3DS owners, 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is out

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
As number 16 of the 16-bit SEGA 3D classics project, Sonic 2 is here!
Sadly its the last one, but we still got that same quality M2 has been giving these games and the 3D looks great.
They've also released the interview that usually preceeds each release, I like reading these, especially since sometimes we learn some interesting about the old games themselves. I found this tidbit especially interesting...

RtQYa68.jpg

Sonic 2’s Special Stages were actually created out of pre-rendered polygons, and then video of that was compressed and halved both vertically and horizontally, then dropped into the game cartridge. We took that pre-rendered video, reverted it back to its original polygon state, remade our own version of it, then when back and assigned depth on a pixel-by-pixel basis. Therefore, we had to analyze and pull out the data needed to create the bonus stage for Sonic 2. Although these are pre-rendered images, SEGA’s development team would fix some of them up to enhance the looks. However, those sections would look unnatural with the polygons we created, so then we had to tweak the polygon render and create a course that matched the original images, and that’s how we got it running without issue on 3DS.

The original was a pre-rendered video? Mind Blown.

They even ported the 2 player racing mode that runs in that weird Genesis high res mode, but was pretty fun from what I remember.

mYUAzF2.jpg

$5.99 on the eShop
The video on the game page is ACTUALLY IN 3D, which is nice, so you can get an idea what it looks like, and they show almost everything in a 2 minute nothing-but-gameplay video.

Like I said this is #16, so there have been 15 others released which you can also find on the eShop. I highly recommend Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2, the 3D is so nice and both have multiplayer(local obviously). The Arcade ports are also very impressive, Space Harrier, Outrun, Galaxy Force 2 and my favorite, Fantasy Zone 2 W. It's hard to recommend any one, I have 11 of 16, I say get them all(except Altered Beast, but that's just me...).

Here's the final development interview for Sonic 2:
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/10/06/3d-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-included-in-the-sega-3d-classics/

Past development interviews:
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/23/sega-3d-classics-developer-interviews/

Last edited:
I honestly think Sega could PRINT MONEY by releasing new stages (complete with robotic battles) as DLC for these O-G Sonic titles. Imagine having a collection of 100 or so Sonic 2 zones to play through. I wouldn't need modern games.

Honestly, The only issue I have with these old games now is that I've played them so much that nothing is new any more. Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3 and Knux would be a goldmine if Sega went for this approach...

I honestly think Sega could PRINT MONEY by releasing new stages (complete with robotic battles) as DLC for these O-G Sonic titles. Imagine having a collection of 100 or so Sonic 2 zones to play through. I wouldn't need modern games.

Honestly, The only issue I have with these old games now is that I've played them so much that nothing is new any more. Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3 and Knux would be a goldmine if Sega went for this approach...

They sort of did that, at least with the other recent Sonic 2 ports. They've added back the Hidden Palace Zone that was removed a short time before the game shipped. It's pretty cool (mostly just because it's new) and makes playing through the game again worth it to experience.

Back