3950x Overclocking guide needed!!

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Apparently Im completely stupid when it comes to OC these Zen2 cpus.. Looking for a good guide to get me understanding how to OC this cpu. Looking to see what all core OC i can achieve and then a "i think its called" PBO oc.... Thanks for any input

Afaik, zen 2 over clocks terribly. Like results are often worse than just leaving it on auto. You’d get better gains OCing your ram.

enable auto oc
enable pbo

enable xmp profile

reboot

enjoy

thats literally the no shit guide to oc zen 2

Overclocking has been dead since Netburst

its just a marketing term now

Sure my car does 70mph but I can drive it to 150mph, is that overclocking? No because it's designed from the factory to go to max with built in settings. If I added two turbos and nitrous we can hit 180. That would b2 overclocking. But my engine is maxed by design so ... overclocking today is just a marketing term.

Last edited:
enable auto oc
enable pbo

enable xmp profile

reboot

enjoy

thats literally the no shit guide to oc zen 2

Overclocking has been dead since Netburst

its just a marketing term now

Sure my car does 70mph but I can drive it to 150mph, is that overclocking>?

OCing hasn't been dead that long. Sandy Bridge was pretty damn good. It started going out of favor with Ivy Bridge

Afaik, zen 2 over clocks terribly. Like results are often worse than just leaving it on auto. You’d get better gains OCing your ram.

That is such terribad info.

Generally speaking you really can just leave it on auto and it will hit its targets. However you can oc the shit out of the chip and you will get serious gains. And the way you overclock really depends on the target workload. And all core oc will net gains if you are doing heavy multi threaded workloads over auto.

If gaming is the goal, one can use CCD/CCX ratio overclock to maximize low threaded workloads, ie gaming.

The problem is that users have been trained in the way to oc with Intels and Ryzen is a whole different ballgame.

That is such terribad info.

Generally speaking you really can just leave it on auto and it will hit its targets. However you can oc the shit out of the chip and you will get serious gains. And the way you overclock really depends on the target workload. And all core oc will net gains if you are doing heavy multi threaded workloads over auto.

If gaming is the goal, one can use CCD/CCX ratio overclock to maximize low threaded workloads, ie gaming.

The problem is that users have been trained in the way to oc with Intels and Ryzen is a whole different ballgame.
Gaming is mostly the goal, can you explin to me what you mean by "one can use CCD/CCX ratio overclock to maximize low threaded workloads, ie gaming."
apprecaite your input!

Actually for multi threaded loads you can gain about 10% with an all-core OC, over leaving it on auto while loosing minimal in games.

Apparently Im completely stupid when it comes to OC these Zen2 cpus.. Looking for a good guide to get me understanding how to OC this cpu. Looking to see what all core OC i can achieve and then a "i think its called" PBO oc.... Thanks for any input

just leave it stock in all honesty.. running lower temps will get you better overall results than bothering to manually overclocking.. now if you do lots of things that keep the processor at full load and need the higher all core clocks it's pretty simple to do.. change the multiplier and change voltage.. the more annoying thing you'll run into is voltage walls as you get past 4Ghz.. so lets say 4Ghz at 1.29v works but 4.1 takes 1.4v but then 4.2 takes 1.405v then 4.3 takes 1.45v (these are just examples these are likely not the voltages you'll be running at). if you don't fall under that category leave it stock then because the higher boost clocks are far more useful in lightly threaded applications then the overall lower all core overclock you'll hit.

Gaming is mostly the goal, can you explin to me what you mean by "one can use CCD/CCX ratio overclock to maximize low threaded workloads, ie gaming."
apprecaite your input!

You can OC individual CCX' but honestly, it's not worth the trouble IMO.

really appreciate everyones feedback, thank you. When I get off shift tomorrow am, I have several hours to mess around with this, then back to work for a 48hr shift FML

You can OC individual CCX' but honestly, it's not worth the trouble IMO.

Whether it's worth the trouble is up to the individual, though I agree ya don't "have" to do it.

Here's my oc 4.5/4.4/4.3/4.3 @ 1.32v. One can see the increases along the way from 4.2ghz all core vs my current stepped oc.

Compare it with Goldchain's 4.5ghz all core oc at 1.36v which netted him 8000 and change.

