4.2 Ghz from 2600 non K?

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought maximum turbo boost was 3.8 Ghz.

1 thread

d0d876c2.jpg

8 threads

d892b714.jpg

I just flashed the 0403 BIOS for my Maximus IV Gene. I may have to get with UncleWebb to see if the latest TS can enforce 42 multiplier (which is an option in BIOS)

That's it, I'm installing 403 BIOS NOW. Seems worthwhile to do, if it has more BIOS/UEFI options.

turbo boost is to 3.8ghz (default behavior, 1 core). you can overclock it 4 bins more to 4.2ghz(1 core), if you have a P67/Z68 chipset

Core i7-2600

35X - 4 cores active
36X - 3 cores active
37X - 2 cores active
38X - 1 core active

If the bios allows, you can get a +4 overclock on top of the base results above.

39X - 4 cores active
40X - 3 cores active
41X - 2 cores active
42X - 1 core active

In your first screen shot you can see the multiplier getting up to about 41.5. If you use the Task Manager Set Affinity... function, you might see it go a hair higher if you lock 1 thread of P95 to a single thread of your CPU so it doesn't bounce around.

There is always lots of background activity on a windows PC so you will never see the full 42 multiplier for the entire 1 second monitoring period. Cores wake up and the maximum goes down. Cores go back to sleep and the multiplier goes back up to 42. This is going on hundreds of times a second. ThrottleStop accurately reports the average multiplier when this is happening.

Unfortunately this CPU is limited by Intel and there is nothing software can do to unlock it. You won't be able to ever get the full 42 multiplier when this CPU is fully loaded. It's not possible.

Thanks for the explanation Uncle. The weird thing is, with this new BIOS, I have to uncheck the Set Multiplier > Turbo option to get maximum turbo boost, whereas before checking this option got me the highest clocks.

Unfortunately I don't have enough Sandy Bridge hardware or documentation from Intel to fully support the newer Sandy Bridge CPUs. Maybe someday. Some motherboard and bios versions are setting the multiplier and turbo control registers completely differently than what the Intel documentation shows. If you have the time can you run my MSR Tool and show me what MSR 0x199 and what MSR 0x1AD show when you are getting the highest multiplier. Reboot and don't run ThrottleStop so it doesn't interfere with your results. I originally wrote a program similar to ThrottleStop called i7 Turbo GT which will accurately show your multiplier for each thread so you can use it when testing.

i7 Turbo GT
http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8

MSR Tool
http://www.mediafire.com/?myjkxzkzzmd

You can PM me this info if you would like to help the cause. You can run two instances of MSR Tool so you can show me both registers on a single screen shot. Enter the numbers above into the MSR Number box and then click on the Read MSR button to show me what's hiding in there.

Jeremy, did you flash your BIOS? I'm pretty sure you're using a K CPU and most of the reviews of peeps using this board are 'only' getting 4.5 Ghz OC's. What's your OC?

Back