3dfx People - Check this out (pics)

Here's my old Voodoo 3 3000. What great memories I had with this card...

kala1t.jpg

Damn those were awesome cards.

I have the V3 2000 PCI. I paid $100 for it at release and it rocked in every game. In today's world, it would be like if the 8800GTS had been released at $100.

Damn those were awesome cards.

I have the V3 2000 PCI. I paid $100 for it at release and it rocked in every game. In today's world, it would be like if the 8800GTS had been released at $100.

Well, not actually. Assuming the card came out in 2000, and average inflation is 2.5%. After 8 years, inflation would add about 20% to the original price. Makes it $120 give or take. Now, assume that you are about my age, in 2000, i was a dirt poor student. So $120 "worths" alot more than $200 now that I have a job.
So it would actually like buying a 8800GTS for about 200. Not as good as you said, but quite darn good.

I still have a 12mb voodoo 2 with the sli connector, I ran sli on a p2 back in the day....and the voodoo3 agp card. Brings back memories of losing $2,000.00 on 3dfx stock, everytime I am digging thru old hardware. My wife still reminds me of this "investment" when looking to invest some money....

Clobbering in framerate, a battle against a powerhouse, doesn't that sound very familiar? G80 perhaps? :eek: I pray that AMD doesn't go the route of 3dfx! :(

If AMD does go that route, we're in deep shit. At least until Intel arrives. Competition breeds better products. Look at the G92 and the RV670. Cheap power (relatively speaking).

I still have both a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI and 3000 AGP cards.

I remember my first real video card, the Canopus Pure3d (voodoo 1). This thing had a whopping 6mb of vram compared to the normal 4mb offered on other high end cards. I still remember firing up GLquake for the first time :eek:

Reading this thread made me think about this article I saw awhile back:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/10/3dfx_voodoo5_6000_offered_on_ebay/

The voodoo 5 6000 prototype, quad gpu's on a single card. The guy who was selling it on ebay just happen to live withing a few miles of me. I've been kicking myself ever since for not contacting him to see if I could come over and check it out.

edit: Wow this brings back memories:

t_box_v1_pure3d_retail.jpg

I remember my first and only 3DFX based card from Herecules. It was the Hercules Stingray 128/3D 8MB with the funky Daughter Card attached. At the time it was the best card I had ever owned.

Specs 128-bit Alliance Semiconductor AT3D graphics and multimedia engine
Dual 3Dfx 3D-only graphics engines
Full SuperVGA support - a one-card solution. VESA BIOS extensions in ROM.
Refresh rates of up to 200Hz
8MB single-cycle EDO DRAM display memory and Z-buffer storage
PCI Bus
Standard VGA feature connector
New VMI connector
VESA DPMS, DDC 1, DDC 2B for Plug-and-Play support

stingrayaq5.jpg

I had a Voodoo3 2000 PCI in my Power Computing PowerTower 180e Mac clone. 3dfx had released a firmware flasher and beta drivers for OS 8/9, and it was great to be able to pick up a PC V3 and have it work. Played a lot of Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Deus Ex with that card...

I'd still be using the card, but the old Mac clone is now running OS X, and there aren't any drivers, so I had to replace it with a flashed Radeon 7000 PCI.

former voodoo3 2000 pci owner here

unluckaliy it caught on fire while bench testing a system. (the contacts on the back of the mobo pci slot got grounded out and caused the card to catch on fire) the mobo survived for a little while(abit kt7) but the voodoo card died :(

Yes, that is the original Halo look, before it was designed for the Xbox.

Single voodoo 5 test setup (several years ago)

voodoo2.jpg

Make believe quad sli test setup

voodoo.jpg

Several years on and tomorrow hopefully im gonna be ordering a card that again uses multiple cores, might be like pic 2 when the quad crossfire driver appears as well. :p

I was a huge fan of 3dfx. Still remember voodoo3 vs tnt2, and the day that shamless nvidia said "the tech from 3dfx is worthless to us", as it turned out ncrapia eventually stole the "SLI" without even chaning the name.

Luckly we still got ATI, dont have use the nv pooper cheater cards

awwwww memories.

I still remember the day my Voodoo Rush card arrived. I had bought it so i could get the 3D effects in Tanarus, a game that i lost countless days to in junior high.

I also remember trying to find voodoo3 drivers that would work in windows XP, calling the Screen savers on Tech TV to see if they could offer suggestions, and stumping them :(

<3 <3 <3

My name says it all. Running a game in Glide with my first Voodoo 2 was gaming bliss. Still have that card. :D I also had two Diamond Monster 3D II's in SLI. It was called the MegaMonster. Voodoo 5 5500 served me well for a long time too.

lmao I remember getting that card for short while when I was playing rainbow six, it was the first time I used anti-aliasing or some feature and it made the game llook so much better, thats when I got hooked on upgrading.

This was my first...except PCI! I figured, they made the Obsidian, this had to be good. And hey, it was black PCB 3-4 years before anybody else!

quantum3dravenagptr9.jpg

raven1.jpg

What a deal! You get a card from Quantum 3D, it comes with Sanfrancisco RUSH, Gex the Gecko, and NFL Blitz. How many of you played those games ON PC??? Arcade greats made for Glide!

And the main reason why 3Dfx was great? The games man! That was the golden age of PC gaming, before the consoles really took off...before EA bought up most of the good independant developers...you had variety and some of the best gaming that the PC might EVER see.

