390X AMD Video Card-when will come out?

Please show any evidence of that at all? Post up your theories.

When Nvidia have the 980ti ready they will release it, no matter what AMD have out. Most rumour sites have it coming in December while AMD aren't due to release anything until February.

Well, my theories are just that: theories. I'll explain.

In the computer performance market, performance isn't worth anything: position is. It doesn't matter if you have something that is 110% faster than the competition, that product will still make as much money as if it were only 10%. Because the money is in the positioning of being faster, not by how much. So if you are Nvidia, and you have a really, REALLY fast new architecture that will run circles around your competition, why release it in all of its glory? Manufacture a slightly slower version that only beats the comp by 10-15% and you will get the same sales. If you release the balls-to-the-walls best you can do now, you just lost the opportunity to cash in on the smaller, incremental upgrades. This has the added benefit of having a product waiting in the shadows so you can strike as soon as the competition releases their top-end product.

What would the 'incremental product' like this look like? Well, it would have a really low TDP, it would have a comparatively narrow memory bus, it would have tons of overclocking headroom (because the stock specs make it sit at that 10-15% advantage even I it has room to go further) and it would be priced quite high.

Sound like something?

Yeah, considering that the 780, 780ti, Titan and Titan Black were the same GPU and pretty much the same card I would say KazeoHin is spot on.

NVIDIA could ship the 980Ti whenever they want.

Yeah, considering that the 780, 780ti, Titan and Titan Black were the same GPU and pretty much the same card I would say KazeoHin is spot on.

Remember, Nvidia released the Titan in response to the Ghz edition 7970. Then released the 780Ti in response to the 290x. Both times Nvidia has had a response waiting.

Does anyone think something has changed?

I have 1100 and 1550 on a 7950 boost on a 20 percent power limit, no volt mod and honestly I am not even artifact-ing yet. Honestly though I still hate the card. Just saying you could go higher on a 7970 or should be able to.

I love amd cards I can hardly wait for the 390X msi lightning to come out....

my 7970be msi lightning is good enough for me 1100x1500 no adjustments with voltages

Mostly just rumors.

Well have to see how they release them.

It took a good 3 months for the 290/x AIBs to show up after the reference release.

Going from a 7970 to a 390x should net you close to 30% improvement i would guess assuming the 390x is at least 15% better than the 290x

Considering the R9-290x has 2,816 shaders vs 2,048 on the 7970. The difference is quite large 37.5% more shaders, larger memory bus small improvements to the shaders themselves. Basically there is no comparison between the 7970 and the R9-290x. I went from 7950 Crossfire to a Single R9-290 under water and performance pretty much stayed the same.

as for the 390x who knows, very little information has come out about it. Usually that means its not near release. I'd guess late q1-2015 for a time table.

I'm happy for AMD to take their time, to be honest. Gives me time to save up and replace my 7970.

While they definitely could ship a 1400-1500mhz boosted GTX980Ti and get another 10-15% more performance out of it, it would likely be a +250w TDP part (or 225w TDP according to Nvidia) without very specialized binning.
I think it is more likely they shrink GM204 to 16FF and do something similar but cut the die size down to 250-280mm2 and keep the power consumption of a theoretical 1.4-1.5ghz GTX980Ti under a 200w TDP (maybe around a real 180w TDP).

I expect to see a very balanced GPU from Fiji and likely some very different shader configurations from Hawaii and Tonga.

While they definitely could ship a 1400-1500mhz boosted GTX980Ti and get another 10-15% more performance out of it, it would likely be a +250w TDP part (or 225w TDP according to Nvidia) without very specialized binning.
I think it is more likely they shrink GM204 to 16FF and do something similar but cut the die size down to 250-280mm2 and keep the power consumption of a theoretical 1.4-1.5ghz GTX980Ti under a 200w TDP (maybe around a real 180w TDP).

I expect to see a very balanced GPU from Fiji and likely some very different shader configurations from Hawaii and Tonga.

nvidia never made a titanium (TI) version only by increasing the core clock... it always have at least 1 or 2 extra SMX (now SMM with maxwell)

nvidia still have in hand the GM200 (GK110 successor) and with 384bus 20-22 SMM (2560-2816 Cores) they have there a clearly candidate for a GTX 980TI and/or GTX TITAN II if they want.

