390X coming soon few weeks

All of those guys are just youtube personalities that gloss over popular hardware. That's fine for the masses because they bring a certain flare to the presentation and it's good for PC gaming in general. Sites like this are there if you want more detailed analysis of the tech Linus glosses over in his videos. Although I think this site and Anandtech could have been much bigger if they also had some video reviews + personalities like Linus working for them early on. I bet if you look at monthly visits + ad revenue, linus's website probably does better than hardocp.

Correct, someone to watch to pass the time. It's not a hard core channel, but fun to watch. He does get corporate sponsorship, so you do learn a few things from time to time. It's not like watching TTL do a review, but its a good time.

Linus is probably my least favorite, with TTL at the top of my list with several in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2hOg3vHDU

Could be NSFW due to language at the beginning.

Here is the show for those who are curious.

Last edited:
Correct, someone to watch to pass the time. It's not a hard core channel, but fun to watch. He does get corporate sponsorship, so you do learn a few things from time to time. It's not like watching TTL do a review, but its a good time.

Linus is probably my least favorite, with TTL at the top of my list with several in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2hOg3vHDU

Could be NSFW due to language at the beginning.

Here is the show for those who are curious.
Kinda wish some of the "hardcore" reviewers would do things like this. Sure maybe some of them aren't entertainers but it would still be nice to have stuff like this from people who actually know what they're talking about. I feel like these people know less than I do, why the hell would I want to listen to them? Or why should I care what they think?

I'd rather come here and read what other HardForum users are saying... You know, people who actually understand the subject material.

I've not watched this guy, or the other guy with the crazy beard but I have seen a few Linus videos. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I've always found it's better to educate people and bring them into the world of "hardcore" news than it is to dumb-down the same information for the masses.

I like to use monitors as the best example, here's an LG widescreen review from last year:

Real review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34um95.htm
Linus review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

You don't need to know what TFT Central is talking about, you just need to know the difference between 'good' and 'bad'.

It's not so much that Linus shouldn't be doing what he's doing -- the problem is that his viewers don't know better. They watch a shitty 10-minute YouTube video and think THAT is a review.
It's a commercial. An advertisement... An unboxing. There's nothing about it that makes it a "review".

I prefer to see products scrutinized; not being sold to me. Linus feels like a salesman. Masking a sale video as a review is dishonest.
Guy's a twat. And now I've made myself angry.

Linus feels like a salesman to you because that's precisely what he is and how he got started at NCIX doing video reviews for their store. It was from there that he got famous and then branched off on his own though he still has NCIX sponsoring him. I recently bought a Corsair K70 RGB keyboard and saw his video on it and it was terrible. He just talked about the software for nearly the entire video and didn't touch on any other important aspect of the keyboard - but that's how it goes. Video reviews aren't meant to be super detailed, just nit pick on a single point, advertise the specs, toss in some flare and you got thousands of views + ad revenue.

Tek Syndicate (the guy w/the beard) does it a bit better, he has video reviews but also writes an article on the subject that you can read on his website. Though overall, none of these guys are really worth a shit if you want to learn about the intricacies of the hardware - Anand used to bring that in droves but he's since moved on and now AT is a dying website.

Could have sworn they were ahead or tied until the GTX 980 / 970 came out. I don't count the Titan as a legit card even though AMD cards tied it many times over the last few years. Now if you want to save trees then sure Nvidia has been the best at cutting out features and CUDA cores to save on power. Nvidia also sucked for the longest time at cryptomining because of these choices. I never cryptomined on my cards, but I rendered many hundreds of hours of video and used them to render my stream to Twitch before Nvidia ever heard of a ShadowPlay. Hell I could choose which GPU in my Crossfire setup to use to render my stream with if I wanted to.

Some people really have short memories or are regurgitating information that they are unsure of.

Or they simply make shit up.

The best part is they actually think people believe them. :D

How was the 7970 a flop? It beat the 6970 and 580 handily, performed just as well as the 680, and it's still a competitive option for 1080p gaming 3 years later.

The flop was the handling of the release. Drivers weren't ready and they clocked it too low. Add to that they didn't fix it for months when all they had to do was release a higher clocked version.

I'll wait for my [H] pudding. For it all is told in the review. I give shit not for power usage. Pull 400w from the wall for all I care. If it's faster and they price it right I'll buy it.

The flop was the handling of the release. Drivers weren't ready and they clocked it too low. Add to that they didn't fix it for months when all they had to do was release a higher clocked version.