The biggest thing I miss from 3dFX was the splash screen. It was like this sweet little interlude letting you know your computer was entering badass mode, and that the graphics were about to get a little sweeter.

Ahh, the old days.
I remember buying a Voodoo2 the day it came out... for some ridiculous $250 pricetag or whatever.

And I actually had one of those Q3d Raven's for a while too.
Hard to remember the days where you could slap a tiny 30 gram heatsink onto your video card and not have any problems :)

And to think... modern day network adapters probably have more processing power than any of those video cards did ;)

-Chris

I also have a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. My very first non-integrated graphics card. I used it and replaced it later on with a Geforce FX 5600

The biggest thing I miss from 3dFX was the splash screen. It was like this sweet little interlude letting you know your computer was entering badass mode, and that the graphics were about to get a little sweeter.

…and the click of the mechanical relay. I paid $300 for my Orchid Righteous 3D. It was the first Voodoo card out, before Diamond picked it up with the Monster line. Tomb Raider was the only 3D enabled game for it. Then they went back and started patching other games for it. My favorite was Monster Truck Madness.

I didn't like the look of 3D in a lot of ways when it first came out. The bi-linear filtering smoothed things out too much. It's come a long ways, but I wonder what software rendering would have looked like now if they had continued with it.

Ah, those were the days... I remember thinking of how fast my voodoo is while sitting at the class at school :).
Do you think that "3dfx" can happen to the industry again? Something completely new and THAT good?

There are always cycles on who is dominant on video cards. Nvidia has been the longest in quite a while.

Ok, now I have to find my Voodoo5 6000 prototype I was given way back when I was doing PC game development and do some pics :D

Cheers

Croaker

I still have a 12mb voodoo 2 with the sli connector, I ran sli on a p2 back in the day....and the voodoo3 agp card. Brings back memories of losing $2,000.00 on 3dfx stock, everytime I am digging thru old hardware. My wife still reminds me of this "investment" when looking to invest some money....

DAMN 12MB?! I only had the 8MB haha. Still have it collecting dust.

Wow all these old school names too, Orchid, Hercules, Diamond...

Here is your logo YouTube

Cool commercials:

Google Video

YouTube Video

Hahaha wow I dont remember those commercials at all. Awesome. Had me completely fooled when I was first watching - I thought the link was to the wrong video or something.

Chris, to an extent, that was all true. I will tell you though, that the thing that made us all scared shit was the GeForce 2 GTS.

Didn't the massacre start with the GeForce256 DDR? Mine was expensive ($300) but it was better than the Voodoo3.

Those WERE the days....man, I had bought a Voodoo1 4mb add in card, and it roxered the game boxer in the GLQuake1 and Team Fortress days....

Then the Voodoo2, then another for SLI action...that was spanking ass in Quake2. Dual 12mb V2's...ahhhhhhhh......

Then the Voodoo3 3500 w/ tv tuner, then I got a V5 5500....then Nvidia took over :)

I still have my original Voodoo1, still works....been thinking about slapping it into my old Gateway 333mhz w/ 384mb ram for some "old school" setups....:D Wish I had saved my old V2's as well.....

Those WERE the days....man, I had bought a Voodoo1 4mb add in card, and it roxered the game boxer in the GLQuake1 and Team Fortress days....

Then the Voodoo2, then another for SLI action...that was spanking ass in Quake2. Dual 12mb V2's...ahhhhhhhh......

Then the Voodoo3 3500 w/ tv tuner, then I got a V5 5500....then Nvidia took over :)

I still have my original Voodoo1, still works....been thinking about slapping it into my old Gateway 333mhz w/ 384mb ram for some "old school" setups....:D Wish I had saved my old V2's as well.....

eh. I hated my V2 12mb for everything except NFL Blitz (banding = yucky). The TNT2 Ultra was a whale of an upgrade.

eh. I hated my V2 12mb for everything except NFL Blitz (banding = yucky). The TNT2 Ultra was a whale of an upgrade.

Also had it share of checkbox features, 32 bit colour which in the majority of cases it was too slow to use in most games that supported it.

Hell yeah, the TNT2 Ultra was pretty swanky, I forgot I had one of those, it did replace my V5, I wasn't really happy....with the V5, it did not play well with my VIA mobo I had at that time....

VIA chipsets...soooooo glad those days are past us now. Of course, Nvidia isn't helping themselves much these days.

Great commercials. I also love how they have an image from Halo on the box! Hahaha, little did they know Microsoft would change the game completely and release it on consoles first.

Might as well chip in. I just remember getting to college and our next door neighbor was playing GLQuake. The water was actually semi-transparent! Wasn't soon after that I found myself a Voodoo1.

Still not sure something new could come along and change the ballgame like 3dfx did.

I remember buying the 5500 for $299 and thinking it was expensive. It was rather slow I thought and definitely too slow to use AA. I returned it and got a 3D Prophet II GTS. That was a great card.

Slow? I don't know what world you where living in at the time but the card was far from slow.

It was the first card that I could actually turn AA on at the time. Manny of my friends where quite envious at the time and they owned GTS cards. I still have a running voodoo 5 5500 AGP!! My roommate uses it for a tune box in EQ, yes he still plays EQ! I have some great drivers for the voodoo5 if anyone needs them(winXP). Made by a wonderful danish fellow named DarkMane.

Back