3950x to 5950x temps normal to increase!?

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
Same cooler same PBO settings and voltages as the 3950x. Updated to the latest bios a few days ago knowing I'd get a 5950X hopefully soon and one popped up on AMD Direct for MSRP sooooooo here we are. So she runs on average 200-300 mhz more per core during prime, etc. But idle and load temps are a bit higher (10-12C). Same heatsink, etc. Thought I mounted it wrong the first time after putting a rice shape of AS5 and went the X route. Same result. She will get up to 80 or so during CB20 for instance. Is this normal??

cpuvolts1.JPG

My 5950x is around 85C in gaming or heavy CPU tests. Hotter than expected, but still acceptable.

I'm using a Scythe Fuma 2 and the IC Graphite pad. So not a high end cooling system (my last machine was on water AIO) but as I said, acceptable.

I don't think it's abnormal. You can use the Curve Optimizer to tweak it.

Same cooler same PBO settings and voltages as the 3950x. Updated to the latest bios a few days ago knowing I'd get a 5950X hopefully soon and one popped up on AMD Direct for MSRP sooooooo here we are. So she runs on average 200-300 mhz more per core during prime, etc. But idle and load temps are a bit higher (10-12C). Same heatsink, etc. Thought I mounted it wrong the first time after putting a rice shape of AS5 and went the X route. Same result. She will get up to 80 or so during CB20 for instance. Is this normal??

View attachment 374033
Sounds normal. And if you run Cinibench for 10 minutes or more, I wouldn't be surprised if it is well into the 80's. Especially if you are pushing 4.3ghz or more, per core.

Just an FYI...5950X CPUs have been available all morning on AMD's site.

Yeah, I posted about the same thing going from a 3950x to a 5950x. My cpu radiator fans never seemed to crank up very often with the 3950x. When I put in the 5950x in there, it was a whole new world. When gaming and not gpu limited, it was pushing hard. I had to put a frame rate limit on some games to control it. It will also spool up when doing some mundane things like downloading files and what not. I'm currently running PBO with curve optimizer set to -5 on all cores on the first CCD and -10 on all cores on the second CCD. I haven't drilled down further than that. I initially tried -10 on all cores, but the computer would crash at random times in the middle of the night and it would crash on every other restart. It was fine when actually using it. I think I have one core on the first CCD that is very touchy.

Yeah, I posted about the same thing going from a 3950x to a 5950x. My cpu radiator fans never seemed to crank up very often with the 3950x. When I put in the 5950x in there, it was a whole new world. When gaming and not gpu limited, it was pushing hard. I had to put a frame rate limit on some games to control it. It will also spool up when doing some mundane things like downloading files and what not. I'm currently running PBO with curve optimizer set to -5 on all cores on the first CCD and -10 on all cores on the second CCD. I haven't drilled down further than that. I initially tried -10 on all cores, but the computer would crash at random times in the middle of the night and it would crash on every other restart. It was fine when actually using it. I think I have one core on the first CCD that is very touchy.

I have a 3950X/2080 Super based system in my Lian Li O11 XL and it isn't much quieter than my 5950X/(aircooled)6900XT system.

I will stipulate, however, that I am still in the testing phase of the new build so I haven't really gamed on it much. I only just loaded Steam last night and installed POE and Skyrim...didn't get a chance to play them for any amount of time.

I have looped Valley and Heaven for several hours though to ascertain my steady-state temps. I never saw anything over 63°C for the CPU.

Thanks y'all I feel better now! Gonna try another heatsink paste called thermal grizzly that is well rated all over the net for hahas!

Curious what the hard numbers are for the temps? My 3900X tends to be between 35c-40c idle* and up to 75c at load. I'm on air and have it undervolted. (Also my ambient temperature is terrible, currently its probably around 30c)

*My computer is never truly idle.

i also got hit in the face with the temps of a 5950x lol but i did shave 7-10c off my temps when i added another rad and got a techn block currently testing still this has been the most frustating cpu i have owed 1 day 1 setup is perfectly stable next day it wants a new setting think im ditching pbo for a ccd overclcok of 4.8/4.6 1.35vcore gaming 50-60s cb23 hits 85-90c.

i also got hit in the face with the temps of a 5950x lol but i did shave 7-10c off my temps when i added another rad and got a techn block currently testing still this has been the most frustating cpu i have owed 1 day 1 setup is perfectly stable next day it wants a new setting think im ditching pbo for a ccd overclcok of 4.8/4.6 1.35vcore gaming 50-60s cb23 hits 85-90c.

