3900XT high idle temperatures

Nmkz

n00b
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker but never posted before!
I recently got a Ryzen 3900XT / Aorus master x570 / G.skill 3600 memory / NZXT Z73 AIO cooler on my rig and I am noticing high temps on idle (basically around 55-60).
I have used liquid metal in the past (with my intel processors) so I have used it again between the IHS and the copper plate of the AIO.
I observed that the temps are somehow changing constantly from 61 down to 50 (or sometimes 48). Does anyone know if that is a normal behavior for the 3900XT?

I have used different power plan profiles but it doesn’t make much difference.
I don’t run any overclocking besides having PBO to auto. Any ideas or helpwould be much appreciated as I’d hate to think that my chip might be faulty.
Thanks again!

How are you monitoring temps? Not sure you realize this but barring a physical mount issue, these cpus cannot be monitored by typical means. Edit judging by how you describe temps jumping all over the place, you are definitely seeing observer effects. Check thread below, I touch on most of the topics and also link how to setup hwinfo w/i ab/rtss.

How can I get the most out of my 3700x? | [H]ard|Forum

Reactions: Nmkz
like this
How are you monitoring temps? Not sure you realize this but barring a physical mount issue, these cpus cannot be monitored by typical means. Edit judging by how you describe temps jumping all over the place, you are definitely seeing observer effects. Check thread below, I touch on most of the topics and also link how to setup hwinfo w/i ab/rtss.

Hey !

Thanks for helping out! I am monitoring with either Ryzen Master and /or HWinfo

I will check the thread for sure!

Thanks a lot for the help !

Not that I'm suggesting this happened to you, but I got a 3900x that ran at temps almost 10 degrees celcius higher than another 3900x I was binning in CB20. I remounted that thing many times. I even tested a carbon pad to take bad TIM application out of the equation.

Hot 3900x

Not that I'm suggesting this happened to you, but I got a 3900x that ran at temps almost 10 degrees celcius higher than another 3900x I was binning in CB20. I remounted that thing many times. I even tested a carbon pad to take bad TIM application out of the equation.

Hot 3900x
So what was the problem then? Did you figure out eventually?

Hi everyone,
I recently got a Ryzen 3900XT / Aorus master x570 / G.skill 3600 memory / NZXT Z73 AIO cooler on my rig and I am noticing high temps on idle (basically around 55-60).
I have used liquid metal in the past (with my intel processors) so I have used it again between the IHS and the copper plate of the AIO.
I observed that the temps are somehow changing constantly from 61 down to 50 (or sometimes 48). Does anyone know if that is a normal behavior for the 3900XT?

I don’t run any overclocking besides having PBO to auto. Any ideas or helpwould be much appreciated as I’d hate to think that my chip might be faulty.
Thanks again!

temps don't seem bad but honestly i'd just turn PBO off, it doesn't really do much to help the higher core count chips and has a tendency to lower your all core boost clocks. the jumping is pretty normal since windows scheduler constantly cycles load between random cores causing them to go in and out of sleep state. as far as the profiles go try setting within the profile the minimum cpu state to 5% which should allow it to park more cores while idle. see if that helps otherwise i'd focus more on full load temps, the chiplets have a lot of trouble transferring heat to the IHS so sudden load spikes are much more noticeable. personally i'd just ignore the idle temps for the most part.

also because you have the XT chip you might want to consider playing around with the voltage offsets and see how low you can get it at max boost and full load. i believe the auto voltage in bios is a bit higher than what the 3900XT could likely run at given XT chips are guaranteed to have the better quality dies.

like this
So what was the problem then? Did you figure out eventually?
I actually returned it to amazon. To me, it was defective. It would thermal shutdown the system under heavy loads. I don't think you're at that level are you?

