3990x overclock. Pushing it a little harder?

newbie3

n00b
Is there anything I can do to push the 3990X a little more with PBO? I'm trying to inch closer to 4.7ghz all cores (wishful thinking). At the moment I can't seem to break the 4 ghz barrier.

ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
3990x
G.Skill Neo ram (2 channel now - waiting on 4 channel)
1600W PSU

Performance Enhancer level 2. Level 3 limits my EDC to 145A.

Temps stay around 66* on the Zenith display and low 70's on Ryzen Master. Looks like I have the margin to go faster.

Custom water cooling loop. 480mm rad. I'll add radiators as needed - up to 4x 480mm and I'll add a chiller if necessary. It doesn't look like I've maxed out yet. But I have a theory that PBO stats to throttle down before reaching 100c. So It may be already doing some throttling at 70c?

Attachments

• unnamed(3).png
    unnamed(3).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
youre not going to hit 4.7 without co2 or LN2. almost every water setup i can find tops out at 4.3-4.4 as noted below. can you set it in bios rather than in master? or maybe put master into manual mode?
"I would put overclocking potential on water cooling for an average 3990X in the comfortable range of 4.3-4.4 GHz depending on your luck in the silicon lottery."
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-threadripper-3990x-world-records

Agreed. 4.7 is out of the ballpark. I built it up to remove all the bottlenecks I could think of. But I'm hitting a wall at the moment and the components are not reaching the full potential. Stuck.

So I've done all my configurations in the bios and just use ryzen master to monitor the hardware during a benchmark.

I've been told that the 3990x doesn't respond well to manual overclocks. The best approach seems to be to leave PBO on and let it max out until it throttles down at 100c. But I'm not quite reaching that ceiling. I haven't seen temps go above 73c. I'm using cinebench R20 to get all 128 threads busy.

I'm plumbing in more radiators tonight.

One extra radiator and my cinebench R20 score went up by 1,000 points. Temps went down to ~68c from ~72c. But I'm still capped just under 4 ghz. Just not breaking above. It's getting cooler but not much progress. Posting full Ryzen Master screenshot..

If anyone sees anything off in there feel free to roast me. I am new to the Ryzen systems. Open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 2rad.png
    2rad.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 0
Back