3Dmark2003 score

rea[k]tor

n00b
I downloaded 3dmark2003 to run a test on my computer, and I got 1478 as a score. When I checked online, people online that it matched me up with had scores in the 5000s... Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB
512 RAM PC 2700 (not perfectly sure of PC num)
Realtek built-in mobo sound
2 gig pagefile size
37 gig HD with 26 gigs open
Windows XP

I haven't OCed anything, and didn't have any background applications running... Is this a normal score, or do I need to question my computer provider?

EDIT: I also upgraded all my drivers via Windows Update and the Driver pages for the components... I'm using Catalyst 4.6. I also had "semi-formatted" my computer by using their restore service, because when I called HP service up about a driver issue I was having, they told me I would "lose all support and likely your warranty" if I deleted the main partition and created a new one.

What the HP rep told you is wrong. You loose definite support for the software and OS....only because they don't know how you installed the new OS, settings, etc. You will have hardware support, and for the software and OS you will have what's termed "Best Effort". No jokes here, as we have been #1 above Dell in Customer Suopport for over 2 years.

Second, you have something going on that is not giving you anywhere near the performance you should. Check what loads at start up, check for spyware, and don't EVER load drivers from Windows Update. They are for compatibility, not performance. Always load the drivers from each site. Remove all drivers, uninstall non necessary software, load the newest drivers, and defrag when done.

Also make sure that your running the bench at default settings
(10x7 resolution, NO AA or AF enabled, etc.)

you should DEFINATELY be getting over 5k with your specs

OK, this is really strange. I found out that I had AA, AF, and vsync on. I turned them off. I ran 3dmark2003 again, and got a score of 4000. Now here's the part:

I ran ATITOOL, and guess what they had the default setting: 324/290. I set it to the Radeon 9800 PRO 256 MB default setting (380/315), THE card that was specifically said on the website and on my specs sheet that HP sent me along with the computer. Whee, artifact city, and I haven't even gotten 1/4 of the way through the first test. I'll be calling HP up and questioning them about the 290 dollar "Radeon 9800 PRO 256 MB" they supposedly sent me.

I also just looked at the ATI page core settings. The card HP sent me appears to be a straight Radeon 9800 128, no pro, nothing. Did I ask HP that my card be hacked to a radeon 9800 256mb? Nope, no setting anywhere on the pavilion a510e about getting a hacked card. I bought this straight from the HP site too.

Just noticed something else too... I checked the front cover of my case, and it says A510E... Is this the same computer? I payed for a a610e, and have the sheet to prove it.

HUZZAH! im no longer a n00bie! :D

as for your situation :(
yea those are definately different models... Its not readily appearent on thier site what the difference is though... I say get an exchange for what you paid for, or make a stink and get them to refund the difference if you decide to keep it.

good luck

Call them back up and find out what is going on with the model numbers.

Just as a note, these computers are boxed and sold by another company....not HP...as is the case with every OEM. I'm not saying this as to blame you. I just hate when a company gets blamed and it's not their fault. But definitely, look into it.

As I have offered to other people, I can try to help if needed. I have minimal contacts with the retail part of our company....but I do have some.

Yeah, I chatted with about the computer, but we couldn't come to an agreement about returning the Radeon 9800... They would pay me back 50 bucks max, which brings me back to where I was a month ago. Computer shopping :(.

Back