3X Multimonitor setup, or 1X 2K or 4K Monitor?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
OK I need your opinion:

I recently got an ASUS MG248Q 144Hz monitor, to go with my GTX 1080 Founders Edition (I know, overkill), and I liked it so much, I got two additional ones, and setup a triple multi-mointor setup to play only FPS games (COD, Battlefield, etc.)

Well to be honest, after two weeks of using the setup, I am not that satisfied with the lack of game support (OK maybe the Battlefield games utilize multi-monitor correctly), but other games such as COD, Black OPS III, etc., are either have graphics stretching issues, or other anomalies that really does not warrant the $700 dollar that I spent on these 3 monitors (I got them for $265 a pop at a local Micro Center)

What do you think, should I return them and get a 2K or 4K single IPS monitor with proper G-Sync, instead?

I also know that in the recent CES they announced new upcoming gaming monitors with HDR, and other new cool features, should I wait for those instead?

Is there an ASUS 4K, with 144Hz in the market?

Thanks for letting me know!

Well. I use multiple (4x) 2K Monitors and I've liked it for a long time. Since you already have 3 x monitors, please go to wsgf.com and find out if there is solutions to the games that you are trying to play.
You will be able to try out more titles to see if you like it more.

Now, I personally want to simplify my setup, but I have to work with many adapters, and a DP monitor that can possibly break my Eyefinity group once I turn it on. So I've been looking into getting a 46"+ 4K Monitors to replace at least 2 of my monitors.

or

Getting 3x 40" 4K Monitors and replacing all my monitors.

I don't know whether or not I'd miss my extra monitors. Historically I've always had extra monitors except in the Win 95/98 days. And I have many many many browsers open, windows explorer windows, and other tools up constantly. When I work on Videos and Music I also use my monitors to full effect. But I have used my friends setup who has a single 40" 4K monitor. It's okay, but a little too small for me to go solo. But I was able to add custom resolutions to his screen and running games at 3840x1620 is pretty nice. It's almost like eyefinity, but it's way more manageable GPU wise, and you aren't rendering more of the game you don't even look at most of the time. I swear I only look at 5120x1600 of my 7680x1600 pixels (or 2 of the monitors worth of pixels) when playing games.

What size of a 4K monitor are you looking at? ASUS has a 27" 4K 144Hz Monitor coming out eventually. It checks all your boxes, but it's small. If you use extra resolution for more desktop space (like I do), you will be unhappy with that monitor.

Personally, I'm leaning towards going 46"+ 4k and 2 of my 30" 2K monitors in a PLP (Portrait Landscape Portrait) setup.

I started multimonitor gaming with an AMD eyefinity system in 2010 with 3 HP ZR24w's. I think the cons of these systems have outweighed the benefits. Get an Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440 G-sync monitor or if you want the equivalent in Freesync, the LG 34UC88-B. If you just want a 16:9 aspect ratio then maybe the Asus Rog Swift PG279Q 2560x1440 monitor. I'm not a big fan of 27" 2560x1440 but love 32" 2560x1440 -- there just aren't any G-sync monitors at this size. The 34 inch 21:9 is the same height as the 27 inch 21:9.
http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

To me, a 40 inch 3440x1440 G-sync or Freesync monitor would be the ideal but don't exist to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm using a 24" ASUS 144Hz 1080p and 28" ASUS 4K 60Hz setup. Both are TN panels, neither has G-Sync. Which I use as my gaming monitor depends on the game (mostly if it supports high refresh rates and would really benefit from them). The 24" has 120Hz Light Boost mode forced on in Windows as at 144Hz I find the backlight too bright. I contemplated getting a second and third 24" panel before going with the smallish 4K one. I tend to game or web browse on one and watch Youtube or TV shows on the other.

Fast Sync hasn't been mentioned post-Pascal launch, but it doesn't work with multiple monitors because reasons and I don't think it'll be fixed.

Regardless of what I'm doing gaming I can't picture going back to a single monitor setup. Being able to look at two applications fullscreened at the same time is just too useful. I won't have the money (or need really) to upgrade anytime soon, but would probably want high refresh rate, 4K, and OLED in my next gaming screen. G-Sync would be nice but seems to add ~$200-300 to the overall price tag and I've never used it, so I don't miss having it. I do like high refresh rates and low response times for playing old games in emulators as trying to play old Nintendo games on an HDTV is horrible with the input lag.

So to finally answer the OP, I'd go with a single nice monitor for gaming and a second (or third or fourth), so you have space work and handling everything else.

I included a screenshot of my current desktop. Redacted a little, so as to hide my shame.

Attachments

• Work.png
    Work.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 30
[QUOTE="evilpaul, post: 1042829998, member: 298138"
So to finally answer the OP, I'd go with a single nice monitor for gaming and a second (or third or fourth), so you have space work and handling everything else.

.[/QUOTE]

I run 7 monitors myself, 3x 30" for Eyefinity gaming and 4x 22" for secondary stuff when I'm multitasking.

I agree, gaming can be on 1 monitor so you buy a really really good (and expensive) monitor for that and buy different (and cheaper) monitors for other stuff.

I plan on switching to 1x 43" 4K and put the 4x 22" monitors 2 on each side.

I prefer a single large monitor. I briefly even had a 30" 2560x1600 and a 27" 2560x1440 and couldn't come up with anything useful to put on both monitors for home use. I now have an ultrawide at work and it is fantastic for having two apps side by side (in my case a web browser and a code editor, with a console on laptop screen) but for gaming I don't think it's that great.

For 1440p I feel 27" is the perfect size but for 4K I would want a bit bigger, maybe 30-32".

4k hdr should be coming soon. Seeing hdr TV prices we should have a lot of good options. But right now buyer beware

I was sort of having the same dilemma. My answer was to do all of the above. So I have a triple screen 1080p 144z setup on one side of the office and a 4k screen on the other side and switch between them as needed or desired.

Back