Wut? It worked fine at launch.

Did you actually own a launch 7970 or are you talking out of your ass?

Because none of what you said is true.

Third this what others are saying.

Was a great card at launch. Killed everything else on the market at the time. Performed better than my two overclocked 6970's in CF in the titles that mattered for me.

Thats where I stopped reading. AMD has not been ahead in GPU performance in AGES literally. They can BARELY compete in the mid market. They also gave up in efficiency eons ago.

AMD shifted their sights to the mid level market a few years ago when they realized they could not compete with nVidia. It was big news to see AMD officially say they cannot compete in the high end of gaming graphics. :eek:

And I don't think this has changed. These cards will not compete with the high end in my opinion.

This is funny cause AMD is actually very close if not getting closer every gen, even if Nvidia makes a $1000 boutique card that wins by 5% or something. Back in like 3000 series days AMD wasn't even close.

And now we're too the point Nvidia's new high end the 980 barely squeeks by AMD's months old 290X. The 300 series looks like it beat Nvidia's best handily. Hell it has to since the 290X is already practically tied with the 980.

Nvidia hasn't made a serious attempt at dominating the high end in ages. They put some barely faster card out for $550-1000+ at best. It seems they are worried about mobile I guess.

Anyways, with 4096 shaders if rumored, then 380X should definitely be faster than 980. Never mind whatever that HBM memory can do.

This is funny cause AMD is actually very close if not getting closer every gen, even if Nvidia makes a $1000 boutique card that wins by 5% or something. Back in like 3000 series days AMD wasn't even close.

And now we're too the point Nvidia's new high end the 980 barely squeeks by AMD's months old 290X. The 300 series looks like it beat Nvidia's best handily. Hell it has to since the 290X is already practically tied with the 980.

Nvidia hasn't made a serious attempt at dominating the high end in ages. They put some barely faster card out for $550-1000+ at best. It seems they are worried about mobile I guess.

Anyways, with 4096 shaders if rumored, then 380X should definitely be faster than 980. Never mind whatever that HBM memory can do.

It's obvious NVIDIA isn't trying very hard at the high end right now and I suspect much of that has to do with maximizing profit by holding the big chips for later like the GM200. That said, saying the 290X is close to the 980 is not true because of a few factors:

1. Depends which source you read and which games are tested and the methodology. I've seen reviews where the 980 is pouncing on the 290x hard.

2. Not all 980s are the same nor are 290X. Are we talking reference vs reference or aftermarket vs aftermarket?

3. A lot of reviews gloss over OC or barely scratch the surface. My 980s do 1547 MHz or higher w/out touching voltages and I'm confident it beats any other air cooled 290x out there easily.

Sure, until it had competition.
Sure? Sure it worked until the 680 came out? The 7970 worked fine at launch and was seen as the most advanced single chip. New products came out and changed the game, but the 7970 represents AMDs most successful product in recent memory. It came out 3 years ago and is still relevant as a high end product today.

Anandtech said:
So at the end of the day AMD has once again retaken the performance crown for single-GPU cards, bringing them back to a position they last held nearly 2 years ago with the 5870. To that AMD deserves kudos, and if you’re in the market for a $500+ video card the 7970 is clearly the card to get – it’s a bit more expensive than the GTX 580, but it’s reasonably faster and cooler all at once.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/28

HardOCP said:
AMD has created an extremely efficient video card with the Radeon HD 7970, which is not surprising given the history of video cards the last couple of generations. What is surprising is the performance advantage compared to a Radeon HD 6970 in the power envelope it is operating. The AMD Radeon HD 7970 is eloquence and efficiency in design. It is not cheap, at $549 it will set you back a decent amount of cash. At this price it is more expensive than a standard GeForce GTX 580, as well Radeon HD 6970. Thankfully, the performance justifies the price, by producing greater real-world gameplay experience advantages and large framerate improvements. Our only real concern right now is quantity and availability. We should see full retail on these video cards around January 9th, so there is going to be a bit of waiting.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/22/amd_radeon_hd_7970_video_card_review/14

TechpowerUp said:
AMD's new Radeon HD 7970 successfully introduces the company's new Graphics Core Next GPU architecture to the market. The move away from the VLIW shaders promises increased flexibility and higher performance, while still retaining compatibility with driver optimizations done for the VLIW architecture. In our testing we see AMD's new flagship cruise past NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 580 with a healthy 15% performance margin averaged over all our benchmarks - at 2560x1600, making it the fastest single GPU graphics card in the world. 2560x1600, at least 1920x1200, should be your gaming resolution, otherwise the card won't be able to play out its full potential.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/32.html

