3x 30" Portrait 6970 CF Eyefinity vs 580 SLI Surround Showdown

@ Vega, any eta of when the numbers will be re-posted? Sorry if it was asked and adressed already.

ZR30W apparently doesn't have a scaler. :) If that is true, then the U3011 would be definitely a no go for me because I can't abide even 15ms of input lag. My U2410s in game mode are barely acceptable.

Then the ZR30W may be a good choice for those looking for new monitors today. I already had at least one of my 30's but the time that monitor came out. I wanted matching displays so I went and got two more Dells. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

It's "dual" not "duel". Additionally a 2nd 6970 will probably serve you better than a single dual GPU card. The dual GPU cards these days tend to have gimped clocks in order to keep their TDP to 300 watts or less.

Hell no. From what I understand those monitors have a built in scaler and considerable input lag. Not everyone is sensitive to that but I sure as hell am. I couldn't live with that. So for me the 3007WFP-HC is the only choice. Unfortunately they are in short supply these days.

No, I went with 3x ZR30w because they have no scalar and minimal input lag just like the 3007. Its the U3011 that has the scalar and input lag.

No, I went with 3x ZR30w because they have no scalar and minimal input lag just like the 3007. Its the U3011 that has the scalar and input lag.

I wasn't sure about the ZR30w. Again those weren't out when I bought my first 30" monitor.

@ Vega, any eta of when the numbers will be re-posted? Sorry if it was asked and adressed already.

Ya, to say I got sidetracked with all of the Displayport and tearing issues is an understatement. nVidia has already released new beta drivers for the 580s with improvements and unless AMD is completely daft, should have new 6970 drivers this week.

I can finish up the 6970 benchmarks and compare them against the 580 benchmarks I did with the previous driver revision. Then, once the new 6970 drivers come out I can re-do all of the benchmarks versus the 580's with both cards being on somewhat more "mature" drivers.

It looks like my area is fogged in tonight so there is a good chance I won't be able to fly and come home early to knock out the rest of these benchmarks.

This kind of scares me and makes me want to return the 2x 6950's I just ordered. I don't want tearing :(

U must be on the east coast as well, here in ga. The while the state shuts down w. A snow flurry and we got 7 inches last night

Thanks for doing these tests! Helps the wait on my 3rd display

Im really excited to see the results on this one im working on a new multi monitor setup and still deciding which cards to get

Holy mother, this is what I'm talking about: http://www.techpowerup.com/137935/A...Radeon-HD-6970-DirectCu-II-Graphics-Card.html

73c.jpg

73a.jpg

Wow, that is a f'ing monstrosity. So that $500 video card plus $300 worth of active DP adapters is all I need for eyefinity without screen tearing? What a bargain...

Wonder how much it will cost?

it always seems to me that if a non stock version costs more than 50$ over the stock price it can never really give enough of a performance boost to justify the price

Wow, that is a f'ing monstrosity. So that $500 video card plus $300 worth of active DP adapters is all I need for eyefinity without screen tearing? What a bargain...

lol, you better buy two of everything just to be sure.

Here is an interesting article about Displayport:

http://homenetworking01.info/2010/07/understanding-the-new-displayport-video-connection-standard/

My favorite quote: "Increased distance between host and display -

The distance between the host device and the display has been increased to 15 metres without the need for repeaters or amplifiers. This would benefit large video-display setups where the display computer would need to be away from the display screen or projector unit, such as meeting rooms, churches, cinemas and the like."

What, at 640x480 resolution you get 15 meters? I cannot get a stable signal at a measly 5 meters at 2560x1600.

Hello Vega,

Could you give information regarding to heat and noise of 6970 xfire build?

All the monitors are on the same card (primary). There seems to be heat and noise problems for the primary card.

What was your experience and what is your cooling setup right now?
What is your idling temperature and fan speed?

for my eyefinity setup (5040x1080), over 60C with low usage in desktop with fan speed between 30-40% for primary card.

Second card is 35C...

Hello Vega,

Could you give information regarding to heat and noise of 6970 xfire build?

