390X coming soon few weeks

really I don't care about interest

I rather live the moment than the futur.

No offense but are you trying to troll?

Assuming you're posting in good faith, if you have to loan money (at 12% interest no less) to buy $2000 worth of computer hardware, then you are way overstretching your budget, and if you "live the moment" so to speak, you may end up having no future.

But hell, your life your money, do whatever you want.

I've got $30k of student loan debt but my credit cards are fine.
If you think I'm going to let the parts in my PC collect dust until those loans are paid off, you're high.

If you think I'm going to let the parts in my PC collect dust until those loans are paid off, you're high.

exactly my credit card is ready to roll when ever a client need a pc and I'm sure I could pay that 2000 in cash but i rather have some slack into my pocket

But does your student loan charge 12% interest? And I'm assuming you pay off your cards every month and don't pile on extra debt?

I mean if you have to take out a loan at 12% interest to buy computer hardware, doesn't exactly sound like your budget has the room for this expense. "Planned debt" like mortgage/student/auto loan payments you usually budget into your finances, so that's different. As long as you're not piling on credit card debt on top of that then yeah I consider a purchase affordable.

exactly my credit card is ready to roll when ever a client need a pc and I'm sure I could pay that 2000 in cash but i rather have some slack into my pocket

lol so that 12% loan is your credit card? Eh whatever makes you happy I guess.

Last edited:

That's nice but do not come bitching to us when you cannot afford to live day to day. However, sounds to me like you are just trying to justify things when you were not even the person being spoken too.

On the other hand, blueballs, if you have the cash for one video card in the $500 and under range, go for that. If you do not, then do not bother. You asked, we answered, do not like the answers, tough, get over it. Otherwise, this is a 390x thread, start a new thread if you want. (I agree, you seem to be trolling and I bit, I will not make that same mistake twice.)

I am not trolling at all and no my credit card set at 9.9% and is empty for client pc like I said.

Oh and it's for a custom water cooling build in the 900D so I don't want to buy new blocks/backplates in 6 months!

Last edited:
I would say this is horribly off topic, but since we have a few weeks until credible news it really doesn't matter.

I say put it all on the credit card, do not stop at 2 Titan X go for 3. I hear the scaling after 3 is non-existent. After that put a few 4k monitors on credit because you need something to push those Titans! Do not forget some nice radiators for the water cooling setup those cards really push out the heat when overclocked. I mean really 12% interest is not THAT bad right? That is only APR anyways, that extra amount spread throughout the year is small potatoes, just think of it as a layaway fee. Go [H] man!

Disclaimer: I have funds invested into credit card companies, so please help fund my future PC upgrades and my child's college education. Thanks in advance!

I would say this is horribly off topic, but since we have a few weeks until credible news it really doesn't matter.

I say put it all on the credit card, do not stop at 2 Titan X go for 3. I hear the scaling after 3 is non-existent. After that put a few 4k monitors on credit because you need something to push those Titans! Do not forget some nice radiators for the water cooling setup those cards really push out the heat when overclocked. I mean really 12% interest is not THAT bad right? That is only APR anyways, that extra amount spread throughout the year is small potatoes, just think of it as a layaway fee. Go [H] man!

Disclaimer: I have funds invested into credit card companies, so please help fund my future PC upgrades and my child's college education. Thanks in advance!

hahahaha

dude has the second fastest single gpu and wants to blow 2k on the two fastest gpus... at 12% interest?

I don't understand some people.

being financially secure is winning at the video game called LIFE.

Like I said I could buy those cards in cash but I prefer having some money left if anything bad happens.

thanks all for the opinions

Can you guys get back on topic? What's up with the flaming and mud slinging? It's not your money or your life. let people do what they want with their money or pay the price of bad decisions. Enjoy your hardware.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-why-directx-12-is-a-gamechanger

Improved D11 drivers in Windows 10?

In the graphics market, AMD has often been criticised for its lacklustre approach to driver support. Our tests on DX11 hardware have illustrated that there is a big gap, and it should be addressed. Curiously, the DX12 driver in Windows 10 seems to have DX11 enhancements not found in the current Windows 8.1 driver, resulting in tangible performance boosts to Project Cars when it's run on the new OS. Hopefully this is just the beginning of AMD's efforts to optimise DX11, but the benches strongly suggest that the groundwork is in place for the firm to be as competitive on the software side as it is with its hardware once DX12 is the focus for PC development.

Windows 10 could be AMD's savior. The fact that it makes their multi core CPU competitive may mean that Intel is finally getting the competition they need.

That news combined with the DX12 featureset has me more inclined towards AMD this cycle. The DX12 era might be AMD's for the taking.
But we shall see.

We won't know that for sure until well after DX12 is released though, it could be next year, or maybe even year after that we see games taking advantage of DX12.

I'd say next cycle would be a much better time for making decisions based on DX12 performance than this cycle.

We won't know that for sure until well after DX12 is released though, it could be next year, or maybe even year after that we see games taking advantage of DX12.

I'd say next cycle would be a much better time for making decisions based on DX12 performance than this cycle.

Pretty much, future proofing never really works out for me. I just buy what seems best at the moment.

I hope that DX12 catches on as fast as DX11. The transition might be quick. I also doubt that I'll be upgrading before then anyways. We shall see.

