3D Print Your Own Intel Delid Tool for Skylake & Kaby Lake @ [H]

Kyle you gotta do more videos, they are always good to watch. On a side note do you shave your hands? ^.^

Somehow I do not have the balls to take a hammer and a piece of 2x4 to my nearly 400 dollar computer piece.

I can just hear my wife now........."you did what.......are you fucking crazy......why don't you just light the money on fire.....it would be quicker...."

Well of course you did, it's your profession. This is a work related expense, thus it's fully justifiable for you.

The issue is that I can only write off so much, let alone justify that sort of fun with five girls in their teens.

In short.

I'm jealous.

Really, really jealous.
LOL! I hear you brother. I will say this, most of the folks that go into "this business" to get free hardware, and there were plenty, are mostly gone now.

Waiting for the TIM to arrive, parts printed, but wondering if there shouldn't be some type of relid tool also; to hold pressure on the lid as the Permatex stuff dries. I guess I could just use the bottom piece and something to press on the lid and c-clam it again, but I dunno... Maybe I'm overthinking it, a binderclip might do the same.... Or is there actually a 3d printed relid tool? Found nothing on Thingiverse

Next phase is to make a tool that you can use your foot to apply pressure to delid. Should be possible

Waiting for the TIM to arrive, parts printed, but wondering if there shouldn't be some type of relid tool also; to hold pressure on the lid as the Permatex stuff dries. I guess I could just use the bottom piece and something to press on the lid and c-clam it again, but I dunno... Maybe I'm overthinking it, a binderclip might do the same.... Or is there actually a 3d printed relid tool? Found nothing on Thingiverse
A binder clip that very strong might be a good solution, but there is a drawback, but it could be remedied with changing how the tool is made. I have been looking to do a relid video today so this has been on my mind. I think if you use the inner portion of the delid tool and then clamp down onto that so the substrate is supported on the edges, it should give you a good seal, unless you use too much clamping force. As shown in the picture, the leading edge of the substrate is not supported and if you use too much pressure it gaps there.

20170210_160651_001.jpg

If you added material there on that edge, you could remedy that issue and make it awesome for relidding.

I have another idea for relidding and resealing. Why not just use the cpu socket clamp for mounting pressure ? Should be enough, if one want's to reseal the IHS when new TIM and "insert you own choise of sealant here" has been applied.

Myself I don't reseal, just apply CLU on the core and put the bare CPU back in the socket, then place the IHS correctly on top an clamp it down in the socket and im good to go. Plus side of this is that there will be no sealant to interfere with the core/IHS contact pressure. One could argue the mounting pressure would be as [H]ard as it could get.
My experiences have shown that sealing it down very well gives better temps. YMMV.

You may check that : https://www.youmagine.com/designs/intel-sky-kaby-lake-relid-tool ;)

:) Chri

So we already get improvements from just replacing the stock thermal paste and adding a bigger heat sink and fans. Just how much more is this giving us on top of all of that? I have seen one video but i dont remember if they gave a good enough review.

Damn! You get other people to shave your taint? I wish I had that kind of money, salons here won't go near it.

That was friggen great! Feels very Mythbusters like. Wouldn't be surprised if Adam and Jamie show up to help you delid with a bullet, or better yet, explosives. ;)

Has anyone tried suggesting to Intel to put quality TIM in their $400 products? Seems like an easier fix than all this mess. :p

Is that setup ESD safe? :D j/k

Quick idea I had. Instead of using a hammer and a block of wood, use a tourniquet. Place a 2" strip of cloth along the moving axis of the delid tool and use something (a pencil, screwdriver, a butterknife, whatever) to twist the fabric so it squeezes the lid off of the CPU. The cloth from an old t-shirt should be strong enough for this.

Damn it Kyle! Stop tempting me with these delidding techniques. Must resist temptation to mess around with the CPU...

Right? I'm going to be building a new system with a 7700k. It's taking all my resistance not to delid. At least, not right now.

Just built my 7700k and I am tempted as well, my buddy has a new 3d-printer and I dunno for how much longer I can resist :D

Making a few test prints first so we get used to the 3d stuff...its all new for us.

Relidding somehow holds me back... would be nice if it was built-in into the tool.

Kyle, great videos, great site, you damn rock !!!

I got one from spacey9 as well. sadly it didnt fit my ivy bridge the normal way. but simply flipping the cpu around as well as the "hat" part and it went flawlessly.
i used electric tape at the edges to make the force disperese a bit better on the unit. as well as around the CPU to hold it in place since it was not resting all the way into the hole.

the operation to pop the lid was very fast. took alot longer time to clean the PCB and lid.

I really think the tool does not need to be 100% formed to just one type of cpu and witha bit more hole in the bottom/inside it can fit a broad variety of CPU units.

i off cause forgot pictures

photo_1487035330653.jpg

photo_1487035381294.jpg

The CPU is not picture in the right position here it wars turner 90degress so the flat side of the lid was going again the flat side of the "hat"

I really think the tool does not need to be 100% formed to just one type of cpu and witha bit more hole in the bottom/inside it can fit a broad variety of CPU units.

If all printer would have the same quality my printers have i would agree you 100%

But there are alot of different printers with different quality, and even printing different layerheight (from 0.05 up to 0,3mm layer height).
And i want to ensure that it will work least for most printers and not to crash the CPU`s
If i would make a tool for all there may be a higher chance that some people may fail with the tool which would not be good for reputation.

So thats why i go the "save" way with the tool and optimize it for each CPU typ.

Last edited by a moderator:
which of course allows you to then remove the IHS and replace the somewhat anemic Intel Thermal Interface Material with something more robust.
I though it was fairly well established that the TIM used is just fine, it's the separation between the top of the die and the underside of the IHS that is the issue. Which is why relidding is so dependant of proper seating and application of pressure (and why convex heatsink bases perform better than perfectly flat ones).
i7-3770KtemperatureswhenshimmedwithNTH1.png

We are using CoolLabs Liquid Ultra, and it has worked well giving us around a 20C temperature reduction in package temps using an Intel Core i7-7700K.
For short term testing, or extreme overclocking, this is likely fine. But for long term operation, 'liquid metal' TIMs are not a good idea to use on bare dies. While the face of the die itself has a deposited metallic layer, the same is not true of the edges and underside of the die. The Gallium contained on those eutectic alloys is some nasty stuff and will quite happily infiltrate and redope Silicon (a few atoms of dopant will completely destroy a transistor). Particularly an issue with dies too small to be soldered (e.g. any LGA115x chip from Ivy Bridge onward), as they will lack the additional metallic layers of dies intended for soldering.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Meeho
like this
Hi guys,
Can i use the kaby tool for delid i7 4790k haswell cpu ?

Cordially.

should also work for haswell, we delidded a G3258 successfully and the kaby tool only has two addition slots for the kaby tray, the rest is identical.

Chri

Rainy weekend, decided to get this done....

$3 c-clamp from Harbor freight and wood scraps. That Pop others report is real! but worked so nice!
2ypn0v9.jpg

Cleaned and TIM applied
2pu041f.jpg

Used a binder clip as it seemed the perfect size, I did stick a couple of dimes on top of the lid because I wanted the pressure more so on the center of the lid than on the edges....
lunw2.jpg

So now to wait till tonight and hope it posts!! Thanks Kyle and Chri!

Back