390X coming soon few weeks

Weren't those old games?
Batman and Witcher 3 are among the two biggest games of the year and the bunduru is being rolled out at (or before) their time of release.

Two brand new games are more tempting than 3 quite old games.

Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite were still pretty new. BF4 was 6 months old. As far as which are more tempting that's a personal preference that not everybody will agree on.

I'm glad this thread is being allowed to lie fallow until something more definite is known.

(R400...D'OH!!!)

Ken

Have any of you seriously ever made the decision of which video card to buy based on which games they gave away with it?

I certainly haven't. They have never factored in in the slightest for me.

I buy whatever video card performs to my needs at the best price when I am shopping, and if it came with any games, that's great, bonus I guess, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares?

Over the hears I've received Just Cause 2, Dirt 3, Dead Space, Hawx2, Blazing Angels 2 and Resident Evil 5 with video cards, and then proceeded to never even fire up any of them.

Maybe that'st just because I have a different taste in games than most, but there it is.

For me, game highlights over the last 10 years or so have been:
- Counter-Strike: Source
- Half Life 2 (+episodes)
- Red Orchestra
- Civilization IV (+expansions)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series
- Fallout 3
- Civilization V (+expansions)
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
- Metro 2033
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Metro Last Light
- Counter-Strike: GO

Don't get me wrong, I put a decent amount of hours into games, but only into very specific titles, which I have several hundred hours in.

And that's about it. haven't really played or even been interested in playing anything else.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041587611 said:
Have any of you seriously ever made the decision of which video card to buy based on which games they gave away with it?
I'm on the fence.
I don't care about the games, but being able to sell them for $30/each basically means Nvidia cards now cost $60 less in my mind.

To me, that obsoletes AMD. Take the current GTX 970 price and subtract $60 from it, suddenly the 290X loses its appeal. But we have yet to see the 300 series, so... Maybe I'm wrong.
So it's not about the games / brand preference / "your needs". It's simple cash.

I'm on the fence.
I don't care about the games, but being able to sell them for $30/each basically means Nvidia cards now cost $60 less in my mind.

To me, that obsoletes AMD. Take the current GTX 970 price and subtract $60 from it, suddenly the 290X loses its appeal. But we have yet to see the 300 series, so... Maybe I'm wrong.
So it's not about the games / brand preference / "your needs". It's simple cash.

So go and buy the card and stop whining on amd forums.

Someone is buying 290x's still, the prices have actually gone UP since I bought mine not long after the 970 came out lol....

I can't buy a card that doesn't exist yet.
The bundle runs until June 1st.

Well it's pretty much guaranteed you won't see the 300 series until late June. Since you're not too optimistic about the 300 series, might as well jump on the bundle while it lasts.

Last edited:
Then there this... more AMD love.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-zen-cpu-radeon-hbm,29053.html

drop into a new AM4 CPU socket, and have support for DDR4 memory.

40 percent more instructions per clock than its predecessor. AMD CTO Mark Papermaster said that it would have simultaneous multithreading for high throughput, along with a new high-bandwidth low-latency cache system.

.. man im excited

Glad i waited so long to upgrade... looks like an AM4 board is in my future :)

Last edited:
Finally, some official news.

Looks like AMD's next gen will be launching in Q2 with HBM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9235/amd-to-launch-new-desktop-gpu-this-quarter-q215-with-hbm

Though I currently own a GTX970 (I buy whatever is the best value for the amount I'm willing to spend at the time), it's good to see AMD finally coming out with products that will drive better performance to lower price points.

woohoo, some REAL news finally, I Guess now we have 2 "for sures"

1) HBM

2) this Quarter (in the next 1.5 months)

\\

Does Anyone know if i will be able to crossfire my 390X with a 7970 GHz?

Are you kidding or being serious?

IF Kidding, haha...

IF not, No to CrossFire, but Direct X 12 will have something for using multiple video cards regardless of their brand or model.

AM4 with 40% more IPC?

"Heavens, it appears my wee-wee has been stricken with rigor mortis."
-- Stewie

I haven't kept up with OEM builds. I assume the 200-series was sold as-is and the 300-series is experiencing a name change.

You sell existing products to OEMs in high volume, not new/soon to be released products that have low supply.

Good god, 380 is a 285 rebrand? Hoping that isn't right, but those specs all point that way.

Good god, 380 is a 285 rebrand? Hoping that isn't right, but those specs all point that way.

The rumor mill suggest same pattern as with 2xx series - 7970 became OCed, upgraded and was rebranded to 280x. Now 290X will propably get same treatment and becomes 380X, 285 becomes 380, and only 390/390X will be new cards.

hell yeah.. pure crap...!!! 380 its really a rebranded 285 crap...

lol i thought we all assumed this for quite some time;)...390s on the other hand should be new cards and not rebrands at least

The rumor mill suggest same pattern as with 2xx series - 7970 became OCed, upgraded and was rebranded to 280x. Now 290X will propably get same treatment and becomes 380X, 285 becomes 380, and only 390/390X will be new cards.

then the jump from 380 to 380X would be too big.. it make no sense really, a different history with the 7900 series.. the 7950 as 280 and 7970 as 280X was logical.. as it should be 290 as 380 and 290X as 380X. the 285 its the type of card that should be launched as a lower-end series as much as R9 370...

lol i thought we all assumed this for quite some time;)...390s on the other hand should be new cards and not rebrands at least

I was hoping a fully 290 and 290X rebranded to 380 and 380X respectively..

official pic of WCE:

11212591_101538556869twu11.jpg

It says WCCFTech right in the middle which means it's not official.
I could find that picture at the bottom of a cereal box and it would be more official than WCCFTech.

So we have 2 renders, one which might be fake, and a placeholder image on an AMD slide.
Things are looking up.

So, 300 series is oem only? Like both amd and Nvidia have done in recent years.

The typical rumor sites are really on the ball as always. Lol

It says WCCFTech right in the middle which means it's not official.
I could find that picture at the bottom of a cereal box and it would be more official than WCCFTech.

i know someone who has seen the actual card and told me that this is it... the tubes are plastic by the way, like in those cheap all-in-one kits.

i know someone who has seen the actual card and told me that this is it... the tubes are plastic by the way, like in those cheap all-in-one kits.

Can't believe I have to say this to you again... all water cooling tubes/hoses are plastic, with the exception of the extreme modders that use pipes.

^ fiji water!

Can't believe I have to say this to you again... all water cooling tubes/hoses are plastic, with the exception of the extreme modders that use pipes.

u know what i mean... the hard plastic kind that that doesn't bend well and kinks easily

and i think fiji pro is fan only while fiji xt is WCE

Back