3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 (my first 3dfx card)

thumbs_up.jpg

My buddy had one and I had a Geforce 2 GTS....

If memory serves, Max Payne was the benchmark at the time.

i was told from the original owner of the 5500 that it hasn't been booted for 15-20 years

just received an ASUS TULS-2C mobo to test out my 5500 today! She works!

i was told from the original owner of the 5500 that it hasn't been booted for 15-20 years
Nice score. Hope your friend hooked you up on the price. VooDoo5 value sure has skyrocketed.

So what games you plan to play with it?

My buddy had one and I had a Geforce 2 GTS....

If memory serves, Max Payne was the benchmark at the time.
Believe you are both right. Q3 and MP were typical benchies in that era. Along with 3dMark2001 of course.

I currently own both VooDoo4 and Geforce 2 GTS (asus v7700). Switching between two identically configured HDDs helps a lot - no having to change drivers. The GF2 does near double scores in 3dMark2001. Not surprising since, if memory serves, that test heavily favored GF rendering.

Reactions: erek
like this
Nice score. Hope you friend hooked you up on the price. VooDoo5 value sure has skyrocketed.

So what games you plan to play with it?

Believe you are both right. Q3 and MP were typical benchies in that era. Along with 3dMark2001 of course.

I currently own both VooDoo4 and Geforce 2 GTS (asus v7700). Switching between two identically configured HDDs helps a lot - no having to change drivers. The GF2 does near double scores in 3dMark2001. Not surprising since, if memory serves, that test heavily favored GF rendering.

Not sure, someone said something about Max Payne

Not sure, someone said something about Max Payne
MP1 is a good one. Been meaning to install that in my retro box. Mostly playing Unreal, UT, SS, and Q2 so far.

Big list of 3dfx games here.

Big list of drivers - here.

Tried several. Got best scores with Dozer 1.1 in WinXP. Switched back to Win98 so running the latest WHQL now.

Last edited:
Right on! This might sound lame, but the VooDoo 1 was really the biggest change, and is the one I’m most curious to see if it still boots. I had a GeForce 2 and the 5500 was less impressive since there was quality competition. I’m glad they ended up in good hands ;)

Right on! This might sound lame, but the VooDoo 1 was really the biggest change, and is the one I’m most curious to see if it still boots. I had a GeForce 2 and the 5500 was less impressive since there was quality competition. I’m glad they ended up in good hands ;)

Wondering about a pass through cable, think i can pass through between the 5500 and the Voodoo 1?

Yes the voodoo1 was the original game changer... night and fucking day.

edit: ok.. now I have to put my voodoo1 in an try some Tomb Raider. ;)

Last edited:
No you gotta use a matrox millennium like the rest of us did
While you cool kids were running Matrox Milleniums with that fancy pants WRAM (who remembers that?) I had the most glorious of all 2D/3D combo cards, the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4MB... lol

I still own it and they aren't kidding when they say software rendering is faster. My Pentium MMX 233MHz alone with a previous generation Trio 64+ would be superior. However it does have a great 2D core for DOS and with an S3 VESA 2.0 program it hauls in SVGA modes, and it makes a great companion for my 6MB Canopus Pure3D. The Matrox is far better in Windows acceration, however. No contest. My Voodoo5 5500 + Athlon 1.33GHz blows them both away lol

Yes the voodoo1 was the original game changer... night and fucking day.

edit: ok.. now I have to put my voodoo1 in an try some Tomb Raider. ;)

Night and fucking day, indeed, good sir. And...DO IT! Do be aware VGs do not like working in an Athlon based environment.

Last edited:
While you cool kids were running Matrox Milleniums with that fancy pants WRAM (who remembers that?) I had the most glorious of all 2D/3D combo cards, the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4MB... lol

I still own it and they aren't kidding when they say software rendering is faster. My Pentium MMX 233MHz alone with a previous generation Trio 64+ would be superior. However it does have a great 2D core for DOS and with an S3 VESA 2.0 program it hauls in SVGA modes, and it makes a great companion for my 6MB Canopus Pure3D. The Matrox is far better in Windows acceration, however. No contest. My Voodoo5 5500 + Athlon 1.33GHz blows them both away lol

Night and fucking day, indeed, good sir. And...DO IT! Do be aware VGs do not like working in an Athlon based environment.

