3D Print Your Own Intel Delid Tool for Skylake & Kaby Lake @ [H]

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by FrgMstr, Feb 9, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

3D Print Your Own Intel Delid Tool for Skylake & Kaby Lake - A lot of us have come to find out recently that Intel once again skimped on the Thermal Interface Material inside these processors' Integrated Heat Spreaders. You can fix that issue however, and now there are some ways to do it safely. If you have a 3D printer, you can make the process a lot safer, and the tools needed much less expensive.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    D4rkn3ss, hv43082, PliotronX and 3 others like this.
  2. Cobra

Cobra 2[H]4U

Another great video. I'm too much of a coward to do something like this to my brand new CPU, but I might consider it a couple years down the road.

AceGoober and FrgMstr like this.
  3. TheHobbyist

TheHobbyist Hugs Hard Johnnies [H]ard

In the articles and subsequent discussions, I believe you mentioned that one of the crucial steps was re-lidding the processor. The first tool used assisted in the re-lidding process as I understood. Does this 3d printed tool design assist with re-lidding?

4. FrgMstr

No it does not. But with a bit of finesse and a clamp you can do just as good of a job. Actually that sounds like another good video project.

5. Napoleon

Napoleon Gawd

I just have to say, I am enjoying the DIY project related posts and articles.

Physically tinkering with my computer has always been enjoyable yet recently the fact that OC'ing has been more mainstream has taken some of that fun away (AIO's, factory hardware support, tons of enthusiast hardware and case options). It used to feel like we were getting away with something by squeezing out some extra performance.

Keep up the good work!

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

The good days when this
    [​IMG]
    was the OC tool of choice.

Kwaz, Moonjock, CaptNumbNutz and 11 others like this.
  7. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, this may be asking too much of you but would it be possible since you do seem to have several new Kaby's if you could show us the process from start to finish. From the delidding, the scraping of the stuff you have to remove, maybe a few hints on how to be careful, application of the liquid metal and the adhesive you used to reapply the metal cpu lid. I personally would feel comfortable having a blue print so to speak. There are a few on the web but 1 - they are not in 4k ( your 4K is amazing ) 2 - Those aren't HardOCP branded or narrated by yours truly and 3 - I think a lot more people would do this if they had a start to finish.

Something to consider. Or, you may already have this planned.

Also, I think the 4k is a great tool. Would love to see more videos maybe one a month.

8. TokiWartooth

TokiWartooth n00b

Hasn't he already done that? The video posted last week showed the entire process of delidding, scraping off adhesive, applying liquid metal, and the reapplying of the IHS. What more do you need to see?

9. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

I guess I'm gonna have to find a kind soul who will 3D print one of these tools for some Paypal $$$. :D

10. FrgMstr

All that is actually already there in the series of video is you watch.

11. -PK-

-PK- [H]ard|Gawd

He also makes a 3d printed relidding tool. https://www.youmagine.com/chri/designs

12. iwhocorrupts

iwhocorrupts Limp Gawd

I had an Ivy delid tool printed .. ended up using a razor blade to finish the job.

13. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

$12 for a 5" c clamp? Nuts. I picked up a 5" one last summer for $4.99 at walmart. You can probably get them for less than $12 at lowes or home depot also.

14. Chri

Chri n00b

Hy Guy`s

I`m the creator of the 3D Printed Delid tools, i just found the posts on HARDOCP website.

First of all Thanks to Kyle for the great Presentation of the Tool :)

Just some in addition, for the responses i got (and also your video) it seems that the Kaby Lake has more / better glue than the Sky Lake, so it is better to screw the vice even slower than you did to give the glue time to peel off.

In Addition, PLEASE DONT USE A HAMMER ! :eek:, it`s not designed to do it this way.

Even with screwing my skylake very fast i noticed that the PCB was bending a little bit while it was under pressure so with a hammer, i don`t know what may happen to the PCB inside:cry:

To the C-Clamp, i also recommend this method only limited, especial when the mounts are very small.
    the reason is if someone is printing it with poor quality (and i already saw such prints), it may brake the tool apart.
    So if you really use a C-Clamp at least please use some sort of small woodplate (or similar) that has the size of the tool to distribute the force equally.

could you please share the information why it didn`t worked for you ?
    As i only have a Skylake CPU i could delid i also had no Ivy-Bridge CPU to do so, so any information for fixing the tool would be nice :)

sincerly Chri

Meeho likes this.
  15. iwhocorrupts

iwhocorrupts Limp Gawd

I think it was just a matter of the print not being structurally sound. It collapsed on me rather than delidding the chip.

