390X coming soon few weeks

400 watts = 16 cents a day @ 5 hours of usage = $58 a year ( my power is 0.08/kwh )
200 watts = 8 cents a day @ 5 hours of usage = $29 a year

Wow your power is dirt cheap. Is that the fully loaded rate with generation transmission and all fees and taxes? Mine is almost 3 times as much :p

We are talking about $500 enthusiast level cards here, usually overclocked. The cost savings per year is literally meaningless, especially since most people are not gaming 5 hours a day every single day.

Exactly this. People have jobs, families other responsibilities. 5 hours a day of gaming is really a useage scenario for a very very small minority of buyers.

Yeh i was just giving an example... But you get the point... Anyway a low TDP card which is low in gaming / videos / multiscreen is just better and if you use PC a lot then it does make a significant difference to to total price of the card if you keep it 3 years for example. Also your electricity is incredibly cheap.. In the UK it is about 18p per KW/H + standing charges etc.

mine is $0.19 including generation and delivery, one of the more expensinve areas in the US.

Zarathustra[H];1041604470 said:
Wow your power is dirt cheap. Is that the fully loaded rate with generation transmission and all fees and taxes? Mine is almost 3 times as much :p

I have some delivery in there. I used 813 kw/h last month and my bill was 91.74, so ~0.11 per kw/h with taxes, delivery, fees, etc. My price drops a few cents if I use over 1000 kw/h. Summer usage is ~2000 kw/h.

I check offer codes for new service specials every year when my contract is up, call and say I got an offer in the mail for renew using X offer and I get the intro price over and over.

Yeh i was just giving an example... But you get the point... Anyway a low TDP card which is low in gaming / videos / multiscreen is just better and if you use PC a lot then it does make a significant difference to to total price of the card if you keep it 3 years for example. Also your electricity is incredibly cheap.. In the UK it is about 18p per KW/H + standing charges etc.

Yeah this happens a lot in the south in the U.S. Electricity rates are kept ridiculously low through a combination of lax regulation and low environmental standards resulting in massive coal use and hydraulic fracturing to unsafely pull up previously unreachable natural gas. In some cases there are even subsidies through tax exemptions and credits, (which is amusing on its own, because the right leaning south tends to be opposed to this sort of thing) because if rates went up there would be an absolute revolt, and doing anything to be seen as raising those rates could be political suicide.

All of this is because of air conditioning. It's no coincidence that the rebirth and rise in population of the south happened at the same time as the availability of reasonably cheap air conditioning in the 70's. Before then you'd have to be crazy to live down there :p

Central air conditioning running on full blast 24/7 is the norm in many places, and even at these silly stupid low prices of 8c/kWh many people pay so much for their electrical bill due to AC that nothing else is even really noticeable in the bill.

Just like overuse of water leading to drought in California, by people living in places that are mostly inhospitable to human beings and instead over-using resources, we are doing the same with electricity and air conditioning in the south. :p

And because of this we as a nation are hooked on coal. Cheap, dirty, carcinogenic disgusting coal.

elec-generation-2012.jpg

...and those with a vested interest in the coal industry are even running propaganda ads on TV here speaking to the benefits of "clean coal" which is a hilarious complete oxymoron, at the same time as they are dodging complaints about safety violations in their mines, refusing to pay fines and manipulating the political process to sweep it under the rug.

Welcome to America, land of the free :p

I have some delivery in there. I used 813 kw/h last month and my bill was 91.74, so ~0.11 per kw/h with taxes, delivery, fees, etc. My price drops a few cents if I use over 1000 kw/h. Summer usage is ~2000 kw/h.

That is pretty hilarious. They are incentivizing you to use MORE power not less :p

Here the first 750kWh per month are at the base rate, and every kWh above that gets you charged at the high use penalty rate, which is higher (though not significantly so).

It's funny how some things are very different between the north and south.

For instance, I don't know a single person up here with central air. Never seen it in any non-office building. We do get sticky humid summers in the 90's (and sometimes into the 100's) but people use window units when it gets bad, and otherwise just deal with it :p

On the other hand, we need to burn a lot of fuel to heat things up in the winter. For a ~2,100 sq ft single family home this winter, my average gas bill was between $250 and $300, and we have pretty decent insulation. It was a cold one this year.

Could be worse, you could be a coal miner in brazil.

lol

I haven't been to a Brazilian coal mine, and while common wizdom would suggest we have a better safety record here than in Brazil, the U.S. safety record is not as good as many think.

