390X coming soon few weeks

As for GTX 480, it was a very good card, power/heat notwithstanding. I had three of them running in tri-SLI at one point. Once I put them underwater, they were incredible and the multi-GPU experience at the time was worlds better than my same rig with 5870s.

Eh it wasn't - I had GTX 470 back then but that was only because it was cheaper than AMD 5830 - I had to put it in Raven 2 case to get managable thermals and fan noise

Won't happen until AMD launches their card, or right before it, there is 0 reason for NV to release anything between the 980 and Titan X

Pretty sure people said the same thing about the Titan X. Generally companies don't stockpile inventory on purpose, it's terrible for your cash flow and increases risk.

Pretty sure people said the same thing about the Titan X. Generally companies don't stockpile inventory on purpose, it's terrible for your cash flow and increases risk.
The Titan X is literally twice the price of the 980, it extended Nvidia's pricing range.
These new cards wouldn't do that. Instead of buying a Titan X for $1,000, people will be buying 980 Ti/Metal for $600-$900.

So yeah, bad idea.
If they launch these cards before fiji it's strictly e-peen stroking.

Won't happen until AMD launches their card, or right before it, there is 0 reason for NV to release anything between the 980 and Titan X

There are plenty of reasons to launch a 980ti before Fiji cards. Biggest is take even more marketshare away from AMD. People are itching to upgrade and find the Titan is too expensive so the 980ti could be far more palatable to pocketbooks. If it give's 85-90% of the Titan X's performance for 70-75% of the price its worth it. Even at 6GB.

Another reason is to completely and totally steal AMD's thunder at Computex. AMD might be able to launch at Computex but doesn't mean the cards will be out. If NV's cards are close in performance to the 390/390x, NV could easily say, ours are already available and in stores.

AMD completely screwed up not showing or announcing the 390/390x at GDC. AMD partners/devs were hinting something big was going to happen at GDC yet nothing did. Along walks in NV with Titan X and made AMD look foolish. Same thing will happen at Computex. AMD might announce the 390x but if NV already has cards in the wild with custom PCB versions being built it again makes AMD look foolish in their timing.

The 390/390X will have to decimate NV in price and performance to be worth the wait and get marketshare back. I hope it does since I would like to see NV on their toes but something gives me the feeling Fiji will just be similar to NV's current performance.

There are plenty of reasons to launch a 980ti before Fiji cards. Biggest is take even more marketshare away from AMD. People are itching to upgrade and find the Titan is too expensive so the 980ti could be far more palatable to pocketbooks. If it give's 85-90% of the Titan X's performance for 70-75% of the price its worth it. Even at 6GB.

Another reason is to completely and totally steal AMD's thunder at Computex. AMD might be able to launch at Computex but doesn't mean the cards will be out. If NV's cards are close in performance to the 390/390x, NV could easily say, ours are already available and in stores.

AMD completely screwed up not showing or announcing the 390/390x at GDC. AMD partners/devs were hinting something big was going to happen at GDC yet nothing did. Along walks in NV with Titan X and made AMD look foolish. Same thing will happen at Computex. AMD might announce the 390x but if NV already has cards in the wild with custom PCB versions being built it again makes AMD look foolish in their timing.

The 390/390X will have to decimate NV in price and performance to be worth the wait and get marketshare back. I hope it does since I would like to see NV on their toes but something gives me the feeling Fiji will just be similar to NV's current performance.

Exactly how is releasing a card that has no competition from a competitor, going to take away market share? People who buy AMD cards now, are spending $300, so releasing a $700 card will either 1) cut into the Titan-X sales, or 2) cut into 980 sales, therefore only taking away market share from their own products, without a reason to. Why would NV cannibalize it's own product line? IF you want ultimate 4k go for the Titan-X, anything below, the 980 fits your needs.

Mark my words, they will launch it close to the 390/390x launch, not months before.

There is one reason for release in may. Witcher 3. Right now some people feel urge to upgrade, cause of gta5. If W3 turns to be performance hog, and enthusiasts will look for upgrade, will anyone wait for july/August launch, if they have great choice of Ti/X in shelves?

There is one reason for release in may. Witcher 3. Right now some people feel urge to upgrade, cause of gta5. If W3 turns to be performance hog, and enthusiasts will look for upgrade, will anyone wait for july/August launch, if they have great choice of Ti/X in shelves?

Neither of these titles interest me enough to buy them even on sale, let alone invest in a video card to play them.

For me my next upgrade is about improving my experience on titles I already own, and about new features.

If the 390x winds up supporting the mixed resolution/orientation Eyefinity we have been hearing about, that is pretty much a guaranteed sale for me, as long as one of them is fast enough to power my 4960x1600 PLP resolution. That is going to be a close call right there.

That's not really a reason either, since if they didn't have a 980ti there, there would still be a Titan-X and GTX 980... without the additional cost of producing a new card.

