4/13 Gold Box Item - Wireless N Gaming Adapter @ 12 PST

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
Its been a while since one of these came up on a deal from my recollection.

Its up at 12:00 pm PST for 2 hours.

I'm guessing its this adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wire...48VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334318093&sr=8-1

Trendnet TEW-647GA

I have two. They were a PITA until I updated the latest firmware and made some setting changes so it could leverage the N-band properly. By default its set not to. Since then they've worked well.

When you do the firmware update, put the adapter back to its defaults. I did the flash with a different IP for the device than the default and it messed it up until I did a hardware reset and reflash.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When I need to add wireless to something I buy a good router that's compatible with the Tomato USB firmware. It has a wireless bridge mode built in. It takes two clicks to activate. I find that this solution is much more robust, and usually cheaper, than the purpose built devices. Tomato USB is stable, well tested, and loaded with features. Firmware in client adapters usually isn't.

Quite a few routers are compatible with Tomato USB so you can always find a good deal on a quality unit. I picked up a few nice Cisco N routers with gigabit the other day for $23 each for exactly this purpose.

I know that's a viable option. But flashing a router's firmware with 3rd party code so you can make it a bridge isn't two clicks. And carries a risk for a beginner.

And in some situations less is more. the smaller footprint if the adapter gives an opportunity to get it out of the way.

Also, will a game console work with a Tomato USB flashed router?

If it would not, then this would be an excellent choice for someone wanting to run a console.

Also, will a game console work with a Tomato USB flashed router?

If it would not, then this would be an excellent choice for someone wanting to run a console.

No, the tomato will work. In fact calling these game adapters sells them short. You should be able to use them on a TV or blu-ray, either these adapters or a flashed router. I have flashed router on a VoIP phone.

I just use a Buffalo G300N router which has a custom version of DD-WRT installed from the factory which supports wireless bridged mode. I have my Xbox, PS3, and Wii all connected to it. Can't beat wireless for 4+ systems for only $60

I use a Buffalo AirStation N300 to connect my home theater and game consoles to my wireless network. More expensive, but it connects 4 devices and is compatible with both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QVN2NE/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back