4.1 ghz with Pentium D 805!

RooK said:
toms hardware is intel's bitch... its just a big advertisement because conroes are going to sell so fast and they don't want to be stuck with a lot of unsold chips.

Good point. Conroes ARE gonna sell fast because they ARE great chips. Funny thing is, this is overclocking. Other than a small percentage of enthusiasts, Who overclocks? Can't do it easily on a Dell, HP, or Gateway. It's a niche market. People wanted a cheap dual core, Intel supplied it. Tom's hardware is just another site showing you that you can overclock an 805. /clap /cheer! Welcome to the other um-teen sites and forums that have done the same. This is a great overclocker, a great chip, and a great article outlining what you can possibly do with the chip. Good show! Quit your whining and go back to surfing Anand.

If you're gonna OC to 200W, you'd be better off spending the extra cash for a 9X0 series... $80 more for a 920/930.

i might have to look into one of these, by the time i am building a new rig they should be dirt cheap since the new line will be out.

ICE_9 said:
Good point. Conroes ARE gonna sell fast because they ARE great chips. Funny thing is, this is overclocking. Other than a small percentage of enthusiasts, Who overclocks? Can't do it easily on a Dell, HP, or Gateway. It's a niche market. People wanted a cheap dual core, Intel supplied it. Tom's hardware is just another site showing you that you can overclock an 805. /clap /cheer! Welcome to the other um-teen sites and forums that have done the same. This is a great overclocker, a great chip, and a great article outlining what you can possibly do with the chip. Good show! Quit your whining and go back to surfing Anand.

well said

I just hate it how people compare these to the FX60. For what it's worth, it's an awesome chip.... but by no means an FX60.

It's like the car argument, you can rice and spice up a civic to get to a Corvette z06 Speeds, but it's still no z06.

For the money, this chip is a bargain, but not to compete against the FX60. Compare apples to apples. I was thinking of buying this chip but I'm waiting till the conroe and hopefuly they have a cheap version so I can toss it in my server :D

unless your pluggin this fuckin thing into your neighbors electrical sockets figure the EXTRA exlectric costs on the monthly bill for this thing sucking dowsn crazy power every month even a extra 30 bucks a month over 18 months

jcopin said:
unless your pluggin this fuckin thing into your neighbors electrical sockets figure the EXTRA exlectric costs on the monthly bill for this thing sucking dowsn crazy power every month even a extra 30 bucks a month over 18 months

On an overclocked 3.6, running 2 instances of F@H, 100% processor usage 168 hours a week, my power bill gets hit by 5 dollars at max a month. Your power company is raping you if you get charged that much per KWh.

ICE_9 said:
On an overclocked 3.6, running 2 instances of F@H, 100% processor usage 168 hours a week, my power bill gets hit by 5 dollars at max a month. Your power company is raping you if you get charged that much per KWh.
How do you know it's only $5? Are you running nothing else in your home, but that computer, and your elec bill is $5? Do you have a device that reads exactly what you pull from the power strip hooked up to that computer?

I'm curious how you figured it out for two reasons:
1. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't believe you... I could be wrong...
2. If you really know how to figure this out, then I'm interested to found out what amount of power my PC (Opt165 and XTX OCed) uses...

Thanks.

g0dM@n said:
How do you know it's only $5? Are you running nothing else in your home, but that computer, and your elec bill is $5? Do you have a device that reads exactly what you pull from the power strip hooked up to that computer?

2. If you really know how to figure this out, then I'm interested to found out what amount of power my PC (Opt165 and XTX OCed) uses...

Thanks.

I used to run XP 1700's barebones clocked to 2.4ghz at 100% load... they used to cost each 5 bucks a month. I'm pretty sure your entire rig would be way more than that, at LEAST $15 a month. $5 a month was with nothing other than the board, cpu, ram, and a 1.2gb hard drive.

g0dM@n said:
If you're gonna OC to 200W, you'd be better off spending the extra cash for a 9X0 series... $80 more for a 920/930.
QFT, 9 series is so much better from many angles.

I really want to know how he figured out this $5 bill for a 24/7 OCed 805...

g0dM@n said:
How do you know it's only $5?
$5 buys 55.6KW-Hours at $0.09/KW-H (an average mentioned earlier or in another thread here).

55.6KW-Hours is enough electricity to power a 77W device for 720 hours (30 days @ 24 hours/day). It's pretty unlikely that a 805 @ 3.6GHz system only uses 77W. ;)

More realistically, a typical system with a Pentium D 805 @ 3.6GHz (stock volts), 80W video card (est 25W power consumption idle), 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive running a non-graphic program @ 100% load 24 hours a day uses around $12/month in electricity @ $0.09/KW-H.

A X2 3800+ (@ stock) system with similar components under the same conditions would cost around $9.50/month to run @ 100% load 24 hours a day. Using onboard video would save around $1.60/month on either system.

The $2.50/month difference isn't really bad. The X2 3800+ costs over $150 more than the 805. It would take 5 years for the X2 power consumption savings to make up for the price difference. :p

can anyone comment on how the 805 performs in single threaded stuff like games? when oc'ed to about 3ghz and maybe a little beyond that, what would its amd equivalent (or closest thing) to it be?

g0dM@n said:

Thanks.

1. No offense taken. As for further in the thread, I am off on my number of $5 per month under 100% usage. But its no where near $30 a month with no full time usage you were stating.

2. Kill-a-watt meter http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

pxc said:
$5 buys 55.6KW-Hours at $0.09/KW-H (an average mentioned earlier or in another thread here).

55.6KW-Hours is enough electricity to power a 77W device for 720 hours (30 days @ 24 hours/day). It's pretty unlikely that a 805 @ 3.6GHz system only uses 77W. ;)

More realistically, a typical system with a Pentium D 805 @ 3.6GHz (stock volts), 80W video card (est 25W power consumption idle), 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive running a non-graphic program @ 100% load 24 hours a day uses around $12/month in electricity @ $0.09/KW-H.

A X2 3800+ (@ stock) system with similar components under the same conditions would cost around $9.50/month to run @ 100% load 24 hours a day. Using onboard video would save around $1.60/month on either system.

The $2.50/month difference isn't really bad. The X2 3800+ costs over $150 more than the 805. It would take 5 years for the X2 power consumption savings to make up for the price difference. :p

Wow...I didn't read the whole thread, but that was interesting.

o0akoni0o said:
can anyone comment on how the 805 performs in single threaded stuff like games? when oc'ed to about 3ghz and maybe a little beyond that, what would its amd equivalent (or closest thing) to it be?
From my personal experience, dual core does nothing for games yet.

ChronicTrees said:
well i knew that the dual core aspect yielded no advantage. i just wanted to know what kind of performance i would see from this chip in games and single threaded stuff. like in terms of games, what's a comparable single core chip?

ChronicTrees said:
Try Quake4. ;) It gets a significant boost from dual core, so other future Doom 3 engine games should also benefit.

Back