3D PS3 gaming coming via firmware update

Gamespot said:
Sony hasn't treated its aims at fully entering the stereoscopic 3D landscape with much secrecy. At the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show, Sony showed off Polyphony Digital and Evolution's MotorStorm with full depth of field using the emerging 3D display technology. Representatives of the Japanese electronics giant also said in September at a German tech conference that Sony would begin manufacturing a PlayStation 3-compatible 3D Bravia HDTV by the end of 2010.

This would pop out of the screen with 3D glasses.

What's more, Sony reps said that it also plans to integrate the stereoscopic 3D technology directly into the PS3 beginning in 2011 or 2012. Now, Sony has thrown its full corporate weight behind its intent to integrate stereoscopic 3D into the PS3 as part of a presentation given to media and investors today.

As part of a slide titled "5 Key Advantages of PlayStation 3,"Sony said all PS3 units would eventually be given a 3D display mode as part of a future firmware update. The company also said that it will release a line of 3D games that make use of the technology. However, it did not indicate when the firmware update or the 3D-compatible games would come to market.

Aside from new games, Sony has previously indicated that the 3D tech could also work with existing software. At the aforementioned German exhibition, Sony set up the prototype unit with a PS3 showing off existing games, like WipeOut HD, being played in 3D. Company reps said the technology on display was built into the HDTV itself, meaning it would work with preexisting PS3 games and consoles.

Source: GameSpot

So I wonder if this would require a REAL 120Hz display similarly that steroscopic 3D PC games require. And if it does then this means that Sony will be one of the first to deliver on a real 120Hz TV. Only downside would be probably have a high pricepoint like most Sony products. Thoughts?

Thoughts? No thoughts, just excitement. According to people who've experienced the 3D offered by the PS3 using GT5P, it was epic.

Cannot wait.

Well you only need 120HZ if your gaming at 60FPS. A lot of console games are 30FPS anyway.

And if it does then this means that Sony will be one of the first to deliver on a real 120Hz TV.

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought there were already 120hz LCDs out ?
What's the difference with the upcoming Sony LCDs ?

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought there were already 120hz LCDs out ?
What's the difference with the upcoming Sony LCDs ?
120Hz TV sets duplicate frames to produce smoother motion for example in the case of film (24fps) the internal component of the TV will copy each frame 5 times for a total of 120fps so that it looks smoother. Those TVs can only receive up to 60 unique frames, using frame duplication to produce 120 frames. A monitor or TV capable of true 120Hz can interpret and display each frame up to 120 unique frames per second from any device such as a PC and display each one without having to duplicate. I believe that's right. :D

Last edited:
Meh, I wouldn't give a nickel for this, especially if you have to wear some lame glasses to get the 3D effect.

I'll wait for full on holographic projection, thanks.

i thought we had tvs out already with up to 600hz, i was thinking about getting a 47" lg lcd tv 1080p 200hz, or does the set specifically have to be 120hz? Also i though you had to buy those 3d glasses by nvidia in addition to a compatible tv?

eh, could be interesting... but you're much better off on a PC if you want to play games in stereo 3D. A lot more options not to mention more HP avalible to produce playable framrates without crippling the IQ

I honestly don't see the system handeling it very well unless it drops the output resolution (or cuts shader effects and such... but that would be up to the developers I'd think. I don't see how sony could control that unless there's something in the ps3 SDK to cut certain features on the fly)

I recently (1 year ago) got a Sony Bravia 52" W-Series. I'm guessing it won't support this?

The only thing on Sony's website on this product's spec page says "3D Comb Filter : Yes ", whatever that means ;D

I think this is very cool but unless Sony lets other companies put the 3d components into their TV's, this isn't going to take off. People don't want and are not interested in closed standards, or whatever you want to call it.

120Hz TV sets duplicate frames to produce smoother motion for example in the case of film (24fps) the internal component of the TV will copy each frame 5 times for a total of 120fps so that it looks smoother. Those TVs can only receive up to 60 unique frames, using frame duplication to produce 120 frames. A monitor or TV capable of true 120Hz can interpret and display each frame up to 120 unique frames per second from any device such as a PC and display each one without having to duplicate. I believe that's right. :D

120hz (and now 240hz) tv sets don't duplicate frames. They INTERPOLATE frames and actually generate new ones. Say an object is moving across the screen at a steady rate at 60fps... the tv set will recognize the motion and interpolate the intermediate frames to make it silky smooth.

120hz (and now 240hz) tv sets don't duplicate frames. They INTERPOLATE frames and actually generate new ones. Say an object is moving across the screen at a steady rate at 60fps... the tv set will recognize the motion and interpolate the intermediate frames to make it silky smooth.
That's not really true. What you're describing is a specific feature that you need to turn on (called AMP, motion enhancement, or whatever by the manufacturer). It's generally called the soap opera effect, and it's best used for sporting events and such.

If you leave the feature off, it will duplicate the frames (excluding a very few early 120hz sets). That's why 120hz TVs don't have 2:3 judder when given a 24hz input - there are no missing frames to cause it, because 5*24=120.

