3G Phones Exposing Mobile Network Limitations

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The New York Times has an interesting article about how today’s smartphones are taxing the amalgamation of mobile networks that we have here in the US. What are your experiences with your carrier and phone?

There are other, broader technical challenges that affect all carriers as they move to the faster networks — both 3G and, coming soon, 4G. The newer networks are designed to carry bigger chunks of data so that, for example, people can use their phones to send and receive videos and not just e-mail or text messages. These larger chunks are not able to travel as far before degrading, however. That presents a serious problem, because carriers cannot easily erect hundreds of new towers to be closer to users.

well my service got fairly crappy, at least my phone calls aren't being too affected but I'm no longer subscribing to anything else other then limited internet, phone calls and texting.

I have a feeling its got something to do with too many people on an old network and those people using many more programs, we need an upgrade! time to OC this biotch!

I just got a G1 the other day and it pisses me off that I can't use 3G all the time...hopefully T-mobile has its erection problems fixed soon.

Love my tmobile plan...unlimited data plan....only 650 minutes a month w/ 5 my faves but only $59 month....3G hasn't posed any problems for me...

And thats why Canada kicks SO much ass. I haven't been in an area without 3.5g coverage ever. WOO!

Greedy companies stealing our bandwidths! We early adopters are getting screwed every time!!! How dare we pave the way for those less fortunate!

That's why I like Verizon. Expensive but the broadband works well. It does have trouble in indoor areas with a lot on concrete around them but that's a problem with the signal. That's why I can't wait for LTE!:)

...Wha.... What you mean the mobile carriers might have to cut back their revenues and spend money on improving their infrastructure?!?!?!...... Heaven forbid.

Mine is OK. I live in an area with just EDGE. But honestly I can't tell a huge difference between EDGE and 3G when you use the mobile versions of websites. You try browsing the full-blown versions... yea, you can tell.

Man, I think I'm a dinosaur in today's world anymore.
I use my PC or my laptop for web related stuff and I use a VoIP phone for voice communiction.
If I'm not home, then leave me a message and I'll answer it when I get back,

I used to have a cell phone but I gave it up when I realized how much it had taken over my life.
Not to mention how expensive it is in relation to my other options.

:cool:

I used to have a cell phone but I gave it up when I realized how much it had taken over my life.
Not to mention how expensive it is in relation to my other options.

:cool:

... ???
It's cheaper for me to pay monthly service to ATT Wireless versus ATT Landline.

Landlines are dead. The only thing they're good for is hooking base of operations up (AKA, businesses).
I don't know anyone who uses a landline anymore for personal reasons.

Today’s cellphone users often just learn to live with the glitches. Rebecca Hwang, 29, a San Franciscan who has had a 2G iPhone since December 2007, said her calls were cut off periodically and she did not receive 30 percent of her text messages. But she is still a fan of the phone.

“I love the camera, the music is great, I use the GPS and map all the time,” Ms. Hwang said. “If I could have a reliable phone, it would be just perfect.”
Last time I checked the "2G iPhone" (AKA: First gen iPhone) has no GPS.

... ???
It's cheaper for me to pay monthly service to ATT Wireless versus ATT Landline.

Landlines are dead. The only thing they're good for is hooking base of operations up (AKA, businesses).
I don't know anyone who uses a landline anymore for personal reasons.

Traditional phone lines, sure, but I consider cable as a landline and I have home phone service through Time Warner over the cable and its much cheaper than wireless for unlimited wireless calls. Though I could make calls over Skype or another some other broadband way.

My point is that landlines, at least when you look at them in terms of data are far from dead until we get data speeds and reliability and reasonable cost from wireless methods which LTE might provide. I've not heard how LTE is going to be priced. If it doesn't have some type of unlimited plan or a very high monthly cap like 1TB or so, I'll be pissed.

Last time I checked the "2G iPhone" (AKA: First gen iPhone) has no GPS.
Not a true GPS, you're correct. Doesn't stop Apple from making the Cult followers from thinking it really has one, when all it really is is cellular triangulation (which means in big cities it will work, but when your service drops, so will your map).

Traditional phone lines, sure, but I consider cable as a landline and I have home phone service through Time Warner over the cable and its much cheaper than wireless for unlimited wireless calls. Though I could make calls over Skype or another some other broadband way.
Well, I'm not considering VoIP as landline ;)

I'm talking your single pair telephone cabling from ATT... That's what's dead.
Why would I call a landline when I have the person's cell phone number that I know they carry in their pocket?

The only landlines I end up calling are businesses. And increasing numbers of times, once you call into the landline, that person's extension ends up redirecting to a cellphone, coincidentally.

I have the horrible service known as AT&T 3G USB Data Card. I am not sure I have ever gotten 3G speed on it. I only use it as a backup if I have
- No free internet
- No T-Mobile Hotspot
- No AT&T Hotspot

And even as a last resort, it sucks. I would be pissed if I had to pay the $60/m ... luckily works pay it.

When it comes to data, there's really nothing that beats Sprint or Verizon, but everyone's mileages vary.

Back