Sure? Sure it worked until the 680 came out? The 7970 worked fine at launch and was seen as the most advanced single chip. New products came out and changed the game, but the 7970 represents AMDs most successful product in recent memory. It came out 3 years ago and is still relevant as a high end product today.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/28

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/22/amd_radeon_hd_7970_video_card_review/14

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/32.html

You need yo read what I said. I never said anything bad about the chip. I know Tahiti is better than GK104. The problem is that AMD never got that point across to the masses. In order to sell Tahiti it had to be priced below the GK104. AMD couldn't even effectively sell the added compute, which was massively superior to GK104, or the extra gig of RAM. nVidia had most people convinced that 2 gig was enough for 1080 as recently as 6-8 months ago. Tahiti wasn't a failure, AMD just failed to sell it.

Nvidia havent had anything better than AMD for generations now, my 290 still beats anything Nvidia has, best card series in the world atm until the 380x or whatever name it will have arrives and does it again.

You need yo read what I said. I never said anything bad about the chip. I know Tahiti is better than GK104. The problem is that AMD never got that point across to the masses. In order to sell Tahiti it had to be priced below the GK104. AMD couldn't even effectively sell the added compute, which was massively superior to GK104, or the extra gig of RAM. nVidia had most people convinced that 2 gig was enough for 1080 as recently as 6-8 months ago. Tahiti wasn't a failure, AMD just failed to sell it.
If i'm reading your words correctly I see you saying that Tahiti sold poorly. That it was seen as poor design.
Relayer said:
I know Tahiti is better than GK104. The problem is that AMD never got that point across to the masses.
Where HardOCP said
HardOCP said:
The AMD Radeon HD 7970 is eloquence and efficiency in design.
Sounds to me like they got quality of design across. AMD has sold tahiti for three years and in my mind that rings of a successful product.

Last edited:

According to the rumour mill, the 380x will not use HBM for the memory. Only the 390 and 390x and the last rumours about them is they are not due until the 4th quarter. At least that is what I have read. like all rumours though, take with a large dose of salt. :D

According to the rumour mill, the 380x will not use HBM for the memory. Only the 390 and 390x and the last rumours about them is they are not due until the 4th quarter. At least that is what I have read. like all rumours though, take with a large dose of salt. :D

You are mixing up your rumors.

A good aggregation of the rumors so far:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/80506-amd-radeon-300-series-graphics-cards-rumour-roundup/

I'm still hesitant to believe the 390x and 380x will be released together in June. My guess would be the 380x will be what we see in June being somewhere in between a 980 and 980 ti, then the 390x later in the year.

They had BETTER NOT RE-BRAND the 290 / 290x and sell it as the 380 / 380x with nothing else new until Q4 2015!!!! It is getting very tedious how many times AMD re-brand cards!!! If they re-brand them AND release a new card at the same time that is not as bad.

Well my money is going to who ever brings out their new flagship card quicker. Wheather it be GTX 980ti or 390/80X. Your time is running out AMD.

Nvidia havent had anything better than AMD for generations now, my 290 still beats anything Nvidia has, best card series in the world atm until the 380x or whatever name it will have arrives and does it again.

Not strictly true but if it makes you feel happier then its ok if you want to think that.

A reference 980 vs a aftermarket 290x OC vs OC is 24.4% faster according to the [H] review.

To be fair, the 980 should really be compared to the 380x or 370x or whatever is around the same price range in AMD's lineup in a few months. On the flip side, AMD definitely has wayyyyy better value right now. If I was to buy a card (or three) today it'd be a OOS 290x lightning.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...overclocking_video_card_review/5#.VNi3MPnF98E

Last edited:
To be fair, the 980 should really be compared to the 380x or 370x or whatever is around the same price range in AMD's lineup in a few months. On the flip side, AMD definitely has wayyyyy better value right now. If I was to buy a card (or three) today it'd be a OOS 290x lightning.

Conversely, AMD should be judged on what they are able to deliver at the price 980 is being sold ($550). If they aren't able to deliver something notably faster in that price bracket, they've failed, especially considering they will be releasing 390x nearly 9 months after 980 has been on the market (and over 1 1/2 years after 290x).

