3950x build, help me decide between these boards WITH POLL!!

Which Motherboard to choose!

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Other........ Please specify below!

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Need assistance choosing between these 2 boards. Looking to have a strong VRM and durability. Will be OC'd as far as I can go with 4x8gb sticks of probably gskill neo's @ 3600 CL14's.... If you choose "Other" please write in what would be another good choice, but NOT MSI PLEASE!!

Thank you

I’m actually torn between these exact two boards myself for my 3950X build. :mad:

i chose the asus for the always easy to use UEFI.. It is my understanding the VRM's on both boards are very good so might come down to personal preference

I went with the Asus Crosshair Hero. I had the CH7 and it was a great board with an easy to use bios and regular bios updates. I figured stick with what I know. So far, I have not been disappointed.

I went Aorus on Threadripper way back and that experience was horrific. I then went MSI on x299 and the Carbon Pro was riddled with bugs. By this time I was really missing the look and feel of an Asus bios so I was dead set on Asus this time around. I saw that the Strix E vrms are essentially the same as the top two ROG boards so I went that direction. If MC had carried the CH Hero, I'd have jumped on that but they didn't. Thus Strix E was the only reasonable Asus choice and it has been faultless for me.

thanks for all the feedback... now that i pretty much figured out which board ill be going with, now I have to make the decision of go with this ryzen 3950x or go with Intels new HEDT many core cpus and a x299 setup... Im really thinking for gaming the ryzen will have the better ipc and performance... god i cant wait for the reviews to pop

thanks for all the feedback... now that i pretty much figured out which board ill be going with, now I have to make the decision of go with this ryzen 3950x or go with Intels new HEDT many core cpus and a x299 setup... Im really thinking for gaming the ryzen will have the better ipc and performance... god i cant wait for the reviews to pop

I would be wary of going x299 at this point. The platform has no where to go and the chips are kind of meh. Intel's lose multicore IPC as their core count climbs vs AMD whose multicore IPC just keeps going and going with more cores. That said imo, the 3900x is the sweet spot between gaming and production work. The 3950x brings only 4 more cores for 50% more cost. It breaks down as $42 per core for 3900x and $46 per core for 3950x. Though given its cost it is a deal versus Intel's 18 core chips. Preliminary results show Intels HEDT getting somewhat of a shellacking. Though if budget is not as much of a concern, I'd go 3950x over HEDT anyday. The 3950x has Intel seriously concerned for a reason!

I would be wary of going x299 at this point. The platform has no where to go and the chips are kind of meh. Intel's lose multicore IPC as their core count climbs vs AMD whose multicore IPC just keeps going and going with more cores. That said imo, the 3900x is the sweet spot between gaming and production work. The 3950x brings only 4 more cores for 50% more cost. It breaks down as $42 per core for 3900x and $46 per core for 3950x. Though given its cost it is a deal versus Intel's 18 core chips. Preliminary results show Intels HEDT getting somewhat of a shellacking. Though if budget is not as much of a concern, I'd go 3950x over HEDT anyday. The 3950x has Intel seriously concerned for a reason!
appreciate that reply, thank you... I will go x570 then 100%. Gonna place my motherboard order now.

For high Hz gaming a 9900KF murders AMD in minimums aka where it matters. A properly OC’d and setup Intel HEDT should pull ahead as well.

AMD has very good value especially for HEDT.

Need assistance choosing between these 2 boards. Looking to have a strong VRM and durability. Will be OC'd as far as I can go with 4x8gb sticks of probably gskill neo's @ 3600 CL14's.... If you choose "Other" please write in what would be another good choice, but NOT MSI PLEASE!!

Thank you
What is your budget?

You can pickup a well rated X570-P Asus Prime board for 136 bucks (if you want no frills and are on a budget). I just did
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SW925DR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For high Hz gaming a 9900KF murders AMD in minimums aka where it matters. A properly OC’d and setup Intel HEDT should pull ahead as well.