Have you messed with power plans at all? You may want to check out this one. 1usmus Ryzen 3000 power plan

temps don't seem bad but honestly i'd just turn PBO off, it doesn't really do much to help the higher core count chips and has a tendency to lower your all core boost clocks. the jumping is pretty normal since windows scheduler constantly cycles load between random cores causing them to go in and out of sleep state. as far as the profiles go try setting within the profile the minimum cpu state to 5% which should allow it to park more cores while idle. see if that helps otherwise i'd focus more on full load temps, the chiplets have a lot of trouble transferring heat to the IHS so sudden load spikes are much more noticeable. personally i'd just ignore the idle temps for the most part.

also because you have the XT chip you might want to consider playing around with the voltage offsets and see how low you can get it at max boost and full load. i believe the auto voltage in bios is a bit higher than what the 3900XT could likely run at given XT chips are guaranteed to have the better quality dies.
Cheers man, really appreciated. I will monitor and see what I get. I have remounted my AIO and used new Kryonaut paste. I ll see where it gets me in 2 days or so untill it settles. I was under the impression that liquid metal would do better job but until now I dont see really difference in temperatures. (I did see massive drop in temps with my previous Intel chips though hence I used it).
I have now turned off PBO from bios - i suppose Precision Boost2 is active now, and I am using Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. I did see 2 cores going to 4.775 and the rest at 4.6 (different intervals) - which I suppose are just instant values which mean nothing.

Thanks again for the input really appreciated. Seems to me that switching to AMD means I have to re learn many things :) which is not a bad thing!

I actually returned it to amazon. To me, it was defective. It would thermal shutdown the system under heavy loads. I don't think you're at that level are you?

Have you messed with power plans at all? You may want to check out this one. 1usmus Ryzen 3000 power plan
I have used Cinebench 20 for 3 hours and the temps are around 73 degrees. I didnt see any shut down. I have used 1usmus power plan but in all honesty by reading TheSmokingMan's threads (just linked above) i saw that Martyn from HWinfo mentioned that this power plan has some issues. AMD recommends their own balanced plan.
I will make some more testing and will see whats going on. Definitely confused about what works and what doesnt by now :) seems to me that an all auto approach is the best..lol :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread !

Very informative all the links you provided ! thanks a bunch! I now understand a bit better and I have set up HWinfo and RTSS to show these values. I have also disabled polling and I will see where it gets me.
Again many thanks!

While your idle temps seem higher than most it seems your R20 testing temps are fine. My 3900X idles between 38-48C and stays under 55-60C during most workloads. In R20 it will climb to around 71C with my AIO and all cooling fans at 100% RPM at that temp. My AIO runs at 50% RPM normally so it keeps the temps down and my coolant temp around 25-26C with ambient around 21-22C. So depending on your ambient and coolant temps and fan speeds you may be fine idle temp wise. I also check my CPU temps in HWInfo64. My 3900X is setup using the EDC bug so it is being pushed more than stock and has higher temps and speeds at all core full loaf, up to 4.275Ghz at 100% load.

like this
those idle temps seem off. i have the same hardware except using an h100i and my idle is fluctuates between 29 and 33. at load i top out in the upper 60s and im just using some old mx4 paste i found in my drawer.

Pop a hwinfo or similar screenshot for us at idle.
Assuming you haven't locked your vcore at 1.35+, locked all core speed to 4.1ghz+, your aio isn't running in silent mode, and something running in the background isn't poking you to constant boost those idle temps are a bit high.

like this
Pop a hwinfo or similar screenshot for us at idle.
Assuming you haven't locked your vcore at 1.35+, locked all core speed to 4.1ghz+, your aio isn't running in silent mode, and something running in the background isn't poking you to constant boost those idle temps are a bit high.
I ll do that as soon as I get back from work - thanks for the idea. All BIOS values are in AUTO except for the memory voltage (1.45) as I cant get POST on my sticks at 3800 /1900 IF for 14/13/13/26 ( I have tried also 2133 24/24/24/24 as stock/auto but doesnt make any difference). AIO is on 100 % fan speed / 100 % pump speed with side panels off in push config / exhaust.

PS: It's been around 1 week since I have used thermal paste instead of liquid metal on the IHS/AIO Copper plate. I have seen a difference of 2-3 degrees (at most) towards a lower temperature but nothing spectacular. I am not sure if there is proper contact between the IHS/Copper plate or what. I m really confused now and I am wondering if I need to RMA the chip to Amazon ( my window for return is August 15th)

Run your build for 10-20mins to heat up your paste, wiggle the aio block to break the Tim free, make sure the protective plastic sheet was pulled from the aio cooler plate.

