3TB 90 bucks Desktop Mainstream IntelliPower Sata HDD

Basicly a wd green? 6$ ship 10$ tax.. hmmm but have to create a account to be sure.

lol I was in the store today, and I saw some guy run in and buy 3 internal HDs I was wondering if there was a good deal on them but I wasn't planning to buy HDs today so I didn't bother to check it out.

Comes to $103.18 after tax and shipping if you're from California, like myself. For $127, I could get the 3TB Toshiba HD off Amazon after tax (and free shipping).

So, $103.18 is pretty good deal for me anyway.

Yeah it was 103.xx for me too with tax and shipping. 6 bucks ship, plus, IL tax. They have retail/warehouses in many states.

FWIW, you can call up and place an order without a login. I made an account but their site rejected my alpha numeric house address. :rolleyes: I think from the main menu hit 5 and wait for it to tell you about their website and then wait the promised zero minutes for your call to be answer.

Blu-ray rips just ate up all my space so I need some new drives badly, but I'm willing to wait for some deals on 4 TB...

Here's that drive on amazon. The reviewers there report that the 2TB and 3TB versions are repackaged WD Green drives; most of the reviews there were for the 500GB version which was apparently a WD Blue.

WD Greens have a very bad reputation here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ya 2 year warranty scared me off.. i like the wd red drive for 110 after rebate but I dont want to do rebates.. i guess i might tho ;0

Here's that drive on amazon. The reviewers there report that the 2TB and 3TB versions are repackaged WD Green drives; most of the reviews there were for the 500GB version which was apparently a WD Blue.

WD Greens have a very bad reputation here.

I've used 10 greens with zero issues.

My Server 2012r2 box has six 1TB green drives in it now. Had them on 24/7 for over 2 years now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seriously? Today's drives typically fail out of the box or within the first few months of service.

My experience is that if it survives the first 6 months, it'll probably last over a decade.

<EDIT>
Micro Center also has the Toshiba 3Tb for $10 more http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=286187

My experience things fail just after warranty expires.. not like the manufacturer has no idea what they doing and just randomly pick amounts of time,,, if u are right i imagine everything would have same warranty,,but alas you are not and diff drives are designed for diff types of use. Glad you are so lucky. And to the person with ten green drives zero fail. Very good luck because lets get real ten of any drive and u bound to have one die, unless you are not using them.

I think I'll go with the Toshiba which bought out the highly acclaimed Hitachi.

My experience things fail just after warranty expires.. not like the manufacturer has no idea what they doing and just randomly pick amounts of time,,, if u are right i imagine everything would have same warranty,,but alas you are not and diff drives are designed for diff types of use. Glad you are so lucky. And to the person with ten green drives zero fail. Very good luck because lets get real ten of any drive and u bound to have one die, unless you are not using them.

You had me till you said 10 of any drive and you are bound to have one die early. You think HDD manufacturers would allow a 10% failure rate? Seriously? Do you know how big their return department would have to be. I would say 1 out of 100 is a better failure rate guesstimate for normal consumer use. Probably still high.

Just found this:
http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Of course it says they used refurb seagate units.

Remember this is for a data center, not a home user. So their failure numbers should be significantly higher.

I have mostly seagate and samsung in my server and have only had 1 drive fail in over 2 years of 24/7 media serving up time. It was one of my companies old 500gb seagate enterprise level drives. My consumer level drives are all still going strong. I knew hitachi was good, but from now on whenever I see a decent deal on them I am grabbing hitachi.

Stopped at the Cambridge (Boston) MA location and picked up the WD.
They had several dozen on the shelf.

At home I confirmed WD Green inside the box.

BTW, I have 4 Green drives (1, 1.5, and 2Tb) in my JBOD storage and none of them have ever shown any issues in several years of use.

I don't know why anyone would purchase these at MC when the Toshiba drives with 3 year warranty are only nine dollars more.

I don't know why anyone would purchase these at MC when the Toshiba drives with 3 year warranty are only nine dollars more.

The extra year warranty is definitely a big plus, but some may be after the lower power, noise, and heat that 5,400 rpm drives have for NAS/Servers.

The extra year warranty is definitely a big plus, but some may be after the lower power, noise, and heat that 5,400 rpm drives have for NAS/Servers.

Exactly! I use the Green drives for my HTPC and specifically prefer low power, low noise.
The Toshiba drive is a 7200rpm. EXCELLENT drive (I love Hitachi/Toshiba drives).

Anybody received this yet? Mine is stuck at 'pending' and has been for a long time now.

Back