Are those temps with PBO or per-CCD OC?

manaul ccd overclock ccd1 4800 ccd2 4600 ccd1 avgs around 88-92 in cb23 where ccd2 avgs around 75 nothing else i run pushes temps that high only if i loop cb23.

manaul ccd overclock ccd1 4800 ccd2 4600 ccd1 avgs around 88-92 in cb23 where ccd2 avgs around 75 nothing else i run pushes temps that high only if i loop cb23.

Gotcha. I'm trying to learn all I can about these chips before I dive in. It doesn't seem like there's a way to set the voltage for each CCD separately on any of the boards, or at least I've never seen anyone mention being able to do that. It seems like most or all of the dual-CCD units have one higher leakage and one lower leakage chiplet. If that's the case, I would want to run them at the same clock, but at different voltages. For yours, I would want to see 4.7 on both, but with something like 1.3-1.32 volts for CCD1 and 1.38-1.4 volts for CCD2. That would maximize thermal headroom.

yea its differnt on 5000 series you cant overclock the 4 sets of cores or set voltages for each ccd like we could on 3000.

yea its differnt on 5000 series you cant overclock the 4 sets of cores or set voltages for each ccd like we could on 3000.
No, but you can use the curve optimizer to apply +/- 30mv to each individual core or you can do it by CCD, or the whole chip. So, it's more flexible, but also more work to tune it when you're looking at 16 cores. Right now, I'm at -5 on all the cores on one ccd and -10 on the other.

Hey, looks like you have an Asus board. Turn off FMAX in the PBO settings if it's on. Also, if you're PBO I'd kick your vcore to auto and see what happens. Also, just a personal recommendation but I'd reset to defaults and do a full power cycle between bios upgrades and especially between hardware upgrades.

Ill post some info from aqua suite logs later today, if I am logging the correct sensors that is… Never mind, logger was still pulling all my liquid sensors that are no longer in place.

1626854440665.png

After a good session for RDR2 (3840x1600)

1626856445670.png

Last edited:
Hey, looks like you have an Asus board. Turn off FMAX in the PBO settings if it's on. Also, if you're PBO I'd kick your vcore to auto and see what happens. Also, just a personal recommendation but I'd reset to defaults and do a full power cycle between bios upgrades and especially between hardware upgrades.
Just googled the Fmax situation. Was not aware of it! I will try that later and see whats up. Also i always reset to defaults after a bios update! :)

Not sure how it is on a 5950X, but this morning I got to spend a lot of time playing around with the 5800X I built a couple of months ago with a 280mm AIO. I hammered it with gaming, rendering, encoding, y-cruncher, wPrime, and a few different versions of Prime 95. I have to say, my initial impression was correct. The best overclock on this chip with this level of cooling is no overclock at all. AMD actually got it right. Like, nailed it. 2536 in Cinebench R15, 661/6552 in CPU-Z, temps never got above 84, even after 30 minutes of Prime 95 30.6. 4.45GHz all-core in every case except Prime 30.6 small FFT, which ran at all-core 4.25. Gaming was rock solid at 4.75-4.85 across the active cores with temps in the 50s and 60s. I don't understand why people spend so much tweaking these chips when the default programming is so damn good. I would focus more on tuning the RAM...

