3dfx People - Check this out (pics)

I know you'll appreciate this - a gift to me from 3dfx in their last days of December, 2000. New, never used:

2004412484962419703_rs.jpg

2004447796606429074_rs.jpg

2004452580837102826_rs.jpg

2004496023601961702_rs.jpg

2004431060572602313_rs.jpg

2004410205385019991_rs.jpg

Sexy card. I had one that I picked up for like $35 bucks for kicks, no box though.

Wow, a card that uses two cores and needs an external power connector long before the techs are common.

Still have one in a box unused at the mo. Looking at that card its amazing how much space is left bare on the pcb, card probably could have been a helluva lot shorter than the final product. Wonder what the video market would be like today if there was still 3 major players around, possible it would have been a lot further ahead than it is today. Id say multi gpu design would have been adopted much sooner than it was and would probably be the standard today.

Oh well :( bad management decisions really boned that company over. Buying stb, screwing their oem's, engineers being moved away from next gen products to work on stopgap products. =/

Wow, a card that uses two cores and needs an external power connector long before the techs are common.

I could not have said it better myself. Remember when this thing first hit the market? People were such a panic about the dreaded power connector. Sissies. That company was awesome - best people to work for. When we received the email on December 23, 2000, we were crushed. I know I was. Long live 3dfx. :(

Oh well :( bad management decisions really boned that company over. Buying stb, screwing their oem's, engineers being moved away from next gen products to work on stopgap products. =/

Chris, to an extent, that was all true. I will tell you though, that the thing that made us all scared shit was the GeForce 2 GTS. That was the start of what we knew would be a battle against a powerhouse we couldn't win. Daytona was still a year off at that point, and Nvidia was already clobbering us in framerate (but not image quality).

Think the thing that suprised me the most was nvidia totally burying the voodoo brand name, back then it was still a highly recognised brand if not the most recognised brand in the video card market. Closest they got to using it was the "geforce fx" range but im not even sure if the fx meant 3dfx engineers had worked on it (as was stated by numerous sites at the time) or since they were emphasising hollywood effects in real time "fx" was just the moniker they chose to push that. Near sure the fx samples arrived at review sites in a film can type of box.

Also don't forget that Glide was falling by the wayside, and the most popular benchmark then was Quake 3. Well, we all know how piss-poor a Voodoo-based card did against a GeForce in that game. Direct X was gaining ground, and our drivers were awful in that regard. Daytona was going to use a Glide wrapper, so it would have been a strong OpenGL performer.

Funny how these threads always turn into reminiscing about past years. :p

Its weird though how no card has really "wowed" me since my old voodoo 3, before that i was on integrated gfx and some games ran fine, others chugged like crazy. Bought a voodoo3 and from then on anything i played flew along. Nowadays i obviously know what to expect with new cards but with the old voodoo it was going from chugging to silky smooth. :D

it is halo. halo was originally a pc game first. probably on the box because it was saying it was a videocard for future games

There's no doubt about it, 3dfx had the best box art ever.

Their box art was interesting imo, damn sight better than dogs with helmets on, or some kind of robot with a frogs head (palit cards), can't say i care much for the ruby character either. The old voodoo 5 boxes definately were eye catchers.

Remember the days when you couldn't hear your video card at all and your card didn't take up 2 slots and require a chunk of copper heatsink so heavy you had to lift it into your case with a crane? :p

I bet that video card can run Oregon trail on full settings. If you really want to push your luck, you can enable AA.

it is halo. halo was originally a pc game first. probably on the box because it was saying it was a videocard for future games

Actually, it was originally a Mac game. ;)
It was then decided to be Mac and PC, then MS bought out Bungie to spear-head their new XBox console.

Chris, to an extent, that was all true. I will tell you though, that the thing that made us all scared shit was the GeForce 2 GTS. That was the start of what we knew would be a battle against a powerhouse we couldn't win. Daytona was still a year off at that point, and Nvidia was already clobbering us in framerate (but not image quality).

Clobbering in framerate, a battle against a powerhouse, doesn't that sound very familiar? G80 perhaps? :eek: I pray that AMD doesn't go the route of 3dfx! :(

Chris, to an extent, that was all true. I will tell you though, that the thing that made us all scared shit was the GeForce 2 GTS. That was the start of what we knew would be a battle against a powerhouse we couldn't win. Daytona was still a year off at that point, and Nvidia was already clobbering us in frame-rate (but not image quality).

"Us"? Did you work for 3dfx? Seriously inquiring here.

Love those 3dfx pics. Sure brings back memories...

OOps, i missed the post where you said "best people to work for", haha I'm dumb. Awesome though, I really miss 3dfx.

Edit: btw I'm still scouring ebay from time to time for a PCI version Voodoo 5500. Add that to my collection :)

count me in as a 3dfx reminiscer. My first true 3d card was the voodoo1. I was a kid, so it took me a long time to get the money for a voodoo3 when it came out. 3dfx was great. But, sadly, they faltered. I tell you this, if they had managed to get through those days, we would have a lot more stuff to talk about right now than 8800 series cards being the uncontested top dogs.

Wow, SLI branded card with external power connector, that's awesome. Ahead of it's time.

I miss the Voodoo cards they were generally really innovative. Voodoo 2 had 3 gpus didn't it?

Wow, SLI branded card with external power connector, that's awesome. Ahead of it's time.

I miss the Voodoo cards they were generally really innovative. Voodoo 2 had 3 gpus didn't it?

Not really. It had two TMUs (Texture Mapping Units) on seperate chips. Something that other graphics accelerators did with one chip such as the TNT and Rage series.

The first graphics chip to be called a true GPU was the GeForce 256 , followed by the Radeon.

A part of me died that day. :(

I still wear the shirt, have my original Voodoo Rush card I got for $220 (hey it was fine for me), and own two V5's still.

3DFX was the best!!!!!!!!!!! nVidia should bring back the brand and use it, gain some old school sales, hehehe not but really, that would be cool, wouldnt it? ;)

Back