3D Realms Reveals Old -School Shooter Using Build Engine

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Remember back in the day when Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior were all the rage? If you do and want to experience some old school gaming utilizing the same engine that was used in those games then you are in luck today. 3D Realms is releasing a new shooter using the Build engine called Ion Maiden. It's available as a Steam Early Access title right now. Check out the trailer.

Watch the video here.

Do I get a discount for having bought the original for about the same price. Or should I be happy when I input the difference for inflation?

Duke 3d one of the few FPS I played to completion...So much fun back in the day when games were next gen due to being able to aim up and down hah.

So early access for a game as uncomplicated as this shouldn't be more than a few months right? I mean, how long does it take to create maps when we could do it ourselves in a few days as amateurs?

Last edited:
Some of the best fun I've ever had in my life was one on one Duke Nukem 3D with my friend Chris back in 97 or 98 or whenever the game came out. First game I ever pre-ordered. Got a free mouse pad with the pre-order which I even used. This was right before 3DfX came out with their Voodoo card add-on. Maybe a year or so prior. Can't remember exactly.

For a long time he knew where one of the rocket launchers were and he would always chase me down like a dog at the start of the game. I remember having to fight for my life to survive which made me a much better player. One time he caught be mid flight after I jumped out of the movie theater window and all the globs of blood and guts rained down over the seats. Primitive graphics compared to today's but so much fun back then.

And of course this was 20 years ago so we had to use modem dial-up.

Back at the time I even remember John Carmack saying in an interview that he thought Ken Silverman was a brilliant coder which made me enjoy playing Duke Nukem 3D even that better.

Very cool that they are doing this.

LOL, just discovered that John Carmack is from where I live, Roeland Park, Kansas. Crazy.

They have my attention for nostalgia purposes...but 4K without the textures is a waste.

This is the FUTURE. Since video cards are now a mining tool, we all have to use our built in video cards that come with the processor.

my_body_is_ready.png

That made me smile. Will definitely look into it for the fun factor. Bet it will run on my surface pro 2........

So early access for a game as uncomplicated as this shouldn't be more than a few months right? I mean, how long does it take to create maps when we could do it ourselves in a few days as amateurs?

You do realize this is 3DRealms right? The same 3DRealms behind Duke Nukem Forever, the same 3DRealms that became the joke of the internet for release delays?

DNF lesson learned? Don't make people wait years and years for a "cutting edge" sequel that shits all over the original.

A 5 floppy game.

Dammit. I've only got 4 floppy drives. Shoulda spent the extra for the super tall chassis with the five 5.25" bays...

I went ahead and bought it - fun first level - brings back a lot of memories of playing D3D

3D Realms is boomeranging backward. Next it will be a side-scroller based on the Commander Keen engine.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 24
3D Realms is boomeranging backward. Next it will be a side-scroller based on the Commander Keen engine.

Yeah, but if they did that it would still sell. I mean, All the Keen's together are $5 on Steam and it looks like they are selling. Retro gaming is getting big again and they were huge through the early 2000's

Yeah, but if they did that it would still sell. I mean, All the Keen's together are $5 on Steam and it looks like they are selling. Retro gaming is getting big again and they were huge through the early 2000's

It is and it’s been mentioned but the gpu situation ultimately stands to help fun retro/indie titles that run on anything. I’ve been working on old games bought through steam sales and humble bundles and having a blast. Plenty of fun to be had with lighter system requirements.

I was feeling that retro itch last weekend. Scratched it good and got Wing Commander IV up and running. Still not completely sure how, but glad I did.

This is pretty cool too, good for them!

I'll buy it if they require a c: prompt and DOS commands to open the game.

Last edited:
Back