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-voltage-confusion.1988044/

3900xoc.png

tpu-png.png

Last edited:
What you wanna debate semantics now? Shit takes 30 minutes to figure out.

I said it's not worth it "in my opinion"

You chimed in with "its' up to the individual"

wtf do you think IMO means genius?

Furthermore, no one ever said anything about having or not having to OC, so i'm not even sure who you're agreeing with when you say "i agree you don't "have" to do it"

It's like you're reading shit that's not there and not reading shit that is.

where is the asus bios is this option at to oc a specific ccx?

Actually for multi threaded loads you can gain about 10% with an all-core OC, over leaving it on auto while loosing minimal in games.

If your talking about a 3900X and presumably a 3950X, an all core OC will hurt them somewhat in games. The most you are likely to see all core is 4.3GHz if your lucky. That will prevent boosting to 4.6GHz or 4.7GHz on a 3950X. The impact was definitely there when I tested a 3900X like that. You do gain in multi-threaded applications though. That's for sure. However, when weighed against what you lose I concluded that overclocking those CPU's was generally not worth it. Per CCX overclocking can yield the best of both worlds though. It's just a fair amount of trouble.

If your talking about a 3900X and presumably a 3950X, an all core OC will hurt them somewhat in games. The most you are likely to see all core is 4.3GHz if your lucky. That will prevent boosting to 4.6GHz or 4.7GHz on a 3950X. The impact was definitely there when I tested a 3900X like that. You do gain in multi-threaded applications though. That's for sure. However, when weighed against what you lose I concluded that overclocking those CPU's was generally not worth it. Per CCX overclocking can yield the best of both worlds though. It's just a fair amount of trouble.
It depends what are you doing, isn't it? With the ryzen master utility you can easily apply all core overclock before doing work, and go back to default when playing games. Presumably you are not going to render while playing a game that benefits from the extra 2-300mhz single core boost. But I doubt most would even notice the difference in games. I certainly can't on my 3700x. 4200Mhz all core vs stock which should go to 4400. But I do notice 6 minutes in a 60 minute render.

DAN_D... what do you think is my best option for OCing this 3950x? Games being priority? Im just really confused on how I want to OC this CPU. If I leave voltage on auto in the bios of my CH8 Hero, asus applies 1.475v (CRAZY HIGH IMO) but im afraid if I lower that voltage that PBO will not boost to get me higher speeds (if thats the way it works?) So thats why I was wanting to do an all core OC so I can lower the vcore to much better levels with the hopes of a 4.3 / 4.4 all core OC maybe using 1.35v.... Just trying to figure out which is the best way for me to OC this thing. Games will be played, but multi tasking is this PC's main usage.. Going to have time to play with my options shortly as im getting off shift at 8am, so ill have several hours to try stuff out.

Last edited:
wow, my wording on that was terrible as I was asleep while typing that... I was asking what is this option called in the bios? Thank you

It depends on the brand as they all have different menus, but all will show something to the effect of CCD control or Ratio... Asus uses somethhing to the effect of CCD/CCX Ratio or something. I'd have to boot into bios to check but from memory the option is just under CPU Core Ratio.

MSI for ex. you can see in the video they use the wording CCD Control.

A quick primer. After you figure out your idealized all core overclock, most likely somehwere around 4.3ghz-4.4ghz at 1.32v ish. Most 3900x-3950x will fall into this range, give or take .01v.

From here disable PBO if ya haven't already anf go into per CCD ratio. Raise each CCX a step or two, for ex. one at a time. You can move thru this fast. CCX0 raise ratio to 43.5x or 43.75x. Reboot test in R20 then some Prime for 10mins. You're not looking for max stability yet just to find the good vs weaker CCX. Note it. Keep pushing the CCX higher till it crashes etc. Onto next CCX.

Two things you are looking for, your weaker CCX and your strongest CCX. The all core overclock tells us what our weakest CCX can do voltage wise. We want to identify those weaker CCX at the same time maxing your stronger CCX whilst not raising voltage.

The crux here is to maximize our CCX ratios for any given voltage, ie. max those ratios while not throwing more voltage at it to overcome our "weakest" CCX.