HEY JUST GOT ALERTED BY NEWEGG PRICE DROP 290X LIGHTNING 399......THIS MEANS THE 390X MIGHT BE COMING SOON?

nope, just market adjustments by the AIBs

This.. in fact AMD did not drop the prices of 290 and 290X.. was AIBs who made those promotions recommended by AMD to keep price competitive.. and are limited timed BTW..

I love amd cards I can hardly wait for the 390X msi lightning to come out....

my 7970be msi lightning is good enough for me 1100x1500 no adjustments with voltages

but not enough to even close to the performance of a GTX 780 Lightning.. My 280X card can do easy 1200 core, 1700 memory.. I use it at 1150 core /1650 Mem undervolted and my GTX 780 its still way way faster... probably just a Placebo? as you have the idea of nvidia cards run crappy with AMD boards... but thats far to be true, lot of people run AMD processors with nvidia cards.. (more even actually with the gtx 970 in the market).

nvidia never made a titanium (TI) version only by increasing the core clock... it always have at least 1 or 2 extra SMX (now SMM with maxwell)

nvidia still have in hand the GM200 (GK110 successor) and with 384bus 20-22 SMM (2560-2816 Cores) they have there a clearly candidate for a GTX 980TI and/or GTX TITAN II if they want.

True about the Ti but the Ti designation has become the new "refresh" designation over the older GTX xx5.

They also don't have GM200/210 "in-hand" in mass production... They also wouldn't refresh the GTX9x0 lineup with a GM200/210, they will likely be redoing their branding.

This, along with TWIMTBP, PhysX, 3D Vision, etc.... is why I don't buy NVIDIA GPUS.

I have always had bad Luck with NVidia, so I gave it a try with the N780 (not Ti model)
I loaded with cd drivers and software, was very disappointed, for some reason they run better on Intel, my opinion....
my 7970BE Lightning MSI is at 1100core clock x1500 mem. in my opinion AMD GPU's always run better with all my amd boards CH5,CH4, CH3...
SNAP FAST EXUCUTION, i'm not a video expert like you guys just a user....AMD all the way for me from all my experiences :)

Cool story except nvidia drivers work better on multicore configurations and are faster on amd cpus than amd own cards.

What an absurd statement

links please to back up this non-sense.

Last edited:
What an absurd statement

links please to back up this non-sense.

when I had my n780 (non ti) I had a collage kid who's intel freak, he came and checked it out, he even loaded drivers his way with driver cleaners 1st then picked some drivers his way on my supercomputer, even at higher clock speeds than my lightning 7970 be.......something was not right, I was disappointed, we called MSI which is right down the street from where I live, talked to tech....he even said check this and that we did, he did not think the card was bad......that's the way it works sometimes he said...or send for RMA..........I put back my lightning 7970be and I was happy again......it's that simple for me...you have a right to speak your stuff.
this is for the post above Mac......
THANKS MAC!

i5skqr.jpg

Last edited:
Hit the nail on the head. Anyone who thinks Nvidia doesn't have a response to any of AMD's new offerings are deluding themselves. It's actually quite funny when topics like these pop up: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1763470

Topics similar to that are everywhere. Just google "Titan owners burned" or "780ti Titan feel cheated" - the rebuttals are so amusing. Nothing like dropping $1k video card to game on and being obsolete in 9 months. (inb4 Hurrdurr Titan is not a gaming card (source)

I'm not sure how Titan was "waiting" for 7970Ghz or even a real response to it...

7970Ghz was released in June '12.
Titan was released in Feb '13.

Also, 780Ti wasn't waiting either. It was a base metal respin of GK110 and luckily they were able to get it mass produced with 1 respin.
It just happened to be ready shortly after AMD released Hawaii. If they would have needed another respin it would have been another few months before their "waiting response" was ready.

Hit the nail on the head. Anyone who thinks Nvidia doesn't have a response to any of AMD's new offerings are deluding themselves. It's actually quite funny when topics like these pop up: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1763470

Topics similar to that are everywhere. Just google "Titan owners burned" or "780ti Titan feel cheated" - the rebuttals are so amusing. Nothing like dropping $1k video card to game on and being obsolete in 9 months. (inb4 Hurrdurr Titan is not a gaming card) (source)

Remember the 5870. Do you consider 6mos having a response? There are no absolutes between these companies. They are as competitive as any 2 companies I've ever seen. Sometimes one or the other jumps ahead, but the advantage is short lived.

