3TB Hitachi Deskstar Internal Hard Drive (Retail Kit) $107

2. 2TB for $129 is vastly inferior to 3TB for $107

I guess it depends on what your going to do with the drive since the Western Digital Black 2TB 7200rpm 64MB cache will be a whole lot faster than the Hitachi Desktar 3TB 5400rpm 32MB cache and the Hitachi doesn't have the reliability or warranty of Western Digital's Black drives either.

Having a 3tb shit drive is not fine, it's stupid.

Hitachi currently makes the most reliable 3TB drive, consumer or enterprise. Instead of relying on old assumptions, how about you research something before you run your mouth. I bet you think that norton AV is still shit, huh?

Here's a tip for life: Things change, if you don't find the information important enough to keep up with, then don't try and discuss it. Plain and simple.

Can't believe people are still holding onto the past. My very first SATA drive is a hitachi 120GB and the drive is still kickin strong. Dealing with Western Digital warranty was a nightmare, never again. My seagate 1.5 just died so I'm in for 2. More than enough, but you can never have enough :)

Not a bad deal but I'd hate to put everything I own on ONE 3TB drive, would much better prefer three 1TB harddrives in case one dies on me.

Sure you said the same thing when 200G drives came out, then 250, then 320, then 500,. then 640, then 1T,.... get my drift.

i do feel what you mean, 3T drives are new, but i havent seen any "mass" failure reports yet... but like anything these days, always keep a backup if it is important.

for $110, i would grab 4 of these for a raid 10 no problems!

I guess it depends on what your going to do with the drive since the Western Digital Black 2TB 7200rpm 64MB cache will be a whole lot faster than the Hitachi Desktar 3TB 5400rpm 32MB cache and the Hitachi doesn't have the reliability or warranty of Western Digital's Black drives either.

Funny, and i would say personal opinion, unless you got proof on the reliability side..

i buy only hitachi drives now 500G, 750G and 1T drives, i got 3 servers. all have 8 drives in raid 10 now running for almost 2 years and not a single failure, meanwhile i got several WD drives sent in for RMA from 1 week old to a few months old/

and people here can claim the same about ANY other company.

Funny, and i would say personal opinion, unless you got proof on the reliability side..

i buy only hitachi drives now 500G, 750G and 1T drives, i got 3 servers. all have 8 drives in raid 10 now running for almost 2 years and not a single failure, meanwhile i got several WD drives sent in for RMA from 1 week old to a few months old/

and people here can claim the same about ANY other company.

We're not comparing random drives from Hitachi to random drives from Western Digital. We're comparing two specific models the Western Digital Black WD2002FAEX and the Hitachi DeskStar 5K3000 0S03228 of which the Western Digital offers performance that rivals that of the 10k rpm Raptors while carrying a 5 year advanced replacement warranty and offering arguably higher reliability since its basically the same drive as the enterprise level RE4 drives from Western Digital which from what I can tell really only differ in the RE4 having a different firmware optimized for use in RAID.

Last edited:
How about some real world, non-ancedotal-this-is-what-happened-to-me info on a large installation? It's not the same drive as this deal, but it sure puts the IBM/Hitachi DeathStar argument to rest - along with the argument that enterprise drives are better:

We are constantly looking at new hard drives, evaluating them for reliability and power consumption. The Hitachi 3TB drive (Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630) is our current favorite for both its low power demand and astounding reliability. The Western Digital and Seagate equivalents we tested saw much higher rates of popping out of RAID arrays and drive failure. Even the Western Digital Enterprise Hard Drives had the same high failure rates. The Hitachi drives, on the other hand, perform wonderfully.

Backblaze has 16 petabytes and growing, and we employ one guy (Sean) whose fulltime job is to maintain our fleet of 201 pods, which hold 9,045 drives.

All told, Sean replaces approximately 10 drives per week, indicating a 5 percent per year drive failure rate across the entire fleet, which includes infant mortality and also the higher failure rates of previous drives. (We are currently seeing failures in less than 1 percent of the Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630 drives...

http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/

I personally have no qualms about Hitachi drives now.

Are you a member of [H] forum that pays attention or what?

That rubbish old info no longer applies, it was a whole different company with different technology back then. Today's Hitachi drives are one of the few not likely to give you a problem, which is a miraculous thing in today's world of hard drives.

3 TB of Hitachi goodness for $107 is a great deal no matter which way you look at it.

No - Amazon is just OOS. They were $107 from Amazon, not a 3rd party.

That rubbish old info no longer applies, it was a whole different company with different technology back then. Today's Hitachi drives are one of the few not likely to give you a problem, which is a miraculous thing in today's world of hard drives.
Agreed. I always see people trotting out this tired old story on tech forums and deal sites.
I guess the same folks gloss over the Seagate 7200.11 firmware circus and the more recent Samsung Spinpoint F4 firmware troubles.

I'll throw in my own little anecdotes. Just upgraded my old fileserver last year with 2TB Hitachis (15x - mixture of 5K3000s and 7K2000s). Been running 24/7 without a hitch.
The previous drives were all first generation (ie. 5x 200GB platter) 1TB Hitachi 7K1000s, all of which are still running fine (great SMART attributes, no errors in sector scans, no high reallocated sector count)
and have been redeployed in other single-disk systems.

We're not comparing random drives from Hitachi to random drives from Western Digital. We're comparing two specific models the Western Digital Black WD2002FAEX and the Hitachi DeskStar 5K3000 0S03228 of which the Western Digital offers performance that rivals that of the 10k rpm Raptors while carrying a 5 year advanced replacement warranty and offering arguably higher reliability since its basically the same drive as the enterprise level RE4 drives from Western Digital which from what I can tell really only differ in the RE4 having a different firmware optimized for use in RAID.

