390X coming soon few weeks

its less about what they look like and more about the cooling solutions (noise, heat)

Times Square.

r3KYst1.jpg

looks more like 50 feet if the traffic lights below it are any indication

lol

Good god, that thing is a beast.

220 ft long, 8 stories high (87 Ft).

Last edited:
The sign, with playback system designed and managed by Diversified Media Group, is a single surface covering a city block in length and stands eight stories high. Driving the visual display are three AMD FirePro professional graphics cards using AMD Eyefinity Technology, with each card powering six sections of the display for a combined resolution of 10,048 x 2,368 pixels. The individual display sections are synchronized across graphics cards and zones using the FirePro™ S400 synchronization module.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/lights-up-broadway-2015may28.aspx

8 stories, sweet jesus.
We need a better picture.

Jesus. I wonder how much that cost (not just the tech, but the right to put it in tines square)

Either AMD is being very wasteful with their scarce resources, or they are very confident about something we don't know about yet.

Right now, I wouldn't quite say they are processing any kind of revolution...

its on the side of the Mariott Marquis. $500 a night per room.

Im sure they are raking it in from the rent.

Zarathustra[H];1041629084 said:
Jesus. I wonder how much that cost (not just the tech, but the right to put it in tines square)

Either AMD is being very wasteful with their scarce resources, or they are very confident about something we don't know about yet.

Right now, I wouldn't quite say they are processing any kind of revolution...

They are building a brand name from the looks of it. A very smart move on their part.
After all brand names (Apple, Rolex, Ferrari) are what sell a product.

They are building a brand name from the looks of it. A very smart move on their part.
After all brand names (Apple, Rolex, Ferrari) are what sell a product.

Think about the demographic, though. Rolex, Ferrari, Apple - luxury products - and the average person is going to see a billboard and associate success with money, and both of those to luxury products which they can hope to acquire and show off to friends to demonstrate success and money.

Video cards don't work like that. Technical specifications and software support sell video cards. AMD putting a gigantic billboard in Times Square sells to what demographic, exactly? Who are they going to sway by doing that? Average Joe computer user? No, he has a Dell or a Macbook. Moderate enthusiast? Show me the money ( specs and driver support )

You know what AMD should have done to get additional, positive exposure for the brand? Release a Crossfire driver that worked for Witcher 3 and - also - release information on Fiji XT prior to computex to undercut Nvidia if it's really a Titan X killer.

A giant billboard? Who cares. This is like John Romero going to make us all his bitch and then, failing miserably.

AMD got subcontracted and paid for their work. And they get publicity, sounds like a win-win for them here.

Does everyone really think that billboard only has 1 image of a video card? I would expect it to scroll other adds.

Think about the demographic, though. Rolex, Ferrari, Apple - luxury products - and the average person is going to see a billboard and associate success with money, and both of those to luxury products which they can hope to acquire and show off to friends to demonstrate success and money.

Video cards don't work like that. Technical specifications and software support sell video cards. AMD putting a gigantic billboard in Times Square sells to what demographic, exactly? Who are they going to sway by doing that? Average Joe computer user? No, he has a Dell or a Macbook. Moderate enthusiast? Show me the money ( specs and driver support )

You know what AMD should have done to get additional, positive exposure for the brand? Release a Crossfire driver that worked for Witcher 3 and - also - release information on Fiji XT prior to computex to undercut Nvidia if it's really a Titan X killer.

A giant billboard? Who cares. This is like John Romero going to make us all his bitch and then, failing miserably.

Dude you don't build a brand in a day. And judging from your post some people will never be convinced a certain brand is any good :p

jeez people.

Someone paid them to built it, they arent using themselves.

Its owned by someone else who rents it out for advertizing.

Dude you don't build a brand in a day. And judging from your post some people will never be convinced a certain brand is any good :p

AMD has done the bare minimum to keep my business. I've spent thousands on AMD products. Brand building for a graphics card company isn't done on a billboard, it's done through execution - something AMD has continually failed on.

jeez people.

Someone paid them to built it, they arent using themselves.

Its owned by someone else who rents it out for advertizing.

"The sign, with playback system designed and managed by Diversified Media Group"
From the looks of it the AMD cards running it are the only AMD thing about the billboard.

"The sign, with playback system designed and managed by Diversified Media Group"
From the looks of it the AMD cards running it are the only AMD thing about the billboard.

Exactly. So I'm sure the video card isn't the only thing that shows up on the screen. C'mon people.

What about those massive digital screens they use at sports stadiums? Probably about the same size, maybe bigger, and those have been around for years.
I don't know what's so special about this billboard that required AMD to power it and make a press statement about it.

Of course it's a rotating ad, AMD just got a slot because they provided the cards to run it I imagine.

AMD has done the bare minimum to keep my business. I've spent thousands on AMD products. Brand building for a graphics card company isn't done on a billboard, it's done through execution - something AMD has continually failed on.

I don't know about that... from all the recent things I have been looking at, aside from drivers being released in a timely manner, AMD has been getting better.
The company as a whole has been in a transitioning stage for some time now, when AMD does find it's footing we will get the competition we need in the PC industry.

I don't know about that... from all the recent things I have been looking at, aside from drivers being released in a timely manner, AMD has been getting better.
The company as a whole has been in a transitioning stage for some time now, when AMD does find it's footing we will get the competition we need in the PC industry.

AMD has been 'transitioning' for nearly a decade now. Driver support has always been a joke. It has gotten better in that the drivers are usually not shite for single card anymore, but crossfire has been an ongoing joke for several iterations now.

It was shite with the 7950s - I owned them. Swore off multi-card after that driver fiasco. Then, I saw that AMD might be improving, that the 290s would be okay multi-card - that AMD had finally gotten their act together with driver support. Well, they didn't get better and driver support is just as bad for multi-card as it was.

The last time I was really happy with an AMD product was the X850 XT Platinum

if it's a gameworks game, then CF driver will be available after a few months or never

if it's a gameworks game, then CF driver will be available after a few months or never

Precisely. I don't care who's fault it is. I'm not dropping $750-1250 on a multi-GPU AMD setup again knowing that a fairly large percentage of games will, at best, support it late or at worst - never support it.

I wonder how much the $350 price tag on my pair of 280x had to do with my happiness with them and the drivers? I was really very pleased and thought it was a hell of a lot of bang for the buck. I have a 290x now for no good reason, it's OK, it's a video card, plays games, I'd buy another one to pair with it I guess if it ever starts to stumble. I don't think I've had anything but ATI cards since the first couple gforce I bought years and years ago. Had a few Matrox and some other random long-gone's, been mostly ATI though.

Back