Tried changing fmax auto to disabled. No change same temps and clocks and CB20 score.
CPU Voltage from negative offset to auto higher temps slightly less CB20 score.
Higher negative offset slightly less temp and slightly less CB20 as expected.
Back to the same settings I go! mehhh :)

Not sure how it is on a 5950X, but this morning I got to spend a lot of time playing around with the 5800X I built a couple of months ago with a 280mm AIO. I hammered it with gaming, rendering, encoding, y-cruncher, wPrime, and a few different versions of Prime 95. I have to say, my initial impression was correct. The best overclock on this chip with this level of cooling is no overclock at all. AMD actually got it right. Like, nailed it. 2536 in Cinebench R15, 661/6552 in CPU-Z, temps never got above 84, even after 30 minutes of Prime 95 30.6. 4.45GHz all-core in every case except Prime 30.6 small FFT, which ran at all-core 4.25. Gaming was rock solid at 4.75-4.85 across the active cores with temps in the 50s and 60s. I don't understand why people spend so much tweaking these chips when the default programming is so damn good. I would focus more on tuning the RAM...
Really the only worthwhile changes are PBO curve optimizer and SMT if you don't need 32,24,16 threads. SMT off on my 5900 nets me an extra 100-150Mhz by temp reduction alone as I don't need 24 threads for anything I do. During gaming sessions my average core speed bounces around 4.7 to 4.85Ghz.

With my Noctua NH-D15 I'm at ~65 full load when HEVC 4K CPU encoding for ~13 hours or so - stock except FCLK is at 1800

Last edited:
With my Noctua NH-D15 I'm at ~65 full load when HEVC 4K CPU encoding for ~13 hours or so - stock except FCLK is at 1800

From what I understand, that's the norm for a 5950X if PBO is not enabled. 16 cores doing all-core ~3.8GHz @ ~1 volt makes for a cool-running chip.

I just took a itch to relook at my overclock 4.8/4.6 took 1.34-1.36 volts to be stable but heres something funny im at 4.75/4.675 @1.28 volts and so far its stable looks to be able to go even lower so my chip needs a insane bump for 25mhz lol. New asus bios that just came out yesterday could of helped also not sure i didnt retune the 4800/4600 clock from scratch to see.

Last edited:
I just upgraded from a 3900X to a 5900X and I'm also seeing considerably higher temps.

Running a Cooler Master ML360R with pump on full speed and 6 high-CFM fans in push-pull with an aggressive fan curve (100% fan at 60C or above).
Exact same settings (aside from curve optimizer) on both the 3900X and 5900X, basically PBO enabled, limits set to Motherboard. +200Mhz max boost.

In Cinebench R20:

3900X:
Multi: 7114
Single: 512
Temps: 75-80C

5900X (Curve Optimizer Disabled):
Multi: 8386
Single: 613
Temps: pegged at 90C

5900X w/ Curve Optimizer -25 All Core:
Multi: 8704
Single: 632
Temps: 85-90C

Using the Curve Optimizer certainly helped the score, but only helped ever-so-slightly with the temps. I don't ever remember the 3900X getting over 80C in Cinebench. It's sort of unnerving seeing the 5900X hit 90C. Scores seem mostly in-line with what I was expecting, so I'm not sure there is actually an issue.

I just upgraded from a 3900X to a 5900X and I'm also seeing considerably higher temps.

Running a Cooler Master ML360R with pump on full speed and 6 high-CFM fans in push-pull with an aggressive fan curve (100% fan at 60C or above).
Exact same settings (aside from curve optimizer) on both the 3900X and 5900X, basically PBO enabled, limits set to Motherboard. +200Mhz max boost.

In Cinebench R20:

3900X:
Multi: 7114
Single: 512
Temps: 75-80C

5900X (Curve Optimizer Disabled):
Multi: 8386
Single: 613
Temps: pegged at 90C

5900X w/ Curve Optimizer -25 All Core:
Multi: 8704
Single: 632
Temps: 85-90C

Using the Curve Optimizer certainly helped the score, but only helped ever-so-slightly with the temps. I don't ever remember the 3900X getting over 80C in Cinebench. It's sort of unnerving seeing the 5900X hit 90C. Scores seem mostly in-line with what I was expecting, so I'm not sure there is actually an issue.
I recently got a 3900x and is way hotter than 5950x, if doing any kind of PBO or overclocking. and it idles a lot higher, as well. I re-installed my EK AIO to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Back