That's like comparing pineapples to oranges. The WD Black 2TBs aren't even in the same bracket as the 3TB Hitachi. They both are designed for two different purposes.

WD 2TB 7200rpm Black for people looking for performance. <--according to the passmark database, this trumps my 74GB 10k Raptor by double (918 to 400something)
Hitachi 3TB 5400rpm for people looking for green/low-energy storage (HTPC/etc). <--- I'd choose these if I was doing RAID6 or RAID10 for pure storage ability and low cost.

Really happy I was able to get this drive for such a deal despite reading some bad reviews.
I just had really good experience with Hitachi. I had Seagate drives fail on me and even
WD RE3's but my Hitachi's are still going strong.

Are you a member of [H] forum that pays attention or what?

3 TB of Hitachi goodness for $107 is a great deal no matter which way you look at it.

Yeah it's not the same as the deathstar drives but it's still Hitachi which is a 3rd rate brand.
You get what you pay for.

Hitachi doesn't have the reliability or warranty of Western Digital's Black drives either.

I will give you warranty. However at work I am not seeing WDC black drives being more reliable than hitachi drives. If anything they are the same in reliability.

Yeah it's not the same as the deathstar drives but it's still Hitachi which is a 3rd rate brand.

Hmm, for some reason 2 of "1st rate brand" black WD drives were kicked out of RAID array within 2 months (out if 4 drives). And Hitachi's perfectly work.

Hmm, for some reason 2 of "1st rate brand" black WD drives were kicked out of RAID array within 2 months (out if 4 drives). And Hitachi's perfectly work.

Anecdotal evidence = blanket truth. Word.

edit: Most WD and recent Hitachi drivers are solid. They're both good brands at the moment.

At least one thing we can all agree on is that Seagate sucks complete and total ass. :)

At least one thing we can all agree on is that Seagate sucks complete and total ass. :)
Well, in that their drives tend to cost more yet at the same time are slower/on-par and are both louder and noisier than drives from the competition (ever since the Barracuda IVs).
They were fine from a reliability standpoint, until the clusterf*ck that was the 7200.11.

How are the 7200.12s? I don't seem to hear anything bad about them, but have been gun shy since the 7200.11 firmware fiasco. Still have a bunch of 7200.10s that are ticking along nicely.

Bad info, stick to topics where you know what you're talking about.

Hitachi is a first rate hard drive brand.

Buy them, install them, then forget about them, the way it should be. Heck even their older jumbo 4 platter drives were reliable.

Back in stock as of this writing. Just ordered 6 of these to put into my esxi/zfs all-in-one.

Welcome. I actually missed these twice in the past week, missed them by a couple hours both times. FYI, these are still showing in stock as of right now.

Blah, I was glad these were sold out. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on 6 of them or just wait for a 2TB deal again.. I realistically don't need 11TB+ of space that a 6-disk RAIDZ2 would give me.

Blah, I was glad these were sold out. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on 6 of them or just wait for a 2TB deal again.. I realistically don't YET need 11TB+ of space that a 6-disk RAIDZ2 would give me.

Fixed it for you :D

Finally got mine yesterday.

Guys that argue over brands are goofy.

If you wanna talk about anything, talk about a bad model....not a brand.

All brands have had good and bad models.

If your brother's a dick-weed would you like someone saying the whole family is the same?

Only a dick-weed would say "Yes". :)

This drive arrived at my house today. It will make a nice little backup disk connected to my file server over eSATA. :)

This drive arrived at my house today. It will make a nice little backup disk connected to my file server over eSATA. :)

Perfect...that's exactly what I'm doing.

My WHS has 2.3TB in the music folder and it was a major PITA to spread it between 2 disks.

This otta fix it. :)

Perfect...that's exactly what I'm doing.

My WHS has 2.3TB in the music folder and it was a major PITA to spread it between 2 disks.

This otta fix it. :)

Nice collection man is that all flac or?

Last edited:
Somebody that has more music than me :D nice collection man is that all flac or? I'm not far behind ya man I think I have around 1.9TB of FLAC. :D 1.5ish on my main system, the rest less frequent stuff is tossed on another drive in a drawer.
I hope you have better luck than I.

My WHS didn't recognize this 3TB drive over eSATA but I expected that. It's some cheapo AMD MB that still uses a 939 4800+ CPU.

I have an Asus fix for HDs over 2TB but it still seems to be dividing the drive into managable pieces under 2TBs.

I'll play with it tomorrow. :)

Somebody that has more music than me :D nice collection man is that all flac or? I'm not far behind ya man I think I have around 1.9TB of FLAC. :D 1.5ish on my main system, the rest less frequent stuff is tossed on another drive in a drawer.

Holy Eff, That's a lot, i mean i only download .FLAC unless i can't and mines only like 53 gigs.Not that i have a lot of albums but still... Nice collection! :D

Ended up ordering a pair of them last night. Figure I'll just mirror them at first... 3TB will be more than enough to get our DVD collection backed up even to ISOs and should still leave room for doing some Blurays. I'll probably keep a copy of all of our personal pictures/videos on this mirror as well as the mirror of Seagate 500GB drives they are currently on.

Figure I'll pick up another pair of 3TB drives when they come down even more in price in the future.

Somebody that has more music than me nice collection man is that all flac or?
I'd say I have 60-70% FLAC but there's just some stuff I can only find in lower bitrates.

Mine is all 60's to 80's rock.

If there's anything in particular you're looking for just PM me.

Sharing music is what it's all about. :)

Back