All the monitors are on the same card (primary). There seems to be heat and noise problems for the primary card.

What was your experience and what is your cooling setup right now?
What is your idling temperature and fan speed?

for my eyefinity setup (5040x1080), over 60C with low usage in desktop with fan speed between 30-40% for primary card.

Second card is 35C...

When running more than 1 monitor the 2D idle clocks will increase and hence cause increased temps as well. This happens on all nvidia / ATI cards.

Ya, to say I got sidetracked with all of the Displayport and tearing issues is an understatement. nVidia has already released new beta drivers for the 580s with improvements and unless AMD is completely daft, should have new 6970 drivers this week.

Any idea if those driver improvements will be across the board and effect the 480s in SLi? I'm considering two 480s instead of 580s due to the cost savings.

Picture of that behemoth bothers me not. Look at how big the HD5970 was, and then how much bigger the ludicrously oversized Asus Ares was.

Any idea if those driver improvements will be across the board and effect the 480s in SLi? I'm considering two 480s instead of 580s due to the cost savings.

Depends on what configuration you have. But the 570s would usually be a better choice than the 480s due to better power efficiency and noise issues with the 480s.

The length of the 6990 is to be expected. But I just noticed that is a TRIPLE slot card! That could cause issues with certain mobos and case layouts.

When running more than 1 monitor the 2D idle clocks will increase and hence cause increased temps as well. This happens on all nvidia / ATI cards.

Thanks for the information though I already know that.

I just wanted to get information from Vega for his eyefinity and crossfire system.:cool:

Here's what I have experienced so far with my CF setup:

System Specs:

i7 @ 4.2 on air
6GB ram
ASUS PX58D-E (BTW, due to connectors and case I am NOT able to use bottom PCI-E slot for CF!!!!! :( )
2x 6950 flashed 6970

Due to MOBO and Case layout, I have to place the cards right next to each other. This creates hardly ANY room between them to breathe. I am basing these temps on the highest temps shown on GPU-Z. (Always Sensor #3)

WITH normal fan controlled settings:

Idle Temps: 69C - 71C
Load Temps: 98C - 101+C

These numbers scared the hell out of me. I have a great case with tons of air pushing through it, but because the cards were sandwiched on top of each other it just wasn't enough.

WITH 50% manual fan control:

Idle Temps: 49C - 53C
Load Temps: 81C - 85C

The noise is audible, but it sure is better than the temps I was getting before. I also wedged a very small piece of folded paper between the cards just to give SOME breathing room. Not sure it made a lot of difference but temps are better.

If you can, give them space. They need it. I am tempted to send them back and pick up the newer cooling designed models, but I am not sure when they will be out AND if they will be flashable. (I'm thinking no on the flash part).

Just information that may be useful.

Daines

50-60% fan is definitely necessary. I think some of these manufacturers have VERY LIBERAL fan curves in their BIOSes.

Thanks for the info.

I saw 95+C on load and that was enough for me. So this seems as normal for everyone. :D

I cannot replace my second card to another slot due to the short xfire bridge.
I might try to get a longer one to test 16x/8x configuration which will hopefully help ventilation.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The xFire bridge situation is complete bullshit. AMD can't even design their air coolers correctly and then they include the shortest cables for XFire, brilliant move.

Even motherboards with space for 3 PCI-E slots don't necessarily include long XFire bridges. My MSI board did but my Asus board doesn't.

The xFire bridge situation is complete bullshit. AMD can't even design their air coolers correctly and then they include the shortest cables for XFire, brilliant move.

Even motherboards with space for 3 PCI-E slots don't necessarily include long XFire bridges. My MSI board did but my Asus board doesn't.

You can actually order longer Crossfire bridges from ASUS. I've also found them on Ebay. That's what I did when I had dual 4870 X2's in my machine.

You can actually order longer Crossfire bridges from ASUS. I've also found them on Ebay. That's what I did when I had dual 4870 X2's in my machine.

Sure you can order them, but I don't expect to buy high-end parts only to have to shell out a few dollars here and there (half of which is shipping) for shit that should be included.