In my post detailing my OC, my weakest CCX limit me to 4.35x on two CCX at a voltage of 1.31v. However I have two CCX that will run 4.55x and 4.4x at the limited 1.31v. I also added .01v padding (basically makes it Prime95 capable) so am running 1.32v.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Ultimately, this type of OC nets you two gains. You get higher performance than a static all core overclock due to being able to raise your highest CCX to its max for the allowed voltage. And secondly for gaming your highest CCX ratio is roughly matching or slightly under single/dual core max boost. Now here you can decide to give it more voltage to match absolute max boost if you want.

Last edited:
Whether it's worth the trouble is up to the individual, though I agree ya don't "have" to do it.

Here's my oc 4.5/4.4/4.3/4.3 @ 1.32v. One can see the increases along the way from 4.2ghz all core vs my current stepped oc.

Compare it with Goldchain's 4.5ghz all core oc at 1.36v which netted him 8000 and change.

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-voltage-confusion.1988044/

View attachment 202707
View attachment 202710

scope this out, stock, no manual OC:

upload_2019-11-27_15-48-0.png

Ivy Bridge OCing from 3.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz made a world of a difference on my DAW

Not saying it was dead with Ivy, just that it went a bit downhill with it using the TIM vs Solder. my 3770k was and still is OC'd to 4.4GHz

I cant believe people actually want to overclock a 750 dollar cpu....there already pushed 100% out of the factory already lol

Reactions: erek
like this
I guess given the point about overclocking being somewhat pointless that it makes a fairly strong case for ignoring premium motherboards.

Reactions: Auer
like this
It depends on the brand as they all have different menus, but all will show something to the effect of CCD control or Ratio... Asus uses somethhing to the effect of CCD/CCX Ratio or something. I'd have to boot into bios to check but from memory the option is just under CPU Core Ratio.

MSI for ex. you can see in the video they use the wording CCD Control.

A quick primer. After you figure out your idealized all core overclock, most likely somehwere around 4.3ghz-4.4ghz at 1.32v ish. Most 3900x-3950x will fall into this range, give or take .01v.

From here disable PBO if ya haven't already anf go into per CCD ratio. Raise each CCX a step or two, for ex. one at a time. You can move thru this fast. CCX0 raise ratio to 43.5x or 43.75x. Reboot test in R20 then some Prime for 10mins. You're not looking for max stability yet just to find the good vs weaker CCX. Note it. Keep pushing the CCX higher till it crashes etc. Onto next CCX.

Two things you are looking for, your weaker CCX and your strongest CCX. The all core overclock tells us what our weakest CCX can do voltage wise. We want to identify those weaker CCX at the same time maxing your stronger CCX whilst not raising voltage.

The crux here is to maximize our CCX ratios for any given voltage, ie. max those ratios while not throwing more voltage at it to overcome our "weakest" CCX.

In my post detailing my OC, my weakest CCX limit me to 4.35x on two CCX at a voltage of 1.31v. However I have two CCX that will run 4.55x and 4.4x at the limited 1.31v. I also added .01v padding (basically makes it Prime95 capable) so am running 1.32v.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Ultimately, this type of OC nets you two gains. You get higher performance than a static all core overclock due to being able to raise your highest CCX to its max for the allowed voltage. And secondly for gaming your highest CCX ratio is roughly matching or slightly under single/dual core max boost. Now here you can decide to give it more voltage to match absolute max boost if you want.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me and I will certainly try exactly what you are telling me. Spent all afternoon trying to dial in a "All Core OC" on my 3950x using this CH8 Hero. So far using 1.3125v / 1.1SOC and a 43.25Multi, she is stable in Aida64 and both Cinbenches BACK TO BACK. Ram I got to 3733 using Dram Calculator 16/19/19/36 1.4v and this is 64GB (4 16gb dimms) of DJR Mem. I would consider my watercooling loop for this CPU very highend (60mm EK 420mm rad in push pull, D5 pump, all copper heatkiller IV Pro Waterblock, etc..) and temps in a 22c room are 91c. I cant go any lower on vcore, or shes becomes unstable. I have done multi remounts and temps are all the same. she idles in the high 20c's. So how does a 3950x @ 4.35ghz and 64gb's of 3733Ram Sound??