It is a system full of corruption, where lobbyists paid for by the coal industry have convinced politicians to cut money for the agency tasked with enforcing coal mine safety regulations.

Many mines have millions of dollars in delinquent safety fines they simply never pay. The issue comes up every time we have a coal mine accident that reaches the national news, and everyone talks about how broken the system, is and how it needs to get fixed...

...and then the coal industry special lobbying money makes sure that nothing changes, and that the conversation disappears again.

Zarathustra[H];1041604257 said:
Why?

I'd MUCH rather have a single 300W GPU than two 250W GPU's pulling a total of 500W :p

heck, I'd take a single 400W GPU over two 250W GPU's.

It's the total that matters. Nothing else.

Im not planning on getting one flagship card, I am planning one 2 either way. And GTX 980s do not pull 250W unless heavily OC'd, as compared to stock AMD cards which pull 300W non OC'd.

Zarathustra[H];1041604517 said:
Yeah this happens a lot in the south in the U.S. Electricity rates are kept ridiculously low through a combination of lax regulation and low environmental standards resulting in massive coal use and hydraulic fracturing to unsafely pull up previously unreachable natural gas. In some cases there are even subsidies through tax exemptions and credits, (which is amusing on its own, because the right leaning south tends to be opposed to this sort of thing) because if rates went up there would be an absolute revolt, and doing anything to be seen as raising those rates could be political suicide.

All of this is because of air conditioning. It's no coincidence that the rebirth and rise in population of the south happened at the same time as the availability of reasonably cheap air conditioning in the 70's. Before then you'd have to be crazy to live down there :p

Central air conditioning running on full blast 24/7 is the norm in many places, and even at these silly stupid low prices of 8c/kWh many people pay so much for their electrical bill due to AC that nothing else is even really noticeable in the bill.

Just like overuse of water leading to drought in California, by people living in places that are mostly inhospitable to human beings and instead over-using resources, we are doing the same with electricity and air conditioning in the south. :p

And because of this we as a nation are hooked on coal. Cheap, dirty, carcinogenic disgusting coal.

elec-generation-2012.jpg

...and those with a vested interest in the coal industry are even running propaganda ads on TV here speaking to the benefits of "clean coal" which is a hilarious complete oxymoron, at the same time as they are dodging complaints about safety violations in their mines, refusing to pay fines and manipulating the political process to sweep it under the rug.

Welcome to America, land of the free :p

There is SOOO much disinformation contained here that it's not worth trying to change. (And, it touches on politics and its linked brethren, which would be silly/pointless to discuss.) But, in brief, there is NO free market in power generation. If there were, perhaps there would be some significantly lower prices. Every utility is a government regulated entity. Therefore politics intrude into power. (You can agree or disagree whether or not it's appropriate for politicians to control this industry, but that's not the issue.)

OT: I don't care how much power my video card uses.

Im not planning on getting one flagship card, I am planning one 2 either way. And GTX 980s do not pull 250W unless heavily OC'd, as compared to stock AMD cards which pull 300W non OC'd.

Ahh, I'm the absolute opposite. I avoid touching SLI/CF unless I ABSOLUTELY have to.

I will pay double to get the same performance in a single GPU if I have to, because I have experienced the nightmare that is SLI/CF profile compatibility, bugginess, stuttering and extended minimum framerates which make the gaming experience much worse than one would expect by the average frame rate, not to mention the input lag from AFR due to the longer rendering times of the frames resulting in a longer delay from mouse movement to screen. (this wouldn't be as bad if more titles had SFR support)

I simply avoid multi-gpu setups (whether on one card or on multiple cards) like the plague. That's how I wound up with my original Titan in 2013.

At that point in time it was just barely fast enough for 2560x1600 for the games I was playing, but now it's starting to feel a little slow, and I could use an upgrade.

I buy what I feel I need to buy in order to get decent framerates, but I would only ever consider SLI/CF if there were no single GPU card fast enough to give me a reasonable framerate at my resolution.

Zarathustra[H];1041604522 said:
That is pretty hilarious. They are incentivizing you to use MORE power not less :p

Here the first 750kWh per month are at the base rate, and every kWh above that gets you charged at the high use penalty rate, which is higher (though not significantly so).

It's funny how some things are very different between the north and south.