For instance, the Asus P7P55WS has five PCI-E slots and comes with every single kind of SLI bridge...but only one XFire bridge. Granted, it's got an Nforce 200 chipset, and it doesn't even advertise that it can do Tri-Fire, though any board with three real PCI-E slots can.

Vega

So running 3 monitors on different inputs is causing the screen tearing?

Im currently running a 2 3007's.. one via DVI and one via mini dp and im not having any screen tearing.

Sure you can order them, but I don't expect to buy high-end parts only to have to shell out a few dollars here and there (half of which is shipping) for shit that should be included.

For instance, the Asus P7P55WS has five PCI-E slots and comes with every single kind of SLI bridge...but only one XFire bridge. Granted, it's got an Nforce 200 chipset, and it doesn't even advertise that it can do Tri-Fire, though any board with three real PCI-E slots can.

Well typically Crossfire bridges come with the video cards. Not the motherboards. I'd hardly blame the motherboard manufacturers on that when it was ATI's decision to include that hardware with the cards instead.

I read most of the thread but it's really long now. Does anyone know what is causing the screen tearing on the 6970s? Is it a driver issue or something with the display adapters? Is this happening at other resolutions or just with 3x30 setups?

I read most of the thread but it's really long now. Does anyone know what is causing the screen tearing on the 6970s? Is it a driver issue or something with the display adapters?

Not sure. When I had my Radeon HD 5970 I didn't have any screen tearing. I had two monitors connected via dual link DVI ports and one connected through the mini-display port to display port and an active display port to dual link DVI adapter. It could be a 6xxx series thing.

Not sure. When I had my Radeon HD 5970 I didn't have any screen tearing. I had two monitors connected via dual link DVI ports and one connected through the mini-display port to display port and an active display port to dual link DVI adapter. It could be a 6xxx series thing.

Yeah just some weird decisions by ati this time.. NOT including 2 dual dvi ports was just asinine and now this screen tearing issue.

I'm running a similar screen setup as Kenji and waiting on my 3rd 3007, I don't experience any tearing as well...but I will wait until I receive my 3rd display before I give my end results

Yeah just some weird decisions by ati this time.. NOT including 2 dual dvi ports was just asinine and now this screen tearing issue.

Well all the I/O they've included in general increases costs and increases the complexity of the PCBs. I still think it was a mistake to have both a single-link and a dual-link DVI port on the cards. Single-link ports shouldn't even be used on a modern card.

I'm running a similar screen setup as Kenji and waiting on my 3rd 3007, I don't experience any tearing as well...but I will wait until I receive my 3rd display before I give my end results

Drop me a pm and let me know.. this is holding me back from pulling the trigger on a 3rd monitor now.

Vega

So running 3 monitors on different inputs is causing the screen tearing?

Im currently running a 2 3007's.. one via DVI and one via mini dp and im not having any screen tearing.

You running Vsync on? That's where the tear happens.

I read most of the thread but it's really long now. Does anyone know what is causing the screen tearing on the 6970s? Is it a driver issue or something with the display adapters? Is this happening at other resolutions or just with 3x30 setups?

Yes, it is for the 6900 series. It's a physical hardware limitation between using mixed DP/DVI-D as they cannot "sync" properly under VSync on.

On another note, ran into AMD problems as usual. The CCC doesn't allow me to select 1920x1200 resolution which is the same 16:10, but lets me select 1680x1050 which is 16:10. Why on Earth would they not put 1920x1200 as an option there so I can knock out the 5760x1200 benchmarks? Then I try and force the resolution in ATI Tray Tools and it BSODS my Win 7 lol. God AMD drivers suck.

You running Vsync on? That's where the tear happens.

Yes, it is for the 6900 series. It's a physical hardware limitation between using mixed DP/DVI-D as they cannot "sync" properly under VSync on.

I do not use Vsync.. and the tearing is not occurring so if I turn on vsync I should be able to create the issue?

Also if thats the case why wouldnt you just turn it off?

I was going to suggest one of those 3 DP-->1 DVI adapters but the res maxes out at 3200 x 1200 or something.

Back