3dfx Voodoo5 6000 Revival

I ran a G400 Max, really loved that card
I had a G400 Max and a TNT2 Ultra at the same time. The G400 fixed a lot of OpenGL issues, at least in Quake3. The image quality (RAMDAC) was MUCH better than the TNT2 I had.

I remember when the MGA Matrox Millennium was the best SVGA card money could buy, in large part to their class leading RAMDAC's

I have a few others as well ;)

IMG_20200608_184802.jpg

Top to bottom, left to right.

TNT2, ATI Mach64 with upgraded ram, Diamond Stealth II S220 (this is a Rendition card), Intel i740 and another TNT2.

IMG_20200608_195216.jpg

They need fans. Voodoo3 2000s run stupid hot with those tiny heatsinks, even the 3000 and 3500 heatsinks are inadequate. I have fans either mounted or blowing on mine when running them.

I agree. I grabbed a v3 3000 from a thrift store a few years ago for $1.99 and put an old ATI rage fan on it. Had to wire it up to be powered from a system fan connector though.

I don't think he's running them, so just for look, I wouldn't bother.

They need fans. Voodoo3 2000s run stupid hot with those tiny heatsinks, even the 3000 and 3500 heatsinks are inadequate. I have fans either mounted or blowing on mine when running them.

I've actually never used them.

I'm not even sure how they wound up in my possession. I found them in my parts bin.

There was a time back in college in ~2001 or so when I was running a few CS servers people would just donate old PC hardware for me to build servers with. I suspect that's where they came from.

I used one of them just to get a server to boot a few years ago, but other than that, they have just kind of sat in a box since then.

Yeah, GLQuake was the first time I remember properly rendered 3D FPS being a thing.

MechWarrior II was one of the games with an early patch for my Matrix Mystique 3D back then as well as I recall.

There was also some motorcycle game that came with the Mystique, that was 3D "light" reminiscent of something you'd see on a first gen PlayStation. I do recall that motorcycle game being the first time I felt smooth framerates though!

Edit:

After some googling I am fairly certain that the motorcycle game that shipped with my European Matrox Mystique version was Moto Racer.

I remember it being somewhat of a boring game, but at the same time I remember being very impressed with the smooth framerate for the time.

I had that game! it was pretty fun at the time...

Back