience again.

I ordered a 512 11”, didn’t think screen was worth price increase. My 9.7 pro is on its final performance legs and I can’t make 128GB work anymore, so it’ll be nice to have a smooth experience again.
I think the big reason for most to choose the new 12.9 over the 11 is basically the "XDR" display technologies. Mini-LED, HDR, local dimming, 1600 peak brightness, etc. Its been said that it's the best display that some folks have ever seen. Not just on a tablet computing device, but period.
While that statement is likely a little bit hyperbolic, it's probably true - in the sense that most people haven't seen in person really high end display tech. I imagine the 6k XDR display is likely a similar experience to those who haven't seen a pro level display.

Anyway, for all of those tech specs etc, you can see Apple's own Tech Spec comparison page: https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

It's not like you're not going to enjoy the 11". Frankly the 12.9" is too big for most as an everyday tablet carry, unless it's being used as a laptop replacement - then it's probably roughly the right size.

I think the big reason for most to choose the new 12.9 over the 11 is basically the "XDR" display technologies. Mini-LED, HDR, local dimming, 1600 peak brightness, etc. Its been said that it's the best display that some folks have ever seen. Not just on a tablet computing device, but period.
While that statement is likely a little bit hyperbolic, it's probably true - in the sense that most people haven't seen in person really high end display tech. I imagine the 6k XDR display is likely a similar experience to those who haven't seen a pro level display.

Anyway, for all of those tech specs etc, you can see Apple's own Tech Spec comparison page: https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

It's not like you're not going to enjoy the 11". Frankly the 12.9" is too big for most as an everyday tablet carry, unless it's being used as a laptop replacement - then it's probably roughly the right size.
The new 14" and 16" MBPs are supposed to have the miniLED displays, too.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/21/macbook-pro-xdr-displays-second-half-2021/

I went for the new 64GB Apple TV 4k's to replace my older Apple TV 4k's.
I could have just bought a pair of the remote for $120, but for $80 more I get the newer hardware as well. (sold my 2 Apple TV's for $220)

I went for the new 64GB Apple TV 4k's to replace my older Apple TV 4k's.
I could have just bought a pair of the remote for $120, but for $80 more I get the newer hardware as well. (sold my 2 Apple TV's for $220)
Interesting choice. I don't think I could rationalize that, but if you crave the new remote and think you'll want the faster gaming or high frame rate video, I could see an upgrade.

The new 14" and 16" MBPs are supposed to have the miniLED displays, too.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/21/macbook-pro-xdr-displays-second-half-2021/
Believe me when I say I've been following all the info for quite some time. Which is why I noted earlier than the M1 iMac's were a let down, because I think we were all expecting the 32" M1X/M2 models to drop.

It will be interesting to see what happens with MBA/MBP in the second half of 2021. If they actually do drop their next processor this year it's going to really extend Apple's lead. It for sure will make a lot of people question their Windows loyalty in certain industries. Certainly I think it will make all machines less than $4000 on the PC side look like a terrible value by comparison if you're a photo/video editor.
It's for those same reasons why I'm waiting for the iMac. If the 32" iMac is 6k with M2 and Mini-LED and local dimming, it's going to be a no brainer for basically anyone working in the creative space. It will be incredibly hard to justify anything else. Even if it has a $3000 price tag. It would cost at least twice that to buy a PC with a display as good or nearly as fast (this is assuming 12-16 cores and double to triple the GPU performance of M1).

The big question though is how big of a chip can Apple afford to make? The big downside of these desigs is they're approaching the size of monolithic GPU dies from nVidia, which are massive. ARM isn't magic. There is only so many cores and space for GPU + RAM they can stick on a chip before it becomes excessively expensive to fabricate. There's a reason why Apple is investing heavily in TSMC's smaller and smaller nm processes because they need them to keep the size of their dies down as well as keep things like power usage in check. Those are side notes, but at the same time those are the things that should temper our expectations.

In theory for the Mac Pro, Apple could allow for expandable RAM, which will of course remove some of the advantages of M1, which is having the RAM on the die making it absurdly fast. But it would then allow for more total RAM for the applications that need it. I don't know enough about system design to know if it's possible to have on die RAM and expandable RAM simultaneously and/or how complicated that would be to make a system design that way. But I suppose that could be another possibility. I assume the entire point of a pro level ARM Mac though would be to have at minimum expandable internal storage and PCI-E cards like the Afterburner card if not expandable GPU's. We'll see though.

This 11” is everything I wanted and needed. Super quick, smooth display, total night and day from the 9.7” pro — should last me 5 years like before.

Have a cheap Pencil 2.0 knockoff that works almost identical in every way but pressure sensitivity (which is important and used much with the original) so I’ll be getting the 2nd gen pencil soon.

This 11” is everything I wanted and needed. Super quick, smooth display, total night and day from the 9.7” pro — should last me 5 years like before.

Have a cheap Pencil 2.0 knockoff that works almost identical in every way but pressure sensitivity (which is important and used much with the original) so I’ll be getting the 2nd gen pencil soon.
I've watched a lot of YT reviewers say the hype over the 12.9" display was overblown once they had the iPad in hand. I'm glad I stuck with the 11". Mine will be delivered on Monday.

I've watched a lot of YT reviewers say the hype over the 12.9" display was overblown once they had the iPad in hand. I'm glad I stuck with the 11". Mine will be delivered on Monday.
My understanding is that the display is great, but you also really need to value what it brings to the table for content creation or viewing. If not, you only get the larger model for the same reason you always did: because you want that size for content creation or a laptop-like experience.

Depends on the content you use really. If you ever view HDR10 content the better display is worth it.

After nearly a week with my new iPad Pro, I’d say it’s a decent upgrade from the 2018 model. Had I not received $500 trade in for my old one, I wouldn’t have done it, though. One definite positive is Face ID. For the first time, it works great for me. On the previous iPhones and iPads I’ve used, Face ID was awful. Don’t know what’s different about this model, but whatever it is, I’m digging Face ID. I still prefer Touch ID, and hope it comes back to the iPhone.

I had ordered the 512GB version, but was sent the 256GB. When I notified Apple, they offered free AppleCare for 3 years. Couldn’t pass on that. :)(y)

Last edited:
Back