Verify you used the correct mounting hardware, hardware is properly torqued, reapply paste, remount.

Run your build for 10-20mins to heat up your paste, wiggle the aio block to break the Tim free, make sure the protective plastic sheet was pulled from the aio cooler plate.

Verify you used the correct mounting hardware, hardware is properly torqued, reapply paste, remount.
Thanks for the reply! I have done all of what you suggest 2-3 times by now. I am sure the paste is properly set and the mounting pressure is correct.

Thanks for the reply! I have done all of what you suggest 2-3 times by now. I am sure the paste is properly set and the mounting pressure is correct.

Check the direction of the fans.
If they aren't intake, rather exhausting from within the case, check the direction of the intake fans as well.

You can also sanity check with an air cooler if you kept your Prism.
If the Prism runs cooler then you need to RMA the aio if fans are in proper orientation.

Starting to sound like you have the same problem I did that I posted above, assuming your AIO isn't broken.

like this
Starting to sound like you have the same problem I did that I posted above, assuming your AIO isn't broken.
Just saw your message, I m still at work and didnt have time to post pictures etc. I have mounted the AIO with paste again but I honestly do not see any difference. I was contemplating lapping the IHS or / and the AIO copper plate... I really dont know what to do :(
I suppose these temps are not breaking my pc but I really dont understand why so high at idle.

Just saw your message, I m still at work and didnt have time to post pictures etc. I have mounted the AIO with paste again but I honestly do not see any difference. I was contemplating lapping the IHS or / and the AIO copper plate... I really dont know what to do :(
I suppose these temps are not breaking my pc but I really dont understand why so high at idle.

Do not physically alter your cpu if it’s behavior can be demonstrated as faulty.
You RMA it, or return it to the retailer, whatever the case may be.

Dude, is the OP even looking at the right sensor? OP said he read the link I posted, but who knows? What are you using to see these high temps with? Post a screen of the cpu temps portion of hwinfo whilst doing a Cinebench R20 run.

like this
Dude, is the OP even looking at the right sensor? OP said he read the link I posted, but who knows? What are you using to see these high temps with? Post a screen of the cpu temps portion of hwinfo whilst doing a Cinebench R20 run.

I don’t know what he is looking at.
I asked him to post screens.
A shot of his build would help out also bc he states his aio fans and pump are 100%, so I question orientation of his aio fans.
I also question orientation of his intake fans if he’s running the radiator in the roof.

No way should PBO register the heat he is seeing at idle and not throttle down.

I question what power plan Windows is running on.

like this
Do not physically alter your cpu if it’s behavior can be demonstrated as faulty.
You RMA it, or return it to the retailer, whatever the case may be.

I am honestly confused as to what he can RMA this for. It is running withing Spec so what is the problem, other than higher idle temps than other people? Is the chip failing in some way? He is also comparing an XT to other people who have X chips. Do we really have enough data as to what the XT chips run at? I really see no issue here as the max temps running R20 seem to be right there in the range as other X chips.

like this
I have a 3900XT, and using non-hwinfo monitoring tools, my temps were pretty similar (idle between 48-60C using a corsair 240MM AIO, slightly lower with a bequiet! DRP4). It would jump lower to ~45 and then spike to 55-58 with almost zero load.

With the settings thesmokingman specified in HWinfo, average die temp stays idle in lower 40's, and at full R20 load is low 70's. This is with all 6 case fans running silent (back fan input into heatpipe, top 2 & front 3 exhaust).

Sorry for the long delays guys but I ran into some real life problems and I wasnt able to get to my computer. I have now some time in my hands and I tested a few things.
1. The temps I was looking from HWinfo were on CPU die average and also was keeping an eye on CPU CCD1/2 Tdie temps. I kind of did not take into consideration CPU TCL/TDIE after reading all the stuff I was provided by all the helpful posts before.
2. I have tested the fan orientation on both intake and exhaust and the difference was minimal (less than 2 degress)
3. Power plans (I have tested 1usmus, AMD's high and balanced from the windows update 2004) - again the AMD balanced is the better one (I read that AMD has incorporated 1usmus plan to their latest chipset) basically better temps (4-5 degrees) at idle.
4. After reading as much as I could the past few days I am now convinced that the 39000XT runs at these temps but does not harm the chip in any way.