What will likely happen is this: AMD will release 390/390x in June at $350/$550 respectively which will beat 980 handily in performance. Nv will then a) lower price on GTX 980 a bit, b) release at a premium price 980 ti marginally beating 390x in performance (and probably winning in power efficiency by a bit). AMD will then counter with 395x2 at an ultra premium price. Tick-tock, tick-tock, frog jumps over frog.

Can we all agree to stop giving all these rumor sites ad revenue for pulling numbers out of their ass every couple days?

Also, for real, why do so many people blindly fight for one side or the other. Are there that many paid shills on this board or just that many dumb people?

Conversely, AMD should be judged on what they are able to deliver at the price 980 is being sold ($550). If they aren't able to deliver something notably faster in that price bracket, they've failed, especially considering they will be releasing 390x nearly 9 months after 980 has been on the market (and over 1 1/2 years after 290x).

What will likely happen is this: AMD will release 390/390x in June at $350/$550 respectively which will beat 980 handily in performance. Nv will then a) lower price on GTX 980 a bit, b) release at a premium price 980 ti marginally beating 390x in performance (and probably winning in power efficiency by a bit). AMD will then counter with 395x2 at an ultra premium price. Tick-tock, tick-tock, frog jumps over frog.

I think you're spot on. I will 99% go with AMD this next round if they are competitive. I don't really care about +/- 10% TBH.

It's funny, the 970 issue changed me from a "let AMD go under if they deserve it, yarr Murica'" to "hell with nVidia the unethical bastards".

Also, for real, why do so many people blindly fight for one side or the other. Are there that many paid shills on this board or just that many dumb people?
There seems to be a lot of people that would fight to the death over two companies whose sole purpose is to take as much of their money as possible.

Can we all agree to stop giving all these rumor sites ad revenue for pulling numbers out of their ass every couple days?

When people complain about "fanboys" why do they always blame both sides?
You should realize, AMD fanboys do not exist.

You have Nvidia fanboys, and then everybody else (people who swing both ways). Nobody blindly buys AMD GPU's.

Some are most probably paid, others deluded.

I have switched back and forth depending on the performance/value. Right now I assess NVidia's unwillingness to own up to their mistakes as a risk. Perhaps low-moderate risk, but when I buy my next cards if all things are equal that can tip me to AMD.

You are mixing up your rumors.

Wouldn't surprise me. I thought the 390/ 390x where going to be 20nm process with HBM and the 380/ 380x 28nm non HBM. That is why I thought it was the 4th quarter for the 390 release and end of 2nd quarter for the 380 release.

All these rumours flying around make it difficult to know what is and what isn't reliable info.

Wouldn't surprise me. I thought the 390/ 390x where going to be 20nm process with HBM and the 380/ 380x 28nm non HBM. That is why I thought it was the 4th quarter for the 390 release and end of 2nd quarter for the 380 release.

All these rumours flying around make it difficult to know what is and what isn't reliable info.

I think 28nm with HBM, but it there is nothing confirmed.

I have switched back and forth depending on the performance/value. Right now I assess NVidia's unwillingness to own up to their mistakes as a risk. Perhaps low-moderate risk, but when I buy my next cards if all things are equal that can tip me to AMD.

Yes same here, except I have had AMD for the last 5+ years, I was very happy with the 970 except for the coil whine (and still think it is good for 1080p) but with the 3.5gb thing and freesync I am going back to AMD for some 1440p freesync goodness.

You know what all of you should do? AMD and Nvidia buyers? Wait until 20nm. I will never again buy anything thats 28nm. I'll ride my 290's out for another year if I have to. They are very powerful in crossfire

You know what all of you should do? AMD and Nvidia buyers? Wait until 20nm. I will never again buy anything thats 28nm. I'll ride my 290's out for another year if I have to. They are very powerful in crossfire

980s are the last 28nm I will buy, next will be a smaller process for sure.

If we had some guarantees on performance numbers, maybe.
Or a timeframe... maybe.

If these new AMD cards are really 30+% faster than the 980, it's hard to say no. Especially when the first batch of 20nm cards could be just 15-20% faster than that and over 1 year away.
I plan on staying 1200p for the forseeable future, well beyond 20nm for sure. Whatever AMD is about to release should be enough for me.

It's going to take a serious performer to get the money out of my wallet, though. I can ride this 280X as long as I need to.

Have fun waiting for eternity. There isn't going to be any GPUs on 20nm planar.

Back