For instance, I don't know a single person up here with central air. Never seen it in any non-office building. We do get sticky humid summers in the 90's (and sometimes into the 100's) but people use window units when it gets bad, and otherwise just deal with it :p

On the other hand, we need to burn a lot of fuel to heat things up in the winter. For a ~2,100 sq ft single family home this winter, my average gas bill was between $250 and $300, and we have pretty decent insulation. It was a cold one this year.

There are plans like that here also. I specifically chose a plan to mitigate my summer bill as much as possible. I pay 7.5 for 0 to 1000, 4.5 for 1000 to 2000 and 7.5 for over 2000.

Just saying that in the UK if you used a card 5 hours a day for gaming and it was 200w more it that would cost you £50 a year.. So not really "literally a couple bucks"

Sure, but the caveat is that you have to have such a power differential for 5 hours, every single day out of the entire year to end up paying that much more in power. I dunno about you, but if someone consistently games 5 hours PER DAY for the entire year they have bigger problems to worry about. (is that even possible if you have a family with a full time job?)

P.S. I crunched the numbers and in your hypothetical situation the cost of electricity turns out to be £0.137 per kWh.

There is SOOO much disinformation contained here that it's not worth trying to change. (And, it touches on politics and its linked brethren, which would be silly/pointless to discuss.) But, in brief, there is NO free market in power generation. If there were, perhaps there would be some significantly lower prices. Every utility is a government regulated entity. Therefore politics intrude into power. (You can agree or disagree whether or not it's appropriate for politicians to control this industry, but that's not the issue.)

OT: I don't care how much power my video card uses.

Right on, that post was horribly inaccurate. There's a direct correlation between cheap energy and prosperity. All these people complain about how many deaths are contributed to coal and fossil fuels. I contend there are far less deaths here than from being obese (diabetes) and from all those that die due to smoking.

More proof these Green People Lack knowledge in science in general and are so passionate without facts.

Case in point this solar road for Bikes generated 3,000 kilowatt hours in 6 months.This sounds like a lot but lets break it down. My power costs run about $0.10 a kilowatt hour outside of Chicago. So they literally made $300 in 6 months from this bike path. So then you must ask yourself how much did this bike path cost. They spent 4 million dollars to create this bike path. That means this bike path would take over $6500 years to pay for itself, wow talk about return on investment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/solaroad-generates-more-power-than-expected-1.3069371

Sure, but the caveat is that you have to have such a power differential for 5 hours, every single day out of the entire year to end up paying that much more in power. I dunno about you, but if someone consistently games 5 hours PER DAY for the entire year they have bigger problems to worry about. (is that even possible if you have a family with a full time job?)

P.S. I crunched the numbers and in your hypothetical situation the cost of electricity turns out to be £0.137 per kWh.

Any cost difference between your computations can be accounted for by the price of that fancy "L" for Pound. I can't afford to buy a keyboard with one of those. ;)

Any cost difference between your computations can be accounted for by the price of that fancy "L" for Pound. I can't afford to buy a keyboard with one of those. ;)

No need, alt+156 is the same. :p £££ (I only know this because I handled support for UK customers. :p)

I like my keyboard to have it written out e.g. £ibras which is even more expensive. I also demand shilling (/-) and guinea (gn) symbols on my keyboards for when the occasion arises. I also expect the keyboard's documentation to describe my pound sign as a "hash" :)

Just saying that in the UK if you used a card 5 hours a day for gaming and it was 200w more it that would cost you £50 a year.. So not really "literally a couple bucks"

I'm in Canada. Half the year I want the extra heat, I only run AC for like 2-3 months a year.

I pay 9.09 cents per KW/h (http://www.fortisbc.com/About/RegulatoryAffairs/ElecUtility/Rates/Pages/default.aspx). 200w/h would be 1.8 cents per hour of gaming.

I game about 10 hours a week. That costs me 18.18 cents per week. Over an entire year that is $9.45. Over 3 years that would be $28.36.

It's silly for me to care about 1.8cents per hour of gaming that I would pay extra comparing a 290X to a 980.

But wait... when I look at the most recent Hardocp article about these cards here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/03/30/powercolor_pcs_r9_290x_video_card_review/10#.VVYa7_lViko

There is only a 36W difference between a 290X and a 980 at stock speeds or 90W when the 290X is overclocked to approach 980 performance levels. Maybe your 200W was from old data... maybe it was just something pulled out of thin air. Let's round that up to 100W to make my Math really easy, so that is actually only .9 cents per hour for what I pay for power.