Exactly how is releasing a card that has no competition from a competitor, going to take away market share? People who buy AMD cards now, are spending $300, so releasing a $700 card will either 1) cut into the Titan-X sales, or 2) cut into 980 sales, therefore only taking away market share from their own products, without a reason to. Why would NV cannibalize it's own product line? IF you want ultimate 4k go for the Titan-X, anything below, the 980 fits your needs.

Mark my words, they will launch it close to the 390/390x launch, not months before.

The 390 will not be $300.

Its almost the exact same time lapse between the 780 (5/2013) and 780ti (11/2013) which didn't cut into the 780's sales or cause hardships for NV. People who were going to buy the 980 will keep buying them and the Titan X is a purely niche market with few buyers. The 980ti will fit right in between the two perfectly.

As GTA has shown 4GB might not cut it anymore for 1440p and above. Gamers know this but don't want to buy the Titan X so a fast cutdown with 6-8gb of ram has a place in todays GPU market.

If people wanting to upgrade for summer titles and have a choice between a card ready in May/June or waiting for another to be ready in July/August for similar pricing what do you think they will do? They will choose NV thus taking away buyers from AMD and marketshare.

AMD can't keep playing second fiddle. If they have a card faster than NV they should launch it; not sit and watch more people upgrade away from them. Tax refund season (in US) and summer titles are a big reason people upgrade.

boom, 390X faster than Titan X and its estimated to be $699 at launch, much less than a titan.

2015-04-22_1420.png

^^ If this is accurate then AMD is going to have a chance to gain back a little market share. This does not account for any potential architectural improvements or potential HBM memory bandwidth benefits... which may increase the margin even farther for AMD.

Also, this is all assuming 4096 Stream processors and 1050Mhz GPU clock speed

source: http://wccftech.com/stacked-hbm-memory-r9-390x-ramping-short-supply-initially/

To be honest even if it is the same performance, i would buy it over a titan x for sheer price/performance ratio and freesync.

If people buy the 980ti before the 290/290x is released the money saved for a GPU upgrade will be gone and it will hurt sales of AMD cards.

boom, 390X faster than Titan X and its estimated to be $699 at launch, much less than a titan.

2015-04-22_1420.png

^^ If this is accurate then AMD is going to have a chance to gain back a little market share. This does not account for any potential architectural improvements or potential HBM memory bandwidth benefits... which may increase the margin even farther for AMD.

source: http://wccftech.com/stacked-hbm-memory-r9-390x-ramping-short-supply-initially/

To be honest even if it is the same performance, i would buy it over a titan x for sheer price/performance ratio and freesync.

My humble eyes will believe it, when my humble eyes see it.

17009-4093.jpg

The 290x already runs hot.

A 45% core increase and a 50mhz clock increase seem pretty impossible considering we are staying on the same node, unless they plan to ship it with phase change cooling :p

I just don't put much merit in the 4096core 1050mhz rumors. One or the other. Not both. Unless AMD secretly has these manufactured at a 14nm process node :p

If people buy the 980ti before the 290/290x is released the money saved for a GPU upgrade will be gone and it will hurt sales of AMD cards.

It will be tough to buy the 980ti before 290/290x are launched :p

There's demand for a card in a budget with no supply. Could be sole source. It's a dream come true. They could even mark it up $100 or whatever to match the Titan X gross margin and drop the price when the 390x launches.

Two things to note:

- Source is from a post on the Chinese Baidu forums (not exactly known as a tech savvy site let's just say that much)
- IF this rumor is true, then according to the originator the May launch will be reference cards ONLY, with custom cards not coming until Sep

Personally I call BS on this one. I could potentially believe a May launch with a cut down GM200 part, but NOT the full GM200.

There's demand for a card in a budget with no supply. Could be sole source. It's a dream come true. They could even mark it up $100 or whatever to match the Titan X gross margin and drop the price when the 390x launches.

Yes indeed, I'm currently in need of a video card that can handle 4k and neither the 290X or 980 have enough performance. Titan X is too much for me so either 980 Ti or 390X with the performance of Titan X and priced around $700 will fit the bill perfectly. Who ever comes up with a solution for the dilemma first will get my money.

2015-04-22_1420.png

Very speculative, but if the numbers that he used to calculate the performance are accurate, then I suppose it could be possible. I hope it's at least semi-accurate. AMD needs this generation to win in a big way.

And then NV will drop the 980Ti @ $100 cheaper and faster than the 390x. If its giong to be $700 launch, Id wait.......

You are NV fan boy... Phillip always wore a green t-shirt, Terrance wore red.

Team red all day baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if AMD goes under I can use my matrox card, lol :p

Because NV dropped the 780ti at a lower price than the 290x...

You are right... But at the same time, a $700 price tag is quite high. I dont see NV just sitting on the 980ti @ a higher price. Maybe not $100 cheaper, but I would bet it comes in at what the 780ti did and slaughtering AMD's sales if they choose a $700 price point.