Sup B'man... Dude I have been through hell for 6 months but I am on the other side of it. Thanks for the tip on the Althon environment.. I have a lot of P4 options for the voodoo1 I can build. :)

Sup B'man... Dude I have been through hell for 6 months but I am on the other side of it. Thanks for the tip on the Althon environment.. I have a lot of P4 options for the voodoo1 I can build. :)
What's up R-Dawg? lol

I actually have a Slot 1 motherboard kicking around somewhere. I find it you are welcome to it... A P4 isn't ideal either. You really want either a fast Pentium using i430HX/TX or Pentium II/Celeron 128K using 440FX/LX/BX chipsets. I've noticed weirdness on anything else.

like this
Will it even work on the TULS2-C mobo with the Pentium III 600 MHz?

That I do not know friendo....

I know when my buddy had his 5500, it was on a P3 866.

But I was too young and poor to have a voodoo back in the early days.

(first real card was a used Verite on a P160)

Wondering about a pass through cable, think i can pass through between the 5500 and the Voodoo 1?

The Quake video was only slightly better. They should have showed Quake 2. That said, the other two games, night and day. The Tomb Raider one was something else.

like this
That I do not know friendo....

I know when my buddy had his 5500, it was on a P3 866.

But I was too young and poor to have a voodoo back in the early days.

(first real card was a used Verite on a P160)

Why wouldn't it?

Meant the voodoo 1, thought i heard it had some issues with certain boards and also higher clocked CPUs or over 100 MHz FSB, etc

Meant the voodoo 1, thought i heard it had some issues with certain boards and also higher clocked CPUs or over 100 MHz FSB, etc

Ahh! Never thought about that, but as I understand it, the FSB doesn't matter. PCI runs at 33mhz no matter the STOCK FSB. I think with overclocking, on some boards, it may link, ratio wise, with the front side bus, but I don't recall if it does or not. I know AGP can.

edit: I have a 440BX board here with a p3 600mhz and I know I had to set the AGP bus ratio with jumpers, but not with the PCI slots.

like this
Yeah, I mean.. in theory, a PCI is a PCI....

There are no fancy spec requirements.

(thats why I got the Xonar DG instead of the DGX; cuz my old P55 board is REAL fussy about PCI-E lanes. IE, I disabled the Marvel USB3/SATA3 controllers just to avoid trouble)

So a V1 should work fine in just about anything with a supported OS right?

I think so. I had it on a socket 7 setup, but I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work on a slocket setup, it’s not like the pci spec changed.

Edit: only thing I can think of is trying to pass the PCI VooDoo through an AGP card, I never tried that. You might actually need to conjure up a 2d pci card. Look for a matrox if you can. Millennium II would be sort of ‘authentic’ but a g200 probably easier to find. They had them in PCI and AGP.

like this
I have an agp and PCI of those. As well as many other matrox cards.

like this

You can pass any video card with VGA out through a Voodoo1/2, though I'm not sure why you'd want to with the video degradation.

I think so. I had it on a socket 7 setup, but I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work on a slocket setup, it’s not like the pci spec changed.

PCI in the mid 90s didn't mean guaranteed compatibility due to the many different implementations by board manufacturers. Many early boards cascaded the PCI clock off of the FSB using a 1/2 divider, which caused problems if you didn't have a CPU with a 66 MHz bus speed. Early Pentiums from Intel sometimes had a 50 MHz bus speed, and Cyrix had the weird 75 and 83 MHz bus speeds which ran PCI alarmingly out of spec. Early AGP boards had the same problem, but this time ran AGP 1:1 with the FSB, so you could end up with an 83 MHz AGP slot.