Attached Files:

16. Chri

Chri n00b

Oh okay, that definitly looks like a printing issue, too much perimeters and bonding problem between them :/

Chri

17. Creig

Creig Gawd

Possibly printed at too low of a temperature for the type of filament being used.

18. FrgMstr

19. Mango_Reinhardt

Mango_Reinhardt n00b

That looks like your hotend temperatures were too cold for the material. You could also try changing the print orientation next time so the clamp forces are inline with the layers for more strength.

20. iwhocorrupts

iwhocorrupts Limp Gawd

Most likely. Honestly I just sent the plans to a friend at a university and he had it printed on campus, don't know any more details.

21. MrE

MrE 2[H]4U

It looks like your extrusion multiplier for the initial layer height is set too high in your slicer, or, your Z offset is too far from the bed. That will cause delamination of the layers as well.

While PLA can be strong, I'd think this is the kind of tool you want to use ABS or PETG primarily with where strength is required.

22. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

These videos bring a whole new aspect to [H]. Anyone can write words of what their experience is with such-an-such tool yet a video showing the tool in action speaks volumes. Thanks for taking the time to create these videos and keep up the good work, Kyle. (y)

DrezKill likes this.
  23. FrgMstr

Yeah, this stuff needs more than words IMO. Thanks for the props.

24. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

I vote full WHACK. Go big or go home.

25. Chri

Chri n00b

ABS is too weak when printing normal, got already some pictures with slightly damaged tool`s,
    PLA is much more harder than ABS, just print two parts and knock them on the desk, you hear the difference ;)

Chri

26. MrE

MrE 2[H]4U

Not sure I agree with that assessment. PLA tends to be more brittle. Most prototype tools and parts are printed in ABS for its strength, especially if you vapor bath your parts. PETG has the best of both worlds (structural rigidity, easy to print). Check out Tom's on Youtube where his strength tests compare ABS to PLA and Nylon, HIPS, PETG. He tests layer adhesion, strength, temperature exposure.

As a side note, I hate printing in ABS. Bed warping is super irritating, especially on larger printed parts where you run the bed upwards of 110c and keep the fans set to minimum.

Mango_Reinhardt likes this.
  27. FrgMstr

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  28. russnuck

russnuck Gawd

Why not cut a shallow groove into the piece of wood? That way it wouldn't slip around or tilt as much when you strike it. Perhaps also a larger hammer (4 pound sledge) with a slower strike.

Just thoughts.

29. Virtual_Bomber

Virtual_Bomber Limp Gawd

Do you think a rubber mallet would work directly on the tool itself? (might not be a hard enough hit though :-/ ) A deadblow hammer would work better on that wood so it wouldn't bounce off of it so hard.

30. FrgMstr

Yep, got both....but I think most people surely have access to a claw hammer.

AceGoober and Virtual_Bomber like this.
  31. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, do you have access to something like a hydraulic press? :p

FrgMstr and Nukester like this.
  32. ccmfreak2

ccmfreak2 Limp Gawd

"I didn't want to use a new expensive one." - Kyle

Chicken!

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

Lord, that would be cringe worthy!

AceGoober and FrgMstr like this.
  34. DWolvin

DWolvin [H]ard|Gawd

Beer, yes.
    Whisky, maybe not.
    MoJo? Search the DC forum... :)

35. Creig

Creig Gawd

It's 40% and 100% infill, not backfill. Backfill is usually material that gets dumped into a hole at a construction site.

36. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

You're destroying, or at least trying to destroy processor that are better than what I'm running Kyle.

I need to start a website so I can have an excuse to buy shit I don't need.

37. FrgMstr

I did buy that CPU.

AceGoober likes this.
  38. FrgMstr

Noted and corrected in the article. Not going to shoot the video again! Thanks!

AceGoober likes this.
  39. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Kyle was like Tim the Toolman when he transitioned from the broken 40% tool to the 100%. More Powa!

AceGoober likes this.
  40. russnuck

russnuck Gawd

Oh but he He does need it! All in the name of science!