That's about the cost of a starbucks coffee per year ($4.23). Going by the links to the current newegg prices in that article it's $290 for the Radeon 290X after rebate and $550 for the 980. That's a difference of about $260.

Even if I gamed as a full time job (40 hours per week) it would only cost me less than $15 per year under the worst case scenario of only counting the extra watts to overclock the 290X while the 980 is at stock speeds.

If you leave the 290X at stock speeds the only difference in power consumption is 36W over the 980. That is a whopping .3 cents per hour of full load use. Now you know why I couldn't care less about what might cost me $1.56 for the entire year at stock speeds gaming 10 hours a week as I do. Not even worth factoring into the $260 price difference to purchase the cards right now.

From my perspective and after taking the time to do the math this whole argument is a joke.

I'm in Canada. Half the year I want the extra heat, I only run AC for like 2-3 months a year.

I pay 9.09 cents per KW/h (http://www.fortisbc.com/About/RegulatoryAffairs/ElecUtility/Rates/Pages/default.aspx). 200w/h would be 1.8 cents per hour of gaming.

I game about 10 hours a week. That costs me 18.18 cents per week. Over an entire year that is $9.45. Over 3 years that would be $28.36.

It's silly for me to care about 1.8cents per hour of gaming that I would pay extra comparing a 290X to a 980.

But wait... when I look at the most recent Hardocp article about these cards here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/03/30/powercolor_pcs_r9_290x_video_card_review/10#.VVYa7_lViko

There is only a 36W difference between a 290X and a 980 at stock speeds or 90W when the 290X is overclocked to approach 980 performance levels. Maybe your 200W was from old data... maybe it was just something pulled out of thin air. Let's round that up to 100W to make my Math really easy, so that is actually only .9 cents per hour for what I pay for power.

That's about the cost of a starbucks coffee per year ($4.23). Going by the links to the current newegg prices in that article it's $290 for the Radeon 290X after rebate and $550 for the 980. That's a difference of about $260.

Even if I gamed as a full time job (40 hours per week) it would only cost me less than $15 per year under the worst case scenario of only counting the extra watts to overclock the 290X while the 980 is at stock speeds.

If you leave the 290X at stock speeds the only difference in power consumption is 36W over the 980. That is a whopping .3 cents per hour of full load use. Now you know why I couldn't care less about what might cost me $1.56 for the entire year at stock speeds gaming 10 hours a week as I do. Not even worth factoring into the $260 price difference to purchase the cards right now.

From my perspective and after taking the time to do the math this whole argument is a joke.

Yeh if you only game 10 hours a week then who cares... If you use it a lot though it is different... I sometimes game 0 hours a week and sometimes 30 hours in a week, I also watch videos etc. on my PC so power consumption is quite important for me... On average though I probably only game 10-15 hours a week so you have a point actually... I am starting to come round to the idea that high TDP is not that bad, because realistically I do not game 5 hours a day most of the time! And the idle power consumption is low on AMD and Nvidia... But also video power consumption NEEDS to be sorted compared to the 980 the 290x is very bad indeed... No idea why it is quite as bad as it is!

For example if the 390x runs at 100w more than a titan X, and you game 15 hours a week on average... at 18p KW/H that is actually less than £20 a year. If they reduce the VIDEO power consumption it would not be as much of a problem... the 290x is about 80w for blu ray whereas the 980 is less than 15w!

Here is the link to 980 vs 290x OC

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...ix_platinum_video_card_review/11#.VVYmg5PReIg

Last edited:
Yeh if you only game 10 hours a week then who cares... If you use it a lot though it is different... I sometimes game 0 hours a week and sometimes 30 hours in a week, I also watch videos etc. on my PC so power consumption is quite important for me... On average though I probably only game 10-15 hours a week so you have a point actually... I am starting to come round to the idea that high TDP is not that bad, because realistically I do not game 5 hours a day most of the time! And the idle power consumption is low on AMD and Nvidia... But also video power consumption NEEDS to be sorted compared to the 980 the 290x is very bad indeed... No idea why it is quite as bad as it is!

For example if the 390x runs at 100w more than a titan X, and you game 15 hours a week on average... at 18p KW/H that is actually less than £20 a year. If they reduce the VIDEO power consumption it would not be as much of a problem... the 290x is about 80w for blu ray whereas the 980 is less than 15w!

