3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Video Card missing MLCC capacitor

Turboman84

n00b
Hello,

I have a 5500 that is missing a capacitor on the back marked C502, does anyone know what the value is? I have tried searching the web and found a site that has a list, but it shows that one is one of the caps that was undocumented.

The list shows most of the documented caps are X7R. I usually get my caps from Mouser Electronics.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200723_192642.jpg
    20200723_192642.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200723_192752.jpg
    20200723_192752.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: erek
like this
I would send a PM to erek, there is no doubt they would be able to assist.

I was always in love with this card. I could never afford it.

I was lucky enough to get a 2000 at one point. Long after Voodoo had tanked and the company was gone. Played games so smoothly for like a 4 generation old card. The graphics were just bar none better than anything out at the time.

RIP a legend.

@ deaedius, I can't seem to figure out how to send a message to another member here? How do I go about for that? Thanks.

@ deaedius, I can't seem to figure out how to send a message to another member here? How do I go about for that? Thanks.
It won't let you send private messages until you've been around for a while, or have some arbitrary number of posts.

I see. Could you send him a PM linking this thread please? Thank you.
Done. He "liked" your initial post so I assume he's seen this thread, but I sent him a PM asking if he can chime in.

If we can find the values of the caps you're missing, are you equipped to replace them yourself?

RazorWind From Oscar " I need to check but C1 seems a filter and is not needed for working though C502 is needed for v5 working. "

Done. He "liked" your initial post so I assume he's seen this thread, but I sent him a PM asking if he can chime in.

If we can find the values of the caps you're missing, are you equipped to replace them yourself?
Yes, I can work on the caps, the only thing I can't do is reflow work, thanks.

I feel we need a new sub gpu repair or something y'all be doing some cool work lately

It sounds like he's talking about an SMD MLC cap, though. You'd probably have to remove it from the board to measure it accurately.

I missed the "MLCC" part, just saw capacitor and assumed the SMD caps had leaked, which they always do. Apple computers with these same SMD caps always start leaking, 90s SMD caps were trash.

Yeah, you need to remove it from the board to get an accurate measurement, but it's not something I'm willing to do with my card. I don't have a book of MLCC capacitors on hand in case it breaks or cracks from the heat and shorts out, which these caps love to do. The plates are microns thick and any insult is enough to make them fail.

Thank you everyone for the help, it is much appreciated. So erek does modding on the V5? I would be interested to have the 128MB mod with new VSA.

I also have a Voodoo 2 that has several MLCCs missing, it is a 12MB Diamond, and it randomly freezes after a few mins of use.

C36 top of the card.

C71 and C119 on the back of the card.

Attachments

• 20200728_212407.jpg
    20200728_212407.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200728_212508.jpg
    20200728_212508.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200728_212624.jpg
    20200728_212624.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 0
like this
Thank you everyone for the help, it is much appreciated. So erek does modding on the V5? I would be interested to have the 128MB mod with new VSA.

There used to be a guy on one of the Voodoo forums that did this mod, but it wasn't cheap. I think for both the VSA replacements and RAM mod, it was something like $700. Not sure if there are any of the better VSA chips left though, I remember several years back the guy said he was almost out of them and they haven't been made in decades. The fast RAM used on the Voodoo5 is also pretty rare and hard to come by.

like this
Hello.
My 5500 is also missing some caps on the back.
C515
C527
C541
C552
I need some help.
Thanks.

Back