3D Tech demos, where are they and what does that say about RTX?

spine

2[H]4U
I've been thinking in recent years, and more so lately, that I really miss the old tech demos that would coincide with each new generation of graphics cards.

I mean, nothing used to get me all jelly like a shiny new tech demo that my current rig either couldn't run, or not so smoothly.

But take a look at nvidia's official tech demo page:

nvidia_demos.png

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/coolstuff/demos

It's like they gave up after the 900 series. The 10 series brought nothing new, and for the 20 series they cobbled up Ray Tracing.

But where's the awesome tech demo for that? o_O

I mean, what was the last awesome 3D tech demo you saw?

And I don't mean a Youtube video of it, which seems to be the style lately. :rolleyes:

There is more of a focus now to directly liaise with developers to more quickly implement the technology into games, for example Battlefield 1. The features introduced are already pushed and implemented into games.

By contrast as an example with the 900 series the feature introduced and showed via tech demo was VXGI, it has no game implementation even to this date.

I was hoping we could download the Star Wars and faux Iron Man demos. Hopefully at some point in the future we'll be able to. But 3DMark recently added the Port Royal demo for Ray Tracing.

Back