Here is the link to 980 vs 290x OC

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...ix_platinum_video_card_review/11#.VVYmg5PReIg

Ya at stock speeds with the powercolor 290X in the article I quoted even going to 40 hours a week is seriously only $6.24 at my hydro rate for a whole year.

I did notice the Asus ROG 290X in the article you linked uses quite a bit more power than the powercolor I linked (About 90W more). I think under very specific circumstances of high levels of full load use plus if you get charged a lot for power consumption you may want to pay more attention to the card. But for someone that wants to save the upfront cost and is concerned with power usage over time the powercolor is close enough to the 980's linked in those articles (20-36W) that just being careful which 290X you go with should be viable in any reasonable scenario.

I like my keyboard to have it written out e.g. £ibras which is even more expensive. I also demand shilling (/-) and guinea (gn) symbols on my keyboards for when the occasion arises. I also expect the keyboard's documentation to describe my pound sign as a "hash" :)

You probably paid more for that keyboard than a Canadian pays for a coal-fueled bike path! Personally, I prefer my cheap keyboard which forces me to type "Quid", because when I type it, I hear it in my head with an upper-crust Etonian accent. Bowler-hatted, that. ;)

Was there a topic here, once? :)

I think we were supposed to be discussing an upcoming graphics card from a certain company or some other nonsense like that.

I think we were supposed to be discussing an upcoming graphics card from a certain company or some other nonsense like that.

If you have any new information, feel free to share so we can disuss!

Otherwise I feel like we have kind of beaten this dead horse enough based off of 3 month old rumors that may or may not be true :p

Oh it was meant to be a lighthearted response to c3k's rhetorical question, not intended to be rude or sarcastic.

why don't people get a real job so they can stop complaining about 1$ rise in power bill?
you don't have to be poor if you don't choose to.

why don't people get a real job so they can stop complaining about 1$ rise in power bill?
you don't have to be poor if you don't choose to.

Well, that's an overly simplistic world view if I've ever seen one, especially in a country that has the worst social mobility in the industrialized world.

The whole "only in america" pulling yourself up by your boot straps and becoming successful thing is a myth. It is much MORE difficult in the U.S. than just about anywhere else in the modern world.

When you are working three jobs just stay afloat, you dpon't exactly have time for night classes, let alone the money to pay for them.

why?

you cant live in your mothers basement forever....

You are right. You can't. But you also can't just wave a magic wand and make the financial collapse go away. There's a half a decade worth of college graduates who have been completely bypassed because they graduated when there were NO JOBS AT ALL for people without experience, and now that those jobs are opening up, they are being given to recent college grads, not ones that have been trying to make ends meet for a few years.

Some people have been fortunate to not wind up in that trap, but don't flatter yourself into thinking it's because you are better, smarter or harder working. Most of it is just pure dumb luck.

I was lucky to graduate when I did. I graduated in 2003. It didn't feel lucky at the time. We had a mini economic downturn then, but nothing like what we had more recently. I was at the top of my class in my engineering school, had relevant experience from internships and was in a great position. Still took me 10 months to find my first job. I almost joined the coast guard just to have work. In the grand scheme it worked out relatively well for me. Had I graduated in 2008 that would likely have been VERY different.

Also, it is horribly uncouth to brag about your financial abilities, either directly, or through insulting comments like the ones above. I hope you guys are ashamed.

Oh, and just because you have money doesn't mean that it is right to waste it on power (or on anything else for that matter). Ever dollar you don't waste on something you can either save for retirement, invest or put towards buying a house.

why?

you cant live in your mothers basement forever....

I don't... I have my own house... It is a moron response because if you are buying a 390x you are not going to be poor anyway and why would you not want a lower TDP.. lower = better. Anyway I am actually bored of reading how much I am talking about TDP so I will stop now.

Zarathustra[H];1041605321 said:
The whole "only in america" pulling yourself up by your boot straps and becoming successful thing is a myth. It is much MORE difficult in the U.S. than just about anywhere else in the modern world.

I vowed not to get sucked into politics but I have to break my vow to ask for your top 10 list of other countries more upwardly mobile. No, countries with populations under the size of America's large cities do not count, 100 million inhabitants MINIMUM.

The reality is its very easy to rise above poverty to obscure mediocrity in the US.

Our obscure mediocrity is other counntry's Rich and Famous

Thats the American Dream

lol

Back