3D Print Your Own Kaby Lake DeLid Tool

POP! Yay. :D

The 4k is very nice.

That is a nice looking vice for $20.

I used Ceramique 2 under the lid on my 3570K. The results were good. Not as good as when I used CLU, but close. I also didn't silicone the lid back on though.

Honestly...this who delid/relid thing is pretty cool for the enthusiast...it does have some risk, but there is a measurable reward (die temp).

do you think warming up the chip first would help it break loose easier or would it be pointless? like with reeaaalllly old tim on a hsf.

do you think warming up the chip first would help it break loose easier or would it be pointless? like with reeaaalllly old tim on a hsf.
I would assume bringing the temp up would make the adhesive easier to break loose. But not to confuse people, these newer CPUs do not have the soldered IHS, so no heat is needed in regards to that.

yeah that's all I meant(the glue not the TIM) might make it easier and require less force. maybe less of that satisfying POP!

edit: added the bracket part

How'd the 100% one work? What are your preferences between the two? Would a hair dryer (start small on the heat) up to heat gun make the POP a bit less cringe worthy?

Shoot. I was hoping you'd say something free.
Nothing out there that I know will support 4K resolution for free that is worth a shit. I was suggested HitFilm 4 the other day and it is free for HD support. I loaded it and it looked nice, but I did not use it.

Potential n00b delidder here with a few questions..

Can an i7-6850k be delidded? I think I read somewhere that those are soldered. If soldered the temp difference wouldn't be as good as the i7-7600 results.. might not be worth the hassle, since delidding a soldered heat spreader is likely very difficult.

Some reviewer on Amazon for the Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra said they use magnesium and that it is corrosive.. any truth to that? Another reviewer said it will melt aluminum, which likely applies to anyone using this for the cpu's heatsink...

Potential n00b delidder here with a few questions..

Can an i7-6850k be delidded? I think I read somewhere that those are soldered. If soldered the temp difference wouldn't be as good as the i7-7600 results.. might not be worth the hassle, since delidding a soldered heat spreader is likely very difficult.

Some reviewer on Amazon for the Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra said they use magnesium and that it is corrosive.. any truth to that? Another reviewer said it will melt aluminum, which likely applies to anyone using this for the cpu's heatsink...
Yes those are soldered and you will very likely not see big gains for the PITA that it is.

You can do it however. Have fun without the right tools though. :) Or an open flame at the very least.

I would think it would be difficult to head up the proc first, then put it in the 3D printed holder. It might warp with the wrong material, making the process more difficult and not as precise as it already is.

Thanks, I'm not going to try it on the 6850k.

It hasn't been a great overclocker either, but it is doing better once I set it for cpu vcore offset of 0.16. Prior to that I had left it on auto.. since it appeared that the asus automatic OC software had done it all already.. didn't know if I needed to change anything in the bios or not. But I was in the bios looking at settings, and noticed it was at 1.12vcore, which seemed a little low, but I also think it adjusts the voltage as needed. So I pikced an offset value so that it would be at 1.28. It's been like that for 3 weeks or so just fine. I know you have had poor overclocking results with Skylake, but also notice it seems like everyone just sets a higher vcore and leaves it statically set. Maybe leaving vcore on auto, but also using the offset, will allow the voltage to move around as needed but also be high enough for overclocking?

Or am I mis-understanding what that does?

(Sorry if this question belongs in a different thread or something)

Thanks, I'm not going to try it on the 6850k.

It hasn't been a great overclocker either, but it is doing better once I set it for cpu vcore offset of 0.16. Prior to that I had left it on auto.. since it appeared that the asus automatic OC software had done it all already.. didn't know if I needed to change anything in the bios or not. But I was in the bios looking at settings, and noticed it was at 1.12vcore, which seemed a little low, but I also think it adjusts the voltage as needed. So I pikced an offset value so that it would be at 1.28. It's been like that for 3 weeks or so just fine. I know you have had poor overclocking results with Skylake, but also notice it seems like everyone just sets a higher vcore and leaves it statically set. Maybe leaving vcore on auto, but also using the offset, will allow the voltage to move around as needed but also be high enough for overclocking?

Or am I mis-understanding what that does?

(Sorry if this question belongs in a different thread or something)

He has a Skylake/Kaby Lake Relid tool listed now to print. He has a holder for the lid & the CPU with a clamp to hold until the IHS adhesive cures.

If Intel wasn't cheap delidding wouldn't be needed. Good ole days when solder was used.

Sorry I should have explained more clearly what I meant.

I was meaning what about relidding with the 3D printed delidder?

The commercial one allowed you to relid it with good results. Doesn't look like (at least to me) the custom printed version assists with this in any way.
Relidding is not supported with that tool.

Apologies if it was but I didn't see it mentioned earlier. Is the 3D printed material ABS or PLA?

Apologies if it was but I didn't see it mentioned earlier. Is the 3D printed material ABS or PLA?
Putting together an article on this and am getting feedback now from Spacy on specs etc.

Well, that was a ass-pucker moment for my Skylake 6600K..... It was about 10:30 at night and a few beers deep.... I was preparing the CPU in the de-lidding tool and noticed it said IVY, and thought to myself, can't wait till I delid this Ivybridge CPU of mine...It wasn't until about halfway into the compressed turns of the C-clamp did I realize I grabbed the wrong de-lidding tool, and I wasn't delidding an Ivybridge.... (I printed the Ivy and Skylake/Kabbylak tools). And, then it *popped* and my heart stopped for a second, and i quickly pulled it out, and all looked good. Whew!

And, after some testing, I'm totally 4.8Ghz stable with core temps ranging from 65-83 with IBT... And never going above 65c in games. I'm very happy.

Here's some pics: (yeah yeah, IC Diamond, blah blah, I love this stuff)
before.delid.jpg

delid.setup.jpg

after.delid.jpg

after.delid.TIM.jpg

Well, that was a ass-pucker moment for my Skylake 6600K..... It was about 10:30 at night and a few beers deep.... I was preparing the CPU in the de-lidding tool and noticed it said IVY, and thought to myself, can't wait till I delid this Ivybridge CPU of mine...It wasn't until about halfway into the compressed turns of the C-clamp did I realize I grabbed the wrong de-lidding tool, and I wasn't delidding an Ivybridge.... (I printed the Ivy and Skylake/Kabbylak tools). And, then it *popped* and my heart stopped for a second, and i quickly pulled it out, and all looked good. Whew!

And, after some testing, I'm totally 4.8Ghz stable with core temps ranging from 65-83 with IBT... And never going above 65c in games. I'm very happy.

Here's some pics: (yeah yeah, IC Diamond, blah blah, I love this stuff)
before.delid.jpg

delid.setup.jpg

after.delid.jpg

after.delid.TIM.jpg
Stole your stuff for news postage. :) Many thanks!

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/02/09/homebrew_3d_delidding_done_right

Do you re-glue the lid or just lay it on and put the heatsink ?

Also, I'd like to give a warm welcome to Chri to [H]ardForums! THank you so much for your efforts in making this 3D Printable De-Lidding tool! You rock!

jeeezus that was sphincter tightening! I was expecting several decent hits with the hammer not one full on wack! works though!

Back