3X GTX 480 Tri-Sli

Vegasr

Gawd
With all the people selling off their GTX 480s last month in a panic, I was able to snag a Evga GTX 480sc along with another DD waterblock. This bad boy was added to my exisiting 2X Evga 480sc Sli setup.

Tri-Sli is bliss on my Dell U3011, and gaming at 2560X1600 is a sight to see. My initial 3DMark Vantage run with the cards at stock speeds was 44K and some change. Rock On all you GTX 480 owners!

img6054pt.jpg

By vegasr at 2010-12-13
img6049f.jpg

By vegasr at 2010-12-13

img6048x.jpg

By vegasr at 2010-12-13

Last edited:
What are your load temps on the 480's? Keeping mine, trying to get a cheap second.

Mid to high 50s using Evga's OC Scanner. They are on a Thermochill PA120.3 rad with a 655 pump.

The setup is nice but how much more heat are you pumping into the room with that 3rd video card?

The setup is nice but how much more heat are you pumping into the room with that 3rd video card?

Probably some but really none that I notice at all.

I fought with the upgrade to the 580 temptation but with the 480s watercooled, the heat and noise issues are a non-factor, that and the cost to upgrade to me was crazy. Only reason i went with the third 480 was because of the awesome price and the fact I wanted to give Tri-Sli a go with the 30" monitor. Extremely happy overall.

Nice setup! yeah I sold two of my 480s for $500 and kept the third for my backup machine, not really in a panic, just wanted to upgrade. The 580s are smoothing out some rough edges where things were stressed in 2D/3D Surround. I honestly don't notice the difference in heat and noise.

Nice setup! yeah I sold two of my 480s for $500 and kept the third for my backup machine, not really in a panic, just wanted to upgrade. The 580s are smoothing out some rough edges where things were stressed in 2D/3D Surround. I honestly don't notice the difference in heat and noise.

Thanks heatlesssun!. If I could have sold my 480s for that much, then upgrading would have been a no-brainer. However resale prices dropped like a brick, mainly because so many bought the 580s before selling off their 480s. Either way they are great cards to own. I'm counting on this Tri-Sli setup to last me until the "real" new cards from Nvidia come out, maybe the end of next year.

I bought my 580s before selling my 480s, I always make sure I like my new cards before selling the old ones. In fact selling 2 480s for $500 total was a piece of cake even after the 580 came out, all I did was check for an asking price in GenMay and that was it, easiest and fastest resell I've ever done.

I think the 480 kicks ass and the 580 is a solid redesign. Fermi has just impressed the hell out of me in SLI, the performance is just amazing. AMD has good cards these days but when you through in SLI scaling with Surround, PhysX, CUDA and 3D AMD just lacks punch in the ultra-high end right now.

I would have kept the 480s and waited for Kepler but I just had some games like I said that I'm driving in 3D Surround like Lost Planet that were just at the cusp of the performance level I wanted the the 580 did drive it over the top though I imagine you could do the same with oc'ing since you're on water.

Back