I just checked on ebay, and P200 MMX/motherboard (with the 66mhz bus Gigabite was talking about) combos run about 70 bucks with shipping....

Might wanna look into that :)

Yeesh, I remember when people were giving that stuff away.

Glad that I kept most of my old stuff, though there are a few items I regret getting rid of. My Gateway 2000 with an Evergreen Spectra AMD K6/2 400 being one, and my Supermicro P6DBE being another.

like this
An original Voodoo deserves to be in a Pentium 233 MMX, period.

IMG_20150903_162503.jpg

IMG_20150903_162612.jpg

IMG_20150903_162626.jpg

Check, and check. :D Sadly my only Socket 7 board, but it's about as good as it gets for genuine Intel. How many Pentium boards do you see running synchronous SDRAM? lol

The latter is my aforementioned Pure3D - just for you horrorshow. Still have it, same as the S3 ViRGE card. The extra 2MB really helps smooth things out in Unreal and Quake/Quake II

EDIT: I'll get some better photos up in the next day or two.

Last edited:
Most late Socket 7 boards had SDRAM. I have two Super 7 boards (FIC PA-2013), one of which has a P200 and the other an AMD K6/2 450. The AMD board had a 500 at one time, but the CPU died years ago. I've been looking for a replacement since then, but I'm not willing to pay scalper Ebay prices for them.

like this
I have all of those things you seek ;)

I used to use them in my retropc before I went to a p3 600mhz and my voodoo3.

Edit: I have a super socket 7 board that supports EDO AND SDRAM, agp, PCI, and ISA. Its quite the board. Used to run a k6/2 450 in it. I also have that cpu.

like this
View attachment 90883

View attachment 90884

View attachment 90885

Check, and check. :D Sadly my only Socket 7 board, but it's about as good as it gets for genuine Intel. How many Pentium boards do you see running synchronous SDRAM? lol

The latter is my aforementioned Pure3D - just for you horrorshow. Still have it, same as the S3 ViRGE card. The extra 2MB really helps smooth things out in Unreal and Quake/Quake II

*tips hat

I'd whip out a picture of that old CGW ad, but my boxes of old PC mags are at my moms house. (aka my step-dad's man-cave / MASSIVE vinyl collection room lol)

Remember when the CGW Decemeber issues were like 120+ pages.... I know for a fact I have the holiday issue for the year Quake was released.

View attachment 90883

View attachment 90884

View attachment 90885

Lol, I had the AMD K6 in mine. 200 and later the 300. Never owned a single original Intel MMX processor from the Socket 7 era.

like this
I actually remember a full page ad in Computer Gaming World for that exact 6MB card....

A distant dream to an 8th grade kid at the time lol
The 6MB allowed higher resolutions then the 4MB card. It was worth the extra money. I used it all the way to the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. Skipped the entire voodoo2 and voodoo rush era and still played all the games my friends had to upgrade to Voodoo 2's for. Was a great buy back then.

like this
Most late Socket 7 boards had SDRAM. I have two Super 7 boards (FIC PA-2013), one of which has a P200 and the other an AMD K6/2 450. The AMD board had a 500 at one time, but the CPU died years ago. I've been looking for a replacement since then, but I'm not willing to pay scalper Ebay prices for them.

But how many retail Intel i430TX chipset boards specifically? From what I understand, this board can run Tilamook 266 and 300MHz parts with L2 fully enabled. Sure, they've appeared in late Dell/Micron and Sony systems that I've seen, but I have not seen many, which is the point I was trying to make. The rest used 72 pin SIMMS and 60/70ns EDO DRAM.

The 6MB allowed higher resolutions then the 4MB card. It was worth the extra money. I used it all the way to the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. Skipped the entire voodoo2 and voodoo rush era and still played all the games my friends had to upgrade to Voodoo 2's for. Was a great buy back then.

Only on Voodoo Rush was that possible. Unless yours was special, like my board all Pure3Ds have the extra 2MB allocated to the TMU, not the FBI chip.

like this
Back