3900x/x570 boot times

[Paragon]

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just jumped back on to the AMD bandwagon after running Intel chips for a few years. Picked up 3900x and a Gigabyte x570 wifi Pro. Can any one tell me what the actual fuck is going on with the x570 boot times? Damn thing just kind of hangs at the Bios splash screen (45.5 seconds last boot per windows) until finally decided to load windows. Sometimes it doesn't even want to load windows, just ramps fans up to 100% and never sends a signal to the video card.

How in the world do I fix this nonsense? Latest Bios (F30), all drivers and Windows up to date. No overclocking at the moment, running XMP1 on the G. Skill Trident ram (F4-3600C18D-32GTZN). This crap is making me want to go back to Intel.

Also Ryzen master, what are the things I really should do with it to get the best performance from this thing (might be too broad of a question).

3900x
Gigabyte x570 Wifi Pro
32gb G. Skill Trident
2080ti
970 evo pro
850 evo ssd
mushkin 1tb ssd
Soundblaster zx
Corsair RM850i

Windows set to use all cores on boot?

That boot time is long and none of my combos have that issue. 3700X/B550, 2700X/X470, 1600/B450. But all of those are Asus boards.

Yeah you have something set wrong, my sig rig takes all of about 20ish seconds to boot up to desktop. Might want to make sure you are booting from the correct drive in the bios along with having fastboot on.

bioses up to date? disconnect any extra drives/devices and see how it acts?

Ultra fast boot enabled, windows is currently installed on the 850 ssd and that's first boot device. I'll turn off xmp and see if that helps, as well as disconnecting everything but the gpu and the boot drive

Does it have a timer for the splash screen in bios settings? Can also try limiting the memory fail retry attempts to 1.

What else is on the board? That sounds like it's polling drives or the like.

I have fastboot disabled on purpose and my computer boots into usable windows from being turned off in < 30 seconds. My BIOS flash screen is so fast that I've actually missed it while wanting to get into the UEFI.

Somethings definitely weird on your end.

For context, I currently have 6 hard drives and 4 NVME drives - so the extra load time shouldn't be from loading up all of your drives.
3900X, X570 Taichi and 48GB of ram (XMP default.)

Last edited:
CSM disabled?

Did you update your bios or reset cmos and not disable CSM?

I've never had xmp contribute to a slow boot, ram issues have been binary with ryzen.

I have a similar problem. It doesn’t hang at the splash screen, but the memory training takes way too long.
On a reboot, it takes approx 30-40 seconds to get into windows.
3900x auros x570 elite and 64gb ram with m.2 SSD
I assumed it was just an x570 thing as I’ve read of plenty of other people complaining about the same issue.

I have a similar problem. It doesn’t hang at the splash screen, but the memory training takes way too long.
On a reboot, it takes approx 30-40 seconds to get into windows.
3900x auros x570 elite and 64gb ram with m.2 SSD
I assumed it was just an x570 thing as I’ve read of plenty of other people complaining about the same issue.
wonder if setting all the timings manually would help in that case.

Does it have a timer for the splash screen in bios settings? Can also try limiting the memory fail retry attempts to 1.
also good suggestions and if there is any RAM post testing option make sure its set to quick

Memory training shouldn’t shift any thing written to table on its own, that would trigger a retry.
Fast boot loosely ignores or topically checks to see if there’s change, among truncating other tests.

After you check that CSM is off, enable fast boot, boot problem persists then set whatever 3200 xmp option is there.

Unplugged everything, pulled CMOS battery to reset. Plugged it all back in, booted in 10 seconds on stock CMOS. Turned XMP back on, it's been running solid since. Guess it just wanted a CMOS clear, I'll keep an eye on it. Appreciate all the advice and help folks. Cheers.

I have fastboot disabled on purpose and my computer boots into usable windows from being turned off in < 30 seconds. My BIOS flash screen is so fast that I've actually missed it while wanting to get into the UEFI.

Somethings definitely weird on your end.

For context, I currently have 6 hard drives and 4 NVME drives - so the extra load time shouldn't be from loading up all of your drives.
3900X, X570 Taichi and 48GB of ram (XMP default.)
TheSlySyl Very, very impressive rig.:cry: I am sooooooooo jealous. What are your main applications?

TheSlySyl Very, very impressive rig.:cry: I am sooooooooo jealous. What are your main applications?
A bit of everything. Main use is as a gaming/streaming machine (with real time transcoding) as well as a Plex server and also a minecraft server. I use my resources well.
Can't wait to upgrade to an rtx 3080 (maybe a 20gb?) Or a amd 6900xt In the next few months.

I mainly play Monster Hunter World, which is crazy intensive as it is.

Back