I have also done some all core overclocking and I have found that I can hit 4.5 all core with 1.356 voltage and my temps are (seemingly on HWinfo) sitting at 40 celcius idle...

What I deduct from all this is that the chip cannot be fully monitored when PBO / C states / AMD cool and Quiet is running through HWinfo - (not that it is a bad program) but it is because AMD has made it like this.

In conclusion I reckon after all this effort and help I got from all the members that these chips are basically desgined like this. I might be wrong but never in my experiments with my chip have I seen difference in temps when playing with PBO settings / XFR etc. The biggest impact was the voltage.

When I have left everything in AUTO (bios) I would get all these 'weird' temp behaviours. As soon as I have manually dialed in voltages then lo and behold the temps have gone done to 37 degrees (with ambient around 22-25).

Thank you everyone for all the help provided!

I hope I ll be helpful in the future as you guys have been helpful to me!

I have also done some all core overclocking and I have found that I can hit 4.5 all core with 1.356 voltage and my temps are (seemingly on HWinfo) sitting at 40 celcius idle...

You are going to fry that chip. Judging bny how little technical info you actually post each time, I don't think you actually want help but I have to point out that that use of voltage is way over the fit maximum for any Ryzen.

You are going to fry that chip. Judging bny how little technical info you actually post each time, I don't think you actually want help but I have to point out that that use of voltage is way over the fit maximum for any Ryzen.
Hi!
I am sorry if I wasnt clear with the answers I posted, didnt mean to confuse anyone or not to post any technical details. The chip can hit 4.5 all core and sits idle at 40 degree (which I didnt understand at first).
I am not (and will not) use this OC to do any work or gaming. I was just experimenting to see what was actually going on with the idle temperatures, nothing more than that.
I did want help and you have pointed me to the right direction :) I have now read quite a lot of threads and gathered nice information.
Thank sincerely thank you again for all the help.

PS: the bottom line from all of this is that these chips have specifications which are very strict and are constructed in a way that one cant really gain much without losing energy efficiency etc. What I take from all this reading and experimenting is that I will leave everything at auto and just dial in the best possible memory timings which are proven to give a benefit.

Hi everyone,

Thanks again!

Really depends on various factors.

1. Correct thermal compound + seating of the aio
2. Proper airflow in the case
3. Whats your ambient temperature (this is a huge one)?
4. Do you have other background processes that are running?

I too have a 3900XT on a Asus x570 TUF Plus Wifi, with a Noctua NH-U12A. With everything on stock (except ram at 3600 and fabric at 1800) my idle temps vary from 30-34 on the low end with nothing running, and spike up to 45 from occasion.

Shoot, I'm custom water-cooled with a 360mm 50mm thick rad and my 3950x minimum temperature is 38.5C and that probably happened in the middle of the night with ambient of 23C. Right now with me doing nothing but posting this and running HWINFO next to the browser, it literally just hit 60C and made the fans spin up. It seems to be bouncing around between 45C and 50C with ambient of 25C while I'm watching it here. Kind of pisses me off, especially when the fans spin up for no apparent reason with nothing going on, but I haven't found a way to fix it yet. Load temps are fine though.

Also, if I were to fire up CB20 right now, I'd score under 9000. It should be getting 9165 or there abouts stock according to all reviews. Not trying to hijack your thread. It just makes me wonder sometimes how so many people get such wide variations in performance and temps with very similar equipment.

maybe 3000 series but thats normal for a 1/2000.

This thread is about the 3900xt.

PS: the bottom line from all of this is that these chips have specifications which are very strict and are constructed in a way that one cant really gain much without losing energy efficiency etc. What I take from all this reading and experimenting is that I will leave everything at auto and just dial in the best possible memory timings which are proven to give a benefit.

You know you can also ride the PBO train to get the same performance of an all core overclock that you'd use for benching. Except you get the gains daily and you don't lose single core perf.

This thread is about the 3900xt.

You know you can also ride the PBO train to get the same performance of an all core overclock that you'd use for benching. Except you get the gains daily and you don't lose single core perf.
he man,
i just wanted to thank you for correcting me a month and a half late...
pend (y)

Back