I will try your OC method above "thesmokingman" when I get back home from my 48hr shift that I start tomorrow. Only had a few hours today to toy with this. Greatly appreciate you

erek Can you tell me the stock and peak temps you're getting, you're cooling setup and RAM speed/timings? I want to compare to what I have as i'm hitting about 150 points lower in Cinebench right now. I also have Crosshair VIII w/latest AGESA 1.0.0.4b BIOS.

I have:

Stock temps hovering around 41C which I think is high on Corsair H115i Platinum
Peak on few test runs hits around 64C which is great..but that's not a real test. Need to run some Prime or Aida64 to see where it gets too peak.
64GB Running @ 3466 CL16 (rated speeds for this kit) in D.O.C.P

erek Can you tell me the stock and peak temps you're getting, you're cooling setup and RAM speed/timings? I want to compare to what I have as i'm hitting about 150 points lower in Cinebench right now. I also have Crosshair VIII w/latest AGESA 1.0.0.4b BIOS.

I have:

Stock temps hovering around 41C which I think is high on Corsair H115i Platinum
Peak on few test runs hits around 64C which is great..but that's not a real test. Need to run some Prime or Aida64 to see where it gets too peak.
64GB Running @ 3466 CL16 (rated speeds for this kit) in D.O.C.P

Corsair H115i Platinum

DOCP Profile #1 on 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Neo Z DDR4-3600 16-19-19-39

upload_2019-11-27_19-57-47.png

How'd you get yours running so cool?

How'd you get yours running so cool?

What readings are you getting in Ryzen Master? What Thermal Paste did you use...the stock already on the AIO? I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I also have my Pump profile set to Extreme in iCUE. You are running better RAM speed which would explain the discrepancy in the Cinebench scores.

What readings are you getting in Ryzen Master? What Thermal Paste did you use...the stock already on the AIO? I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I also have my Pump profile set to Extreme in iCUE. You are running better RAM speed which would explain the discrepancy in the Cinebench scores.

I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but i don't have the Corsair LINK USB connected or the software installed to set the Pump profile currently

how'd you get Ryzen Master to run? mine won't boot

See: https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-master-on-3950x.1989319/

Just downloaded and installed the latest after I installed the chipset drivers. Runs fine.

soooo, using 1.3125vcore my all core loaded stress test temp is nearing 95c and im on highend water using 60mm EK 420mm ran in push pull, heatkiller pro IV copper block, d5 pump... ALso, keep in mind ive done several remounts and temps are the same. are these temps normal for a many core cpu? anything i can mess with in bios to help here? SOC is at 1.1v if oyu need to know. also, in the bios of CH8 hero, there is a option on where to read temp, and it set to die sense i think... these temps normal?

Just downloaded and installed the latest after I installed the chipset drivers. Runs fine.

i reinstalled the chipset drivers and it works now, but i don't know what i'm looking at yet:

upload_2019-11-27_20-59-52.png

soooo, using 1.3125vcore my all core loaded stress test temp is nearing 95c and im on highend water using 60mm EK 420mm ran in push pull, heatkiller pro IV copper block, d5 pump... ALso, keep in mind ive done several remounts and temps are the same. are these temps normal for a many core cpu? anything i can mess with in bios to help here? SOC is at 1.1v if oyu need to know. also, in the bios of CH8 hero, there is a option on where to read temp, and it set to die sense i think... these temps normal?

That's really hot dude and not normal for a full loop. My 3900x doesn't go pass 80c in P95 for example. Will prob be lower since its so freaking cold this winter.

like this
Don't worry about them stars. It's about scheduling threads not what we think is best. CCX0 will always be best core though iirc.

so what do i do then? I got my Power Plan set to AMD Ryzen High Performance, do i just leave Ryzen Master running in the background or something? i don't really want to OC this chip

so what do i do then? I got my Power Plan set to AMD Ryzen High Performance, do i just leave Ryzen Master running in the background or something? i don't really want to OC this chip

RM is for when you want to apply a software oc on the fly. For ex. you can create multiple profiles and apply them from the desktop instead from bios. If yer not oc'ing then just close RM, no need to have it running at all.

like this
Back