Look at the mantle is the future hype around r9 290x. AMD truaudio (which I was really interested in), open cl, freesync a year before any displays were available and still have their quirks apparently, ect. IDK

I keep all of my GPU's for about 3 years on the dot, going by my past trends.
So if I were to buy a card this summer I have to consider DX12 support.

What exactly isn't DX12 compliant? I'm honestly not sure. Not too informed about this one.

Going by past articles fermi wasn't fully DX11 compliant either. Just wondering how much of a difference there is here.

What exactly isn't DX12 compliant? I'm honestly not sure. Not too informed about this one.

Going by past articles fermi wasn't fully DX11 compliant either. Just wondering how much of a difference there is here.
I don't think anybody knows yet.
I've been looking into the "Tiers" for the past few days and I can't find anything on them. Maybe because DX12 isn't actually out yet?

All I know right now is that AMD is claiming full tiered support and Nvidia isn't (Maxwell).

Hmm, the difference very well may be significant. Nvidia was claiming full DX11 compliance with fermi.

And was it?
My 5870 was useless in DX11. Tessellation problems, if I recall.

Yes and no. It was compliant in all but a couple of things that didn't really effect anything in game. Some 2d options iirc? IDK, its been a while. Going off memory.

I never owned a 5xxx series card. I wouldn't know. I thought that Crysis 2 and lost planet were the big issues? Was it really that bad in other games?

You're talking me into not upgrading until Windows 10 actually hits the market and we see a couple of dx12 titles on the market. I'm not upgrading as often as I used to.

Yes and no. It was compliant in all but a couple of things that didn't really effect anything in game. Some 2d options iirc? IDK, its been a while. Going off memory.

I never owned a 5xxx series card. I wouldn't know. I thought that Crysis 2 and lost planet were the big issues? Was it really that bad in other games?

You're talking me into not upgrading until Windows 10 actually hits the market and we see a couple of dx12 titles on the market. I'm not upgrading as often as I used to.

From what I recall, the 5xxx series were DX11 capable, but just rather slow in DX11..

Pretty sure it was the tessellation performance of the 5000 series that just wasn't very good.

it wasnt, the 6xxx series fixed it, and 7xxx went above nvidias tessellation performance.

You can call me a troll if you want.

But if you think I am a troll then you must be poor and live in fear.

Btw I don't care about what others think of the way I live my life as long as I'm happy.

Meh.

This is a hardware forum, not a personal finance forum.

Personally I would prefer if we kept it on topic without praising or criticizing (either directly or indirectly) anyone's method of paying for said hardware. That's kind of their own business.

Pretty much, future proofing never really works out for me. I just buy what seems best at the moment.

This.

Buying hardware to be future proof is silly in an industry where obsolescence is this quick, and predicting what the future holds is so difficult.

Unless a release is imminent, waiting for new releases is silly to. No matter when you buy a new GPU/CPU/SSD/Whatever, there will always be something new on the horizon. It's a cionstant moving target.

Buy what gives you the best bang for your budget today, and forget everything else.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041596588 said:
This.

Buying hardware to be future proof is silly in an industry where obsolescence is this quick, and predicting what the future holds is so difficult.

Buy what gives you the best bang for your budget today, and forget everything else.
Tell that to my 7950 GX2... What a mistake that was.
Future-proofing with the 8800 GTX was the best decision I ever made, after I managed to get rid of the 7950 at a loss. There was like 3-4 months between the two cards.

Lesson learned.

Zarathustra[H];1041596588 said:
This.

I purchased my current 7950 for under 300. 11/7/2012 It's been a great card.

I purchased my current 7950 for under 300. 11/7/2012 It's been a great card.

Don't get me wrong, some cards work out and have better longevity than others, but repeatedly hitting this is like the holy grail.

My Titan I bought in early 2013 is still a great card, over two years later which I would never have predicted when I bought it.

Predicting what will be important for future performance is a losing proposition.

Remember how everyone was saying that Bulldozers 8 cores would make it a great CPU in the future, just misunderstood at the time of launch?

Today everyone seems to think that HBM memory bandwidth will be the future proofing element. Who the hell knows. Memory bandwidth has never really been THAT big of a deal in the past. I'd argue that memory quantity is probably going to be of greater importance in the future.

And for the folks who had 5xxx Radeons? It wouldn't have made sense for them make purchasing decisions based on the future back then, considering how long it took DX11 to really become relevant.

Sure we had a handful of titles that took advantage of DX11 early on, but those were mostly DX9 titles, with a sprinkling of DX11 effects that in most cases weren't even that impressive.

I mean, if you bought a 5870 on launch in September 2009, it was more than a year until the first "real" DX11 title (Civilization 5) hit, and it wasn't even that intense on the graphics, especially since you don't need high frame rates for turn based strategy games. 10fps is playable in that game, and a 5870 would get you MUCH more than that.

By the time more DX11 centric titles came along, it was probably already time to upgrade that 5870 already anyway, so no big deal.

I did some testing of memory overclocks when I had a golden Sapphire HD 7950 from the initial launch. I could overclock the memory all the way to 1800 easily. Overclocking the GPU core initially made a much bigger difference than the memory. Then after the core was at it's highest, the memory overclock made a huge difference in performance. It was so tempting to go higher and higher that I eventually roasted the memory on that card. :)

The new cards are a different architecture so it's meaningless to speculate what faster memory will do for them. We all know that memory bus speeds are all over the place from generation to generation of cards and the newer cards always outperform the older generation.

Still fun to dream about it though. :)

Back