With the competitive pricing of a GTX980, there is no sense in paying AMD $700 unless their offering is a good 30% faster than the GTX980 (which I dont see happening).

So if people are determing the performance of the 390X by it's core count and clock speed. Then does that not mean the 980 Ti will be faster than a Titan X, since it will have the same full cores available and the reference will be clocked higher, and yet again clocked even further with the custom AIB boards.

So essentially even a reference 980 Ti should be faster than a Titan X, rite?

I rekon the 980Ti will come out a lil faster than the Titan X but will cost ~$150-300 because it has 6GB less VRAM.

Last edited:
So if people are determing the performance of the 390X by it's core count and clock speed. Then does that not mean the 980 Ti will be faster than a Titan X, since it will have the same full cores available and the reference will be clocked higher, and yet again clocked even further with the custom AIB boards.

I rekon the 980Ti will come out a lil faster than the Titan X but will cost ~$150-300 because it has 6GB less VRAM.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041563510#post1041563510

Most rumors do have the 980ti as a full GM200 core but at 6GB which would be pretty wicked. I don't think the reference would be clocked higher though, it's still the same massive full core so I would expect the same clocks and overclocking ability. The aftermarket cards could be clocked higher by default of course. n=1 just mentioned in the 980ti thread May = reference and around Sept = customs.

As per the 390x I'd start with core and clock speed. The other curve balls might be a higher core clock than expected like nVidia pulled off. Perhaps a slightly higher efficiency per core if they streamlined their architecture at all. I personally don't think HBM will play too much of a factor yet but that's been beaten to death in this thread...

Let me be very clear: I'm simply the messenger, that other dude on Baidu made those claims.

Don't want angry mobs showing up upside my house when this rumor falls flat on its face. :p

Zarathustra[H];1041562795 said:
My humble eyes will believe it, when my humble eyes see it.

17009-4093.jpg

The 290x already runs hot.

A 45% core increase and a 50mhz clock increase seem pretty impossible considering we are staying on the same node, unless they plan to ship it with phase change cooling :p

I just don't put much merit in the 4096core 1050mhz rumors. One or the other. Not both. Unless AMD secretly has these manufactured at a 14nm process node :p

It will be tough to buy the 980ti before 290/290x are launched :p

Well Zara i will start baking that humble pie lol:D. On a serious note i found this on sisoft sandra. heres the link. www.sisoftware.eu/rank2011d/show_run.php?q=c2ffccfddbbadbe6deedd4e7d3f587ba8aacc9ac91a187f4c9f9&l=en
The first run/test was last year october the recent one in feb this year. Who knows specs may change, but i doubt Sisoft sandra can be faked.;)
AMD-Fiji-XT-R9-390X-SiSoft-Sandra-Listing.jpg
AMD-Fiji-XT-R9-390X-SiSoft-Sandra-Listing.jpg

Last edited:
You are right... But at the same time, a $700 price tag is quite high. I dont see NV just sitting on the 980ti @ a higher price. Maybe not $100 cheaper, but I would bet it comes in at what the 780ti did and slaughtering AMD's sales if they choose a $700 price point.

With the competitive pricing of a GTX980, there is no sense in paying AMD $700 unless their offering is a good 30% faster than the GTX980 (which I dont see happening).

Whatever may come with the 980 ti pricing, one thing is nearly sure: nV has the option of completely undercutting the 390x -- and your 780 ti comparison is apt. Should the 390x be priced at $650, nV could price 980 ti at $550 and still take the wind out of AMD's sails even if the 980 ti was 10% slower. They have the cash reserves, they have their other lines making money, they have the R&D pipeline. AMD's situation is not as pretty. I guess it comes down to nV's pricing strategy vis-a-vis their competition and whether they want to put AMD down for the count (something I and, I think, the rest of us graphics enthusiasts hope wouldn't be the case).

Whatever may come with the 980 ti pricing, one thing is nearly sure: nV has the option of completely undercutting the 390x -- and your 780 ti comparison is apt. Should the 390x be priced at $650, nV could price 980 ti at $550 and still take the wind out of AMD's sails even if the 980 ti was 10% slower. They have the cash reserves, they have their other lines making money, they have the R&D pipeline. AMD's situation is not as pretty. I guess it comes down to nV's pricing strategy vis-a-vis their competition and whether they want to put AMD down for the count (something I and, I think, the rest of us graphics enthusiasts hope wouldn't be the case).

They already have tool to do it if they want.
250-270$ GTX 970 would force AMD to sell 290X below 200$.

They already have tool to do it if they want.
250-270$ GTX 970 would force AMD to sell 290X below 200$.

True, but I'm not sure how much blood there still is to draw from that stone.

I do know if GTX 970 was $250 and 290x was $200, I'm sure what my choice would be every time.

Back