3yrs later I still had plastic on my EVGA 2080Ti Black

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I was blowing dust out of my PC earlier and I was taking a closer look at my EVGA 2080Ti and lo and behold I noticed there was what I thought was shipping plastic along the edge. EVGA does an amazing job putting plastic on their cards, it's hard to tell it's even there. It took me a while to scrape it up with my fingernail, and then I got to do the satisfying "peel".

How's that for delayed gratification? 😂

I was blowing dust out of my PC earlier and I was taking a closer look at my EVGA 2080Ti and lo and behold I noticed there was what I thought was shipping plastic along the edge. EVGA does an amazing job putting plastic on their cards, it's hard to tell it's even there. It took me a while to scrape it up with my fingernail, and then I got to do the satisfying "peel".

How's that for delayed gratification? 😂
Was that shipping plastic affected by card temps?

If you’re asking if the plastic was melted by the heat, then no, not all. It was only along the edge and on so perfectly I could barely see it. As I recall my last EVGA card had the same problem, there was shipping plastic on the card I had missed for months.

I find myself missing plastic on certain pieces of the mother board from time time. Heck I pulled my 3090 out the other day and forgot to take the plastic off the "E's" of the fan hubs. :LOL:

I find myself missing plastic on certain pieces of the mother board from time time. Heck I pulled my 3090 out the other day and forgot to take the plastic off the "E's" of the fan hubs. :LOL:
Dude... no joke, blew the PC radiator out with a compressor and took the PC all apart for a good cleaning 2 weeks ago. While doing that, after 1.5 years, just noticed and took that plastic off the e's on the fans as well!!! Hardly the first cleaning either... LOL

I've repaired lots of Asus Z97 boards and almost no one takes the plastic off the southbridge chip heatsink.

I've had this happen before, sometimes the plastic is on there so perfectly you can't even tell until eventually a corner starts peeling years later.

Dude... no joke, blew the PC radiator out with a compressor and took the PC all apart for a good cleaning 2 weeks ago. While doing that, after 1.5 years, just noticed and took that plastic off the e's on the fans as well!!! Hardly the first cleaning either... LOL
I've seen video cards about a decade old that still had the evga shipping plastic on the fans.

I've had this happen before, sometimes the plastic is on there so perfectly you can't even tell until eventually a corner starts peeling years later.
You can feel the difference between the plastic and metal surfaces, though. You should know it's there when you handle the card for installation.

You can feel the difference between the plastic and metal surfaces, though. You should know it's there when you handle the card for installation.
It's not always on a metal surface, sometimes on smooth plastic they don't want to get scuffed up in transit/construction or whatever.

When I pulled my old GBT Z390 a couple weeks ago, I still had plastic down on some of the shiny bits. Noticed I never removed it from my headphones yesterday too. You are not alone.

I"ll see your 2080Ti and raise a R9 Fury.

Passing it on to a friend in need tomorrow. I decided I'll peel the plastic and steal the satisfaction...

When I first installed my Dark Hero, I didn't realize there was plastic film on some of the heatsinks. ASUS had put them on well, only noticed when I scratched one and thought I had scratched the heatsink.

Last edited:
I always remove the protection film before using a GPU, but that's just me. It probably helps with temperatures a bit to boot.

I have a 2011 vehicle that still has the protective plastic in the door seals where the model name is. I just never ripped it off.

I've repaired lots of Asus Z97 boards and almost no one takes the plastic off the southbridge chip heatsink.

To add to this, it didn't die with Z97, the spirit has carried on into 1151. I had a large batch of Prime Z170-A and Z270-A, hundreds of used boards, and they all had the plastic on the southbridge and some even had it on the rear IO shroud. It did make cleaning them a lot easier as I just peeled the plastic off.

It's basically for that reason I've removed the protective film from my GPUs, due to concerns about the material breaking down due to age/temps and that it'd ironically ruin the surface it was meant to protect by removing it in such a state (as has happened to some adhesive tape I've used in the past).

Back