@LordEC911 / Relayer

Both of you missed my point. I was emphasizing that Nvidia will even burn their own customers to respond to AMD's offerings. Release dates of the GeForce GTX Titan was on February 19, 2013, and the GeForce GTX 780 on May 23, 2013. People bought the GTX Titan because it was marketed as flagship gaming which follows to last at least 1-2 years. This was obviously shot down immediately.

7970GHz was to counter the GTX680, performance was debatable (Nvidia didn't feel like they needed to counter).

780Ti was released on November 7, 2013 to counter the R9 290X which was launched on October 15, 2013.

The 5870 was released on September 23, 2009. This would probably be the only one where Nvidia failed horribly and dropped the ball. The GTX 480 was finally released on March 26, 2010 after several delays.

The 6970 was expected to be released on November 12, 2010. These release dates were pushed further back and Cayman was released on December 15, 2010. The GTX 580 was released November 9, 2010. This is a non-issue as their releases were within the same season.

If I was into multiGPU and bought multi Titans I wouldn't have felt burned since it has 6GB of Ram, and the 780ti was $730 for reference I believe.... not exactly that much cheaper. DP is nice, but I don't use it.

I guess nvidia prices reached these obscene levels because people payed them, for whatever reason. The depreciation on those single GPU cards is just phenomenal in dollar figures, then add in what nvidia did by low balling their new cards to try and shake up AMD's strong autumn games lineup and this is what we are at.

Bizarre market conditions, but nvidia was also smart by also severely torpedoing their own used market to make it less appealing, and for them to sell more New cards. Sucks for their customers, but it looks like their marketing department was prepped and ready to deflect criticism. All in all everything was pretty well executed for them so far.

@LordEC911 / Relayer

Both of you missed my point. I was emphasizing that Nvidia will even burn their own customers to respond to AMD's offerings. Release dates of the GeForce GTX Titan was on February 19, 2013, and the GeForce GTX 780 on May 23, 2013. People bought the GTX Titan because it was marketed as flagship gaming which follows to last at least 1-2 years. This was obviously shot down immediately.

7970GHz was to counter the GTX680, performance was debatable (Nvidia didn't feel like they needed to counter).

780Ti was released on November 7, 2013 to counter the R9 290X which was launched on October 15, 2013.

The 5870 was released on September 23, 2009. This would probably be the only one where Nvidia failed horribly and dropped the ball. The GTX 480 was finally released on March 26, 2010 after several delays.

The 6970 was expected to be released on November 12, 2010. These release dates were pushed further back and Cayman was released on December 15, 2010. The GTX 580 was released November 9, 2010. This is a non-issue as their releases were within the same season.

I doubt NVidia prepared a card in 1 month, more like they launched an obscenely overpriced card for the holiday season, they would have probably launched it regardless of AMDs offering, on top of that, it barely edged out the 290x, and lost in 4k gaming, and cost $200 more, so not really a counter.

the only counter they made, was to drop the price of the 780.

I doubt NVidia prepared a card in 1 month, more like they launched an obscenely overpriced card for the holiday season, they would have probably launched it regardless of AMDs offering, on top of that, it barely edged out the 290x, and lost in 4k gaming, and cost $200 more, so not really a counter.

the only counter they made, was to drop the price of the 780.

can you re-fresh my memory about the 390X release date approx.?
thanks! :confused:

Does NVIDIA even have a product out yet in the Tesla line up using a full GM200? Because I can guarantee they won't release a GM200 graphics card until they A) have a Tesla board using the product and B) have enough inventory to keep their pipelines full. Those boards go for many thousands of dollars, while even the highest end Titan has only retailed for $1000. They won't allocate GM200 chips for consumer stuff until they are manufacturing enough to saturate the Telsa market.

I don't know how often Nvidia updates their Tesla range, it may be less frequently as it is a high-level enterprise part. But you make a point: the GM200 chip may not be ready, but I don't think AMD can take the chance by thinking that way.

Back