AMD has very good value especially for HEDT.

Yea totally right? Intel HEDT is so damn good that's why Intel slashed pricing on it? It's so damn great! Great products get slashed in half on pricing, its the law of supply and demand?

Minimum frame rates should be looked at with care. A 99th percentile shows that things are closer than they may appear at first glance. I'd suggest barely perceptible if at all.
https://techreport.com/review/31546/where-minimum-fps-figures-mislead-frame-time-analysis-shines/

If you look at OC vs OC Intel has a significant advantage. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-9.html

Yea totally right? Intel HEDT is so damn good that's why Intel slashed pricing on it? It's so damn great! Great products get slashed in half on pricing, its the law of supply and demand?

Intel apparently thinks so since they are still charging more than AMD per core.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Intel HEDT based on X299 lacks cores (maxing at 18) or speed and ECC to be on par with top level Ryzen line. 3950X will beat 10980XE. You need equivalent Xeon to use ECC which is announced at $1300 with C422 board at $500 at best. Intel needs to slash the prices more. maybe AMD will let them live by overpricing their new TR3 family just like Intel preserved AMD for years, from too harsh competition.
Gentlemen agreement : we won't kill each other and only take the benefits of our leadership.

Actually if you think that the 3950X is too expensive you can chose a compatible $50 A320 board. Don't think this won't fit and be donwgrading the performance as long as you don't overclock. And it has been proved that the Zen 2 series don't bring much with overclocking.

I have the Aorus Master. I think it's a good board (as is the ITX Wifi Pro that I also have going to my son), but looking at specs, I would choose the Asus over it if only for the extra power phases for that CPU.

Those of you with Gigabyte x570 boards, how are the voltage settings in the bios? I bought a Gigabyte b450 board for a side build and it lacks normal vcore adjustment on the CPU and only allows dynamic vcore adjustment which I find a little annoying since it makes comparisons more difficult.

I would go for ASUS, for better BIOS atleast. I have Aorus B450 and boy the bios sucks. So much confusion.

Aorus Master any day of the week. True 14 phase power, no doublers, no stupid ass ROG taxes

Oh look at me ... I am a member of the republic of gamers ... here this big ass sticker shows that I cucked away an extra $75.00 to have a ROG logo

Aorus Master any day of the week. True 14 phase power, no doublers, no stupid ass ROG taxes

Oh look at me ... I am a member of the republic of gamers ... here this big ass sticker shows that I cucked away an extra $75.00 to have a ROG logo
All fun aside, the only real reason to pick Asus would probably be the bios. That’s a good reason as I very much like it on my RIVE

I went Aorus on Threadripper way back and that experience was horrific. I then went MSI on x299 and the Carbon Pro was riddled with bugs. By this time I was really missing the look and feel of an Asus bios so I was dead set on Asus this time around. I saw that the Strix E vrms are essentially the same as the top two ROG boards so I went that direction. If MC had carried the CH Hero, I'd have jumped on that but they didn't. Thus Strix E was the only reasonable Asus choice and it has been faultless for me.

thankfully gigabyte actually decided that maybe they should give a shit about x570 probably because they knew they won't be making money any time soon on the intel side.. i remember the horror stories from x370 but thankfully none of those issues have happened with x570.

Those of you with Gigabyte x570 boards, how are the voltage settings in the bios? I bought a Gigabyte b450 board for a side build and it lacks normal vcore adjustment on the CPU and only allows dynamic vcore adjustment which I find a little annoying since it makes comparisons more difficult.

on x570 there's 3 different ways to change voltage. there's a offset voltage so that boost function still works, there's a hard voltage setting and then you can bypass that and use AMD's controls built into the bios to change voltage. but personally i've just left everything on default since an extra 100mhz all core not really worth it for me on my 3600 since it runs 4.2Ghz boost all core anyways.

Back