Years ago one of my first geforce cards came with 3d stereoscopic LCD shutter glasses.
The glasses would plug directly into the video card through some proprietary port.
They were used on a 17" CRT monitor at a high refresh rate (not sure if it was 120hz or lower)
At the time i tried the 3d maybe a handful of times found it to be useless, and put the glasses back in its box.
Funny enough I still own this card and its glasses, sitting in a closet collecting dust.
I don't plan on jumping into the 3D tech this time around.

The nvidia glasses are brilliant, they cost a bit (about £150) but they pretty much make about 100+ pc games 3d. The funniest thing of all which most are not aware of is that there is a 3d format war!! In one corner you have SKY with their SKY HD box (although 3d on SKY HD would Halve the resolution lol) and in the other corner you have SONY, SAMSUNG, NVIDIA, LG and PHILLIPS gearing for nvidias way and full hd 3d movies/tv (but with theirs you would need rechargable glasses. So be prepared for another war!! Personally id like full hd 3d movies, 3d games id like full hd but i think we will be waiting for the next gen consoles.

Last edited:
Years ago one of my first geforce cards came with 3d stereoscopic LCD shutter glasses.

I had them too. It strains your eyes after a while. It was a novelty, I quit using them after a month. The 3d looked pretty good though on stuff like Quake 3, even back then.

I'm excited by this news but I don't want to have to buy a new HDTV for it. Why can't this work on current Plasma HDTVs? They are already well above 120hz refresh rate. Maybe the Sony HDTV for 3D will be a dual panel tech like iZ3D and Zalman use in their 3D monitors.

As stated by Silent Hero, currently TV's only input 60FPS since TV/Blu-Ray/DVD doesn't need anymore. They advertise 120/240hz or whatever FPS displayed.

i thought we had tvs out already with up to 600hz, i was thinking about getting a 47" lg lcd tv 1080p 200hz, or does the set specifically have to be 120hz? Also i though you had to buy those 3d glasses by nvidia in addition to a compatible tv?

I'm excited by this news but I don't want to have to buy a new HDTV for it. Why can't this work on current Plasma HDTVs? They are already well above 120hz refresh rate. Maybe the Sony HDTV for 3D will be a dual panel tech like iZ3D and Zalman use in their 3D monitors.

This is weak I see no need for this at all.You will have to buy some uber big 50inch tv that will cost $1,500 or more then some lame ass $300 glasses just to get the effect.I will pass on this one for sure

That's not really true. What you're describing is a specific feature that you need to turn on (called AMP, motion enhancement, or whatever by the manufacturer). It's generally called the soap opera effect, and it's best used for sporting events and such.

If you leave the feature off, it will duplicate the frames (excluding a very few early 120hz sets). That's why 120hz TVs don't have 2:3 judder when given a 24hz input - there are no missing frames to cause it, because 5*24=120.

Duh, your right. AMP is separate from frame rate :)

This is weak I see no need for this at all.You will have to buy some uber big 50inch tv that will cost $1,500 or more then some lame ass $300 glasses just to get the effect.I will pass on this one for sure

50" is so 2 years ago, 100+ now please :D

On a more serious note movies are already heading more into 3d so it's only natural the video game market is gonna wanna take its slice of the pie too. Gotta say playing Arkham Asylum of BC2 in 3d would be an awesome experience.

On a more serious note movies are already heading more into 3d so it's only natural the video game market is gonna wanna take its slice of the pie too. Gotta say playing Arkham Asylum of BC2 in 3d would be an awesome experience.

Arkham is getting good reviews in 3d!!

Battlefield: Batman FTW lol

Done well, the 3D effect can be quite spectacular. Up in 3d was amazing, and the preview for Toy Story 3 looked as if the curtains at the front of the theatre had pulled back to reveal, not a screen, but a stage.

Done poorly, the 3D effect can be quite, quite lame. The whole "Let me get out my tape measure!" and it pops out of the screen etc, that's shitty. I imagine video-games would just add depth behind the screen more than "project" things out from it.

Last edited:
Done well, the 3D effect can be quite spectacular. Up in 3d was amazing, and the preview for Toy Story 3 looked as if the curtains at the front of the stage had pulled back to reveal, not a screen, but a stage.

Done poorly, the 3D effect can be quite, quite lame. The whole "Let me get out my tape measure!" and it pops out of the screen etc, that's shitty. I imagine video-games would just add depth behind the screen more than "project" things out from it.

Totally agree, Final Destination bar the odd good effect was mostly pap, obviously there are gonna be quite a few games that will mirror the trend, but there will be some games that will really be enhanced by the whole 3d thang I think and I'm looking forward to see it in action.

As stated by Silent Hero, currently TV's only input 60FPS since TV/Blu-Ray/DVD doesn't need anymore. They advertise 120/240hz or whatever FPS displayed.

That appllies to LCD and not Plasma as far as I know. I was talking about Plasma. The issue is about refresh rate of the TV. The glasses need to open/shut 60 cycles per second per eye opposite form each other so that is why 120hz is needed. 60hz per image drawn at opposing intervals = 120hz.

When I had Asus 3D glasses years ago on a CRT monitor you could use 50hz or 60hz so the monitor only had to be capable of 100hz at the resolution you used for 3D. Once again, why would we need to buy a 120hz Sony Bravia if we already have a Plasma that can do above 120hz refresh rate? That was my question.

Back