39" inch 4K Ultra HD HDTV UHD 2160p LED TV DISPLAY - $600

the 39" has had issues with frame skipping but AFAIK they are working on a new firmware version, the 50" has a good community behind it and a lot of people have managed to overclock it.

Either way great prices for 4k, especially if someone makes a custom motherboard with hdmi 2.0 down the road

what do you do with a 4k display when there is no 4k content? heck 90% of content is not even 1080p.

This seems to good to be true. Does this tv do 12 or 24hz at 4k instead of like 120hz like most gaming monitors?

This seems to good to be true. Does this tv do 12 or 24hz at 4k instead of like 120hz like most gaming monitors?

We aren't going to see a 4k TV with a 120hz capable INPUT for a long while. Years most likely.

Some 4k tvs will have the stupid frame interpolation badness, but this and most TVs like it can only drive 4k at 30 hz. The bandwidth required to do 4k with a 120hz signal is prohibitive.

For example, you step into another budget tier when looking for 60+hz. The sharp 4k monitor which can do 60hz via displayport 1.2 is like $3-4k.

Last edited:
what do you do with a 4k display when there is no 4k content? heck 90% of content is not even 1080p.

This is a tech forum where most people have computers there is plenty of advantages to added resolution, if your argument was reasonable dell wouldn't make the 30inch display and the 27 inch 2560x1440 displays would not be very popular here.

Hulk most TVs do not do 120hz very few do natively.

This is a tech forum where most people have computers there is plenty of advantages to added resolution, if your argument was reasonable dell wouldn't make the 30inch display and the 27 inch 2560x1440 displays would not be very popular here.

Hulk most TVs do not do 120hz very few do natively.
what does a real 2560x1400 monitor have to do with what I said? people would be all over proper 3840x2160 monitors at a good price. these are tvs and they run at 30hz at 3840x2160 so they are not necessarily a good idea for running a computer on. and as for as being a tv its almost useless when 99% of content is 720p.

It completely depends on your uses, one other thing is a tech forum like this has a diversity of interests. Plenty of people hook up TVs to their computers can you show me where else you can get a 4k monitor for $600? I can promise you someone who works with excel would love this if they get big spread sheets. Also many people only run at 30fps by the time they get a full eyefinity setup going. I personally wouldn't game on anything less than 120hz does it mean no one else should ever run a dell 30 inch monitor because its only 60hz?

60hz is normal and you know that. 30hz is bad enough on the desktop for an lcd and downright painful for any action oriented game.

The difference between frame rate and resolution is a trade off, that is the simple point that anyone should be able to understand. Some people despite what you think would rather have the resolution for their own reasons. And for those people this is a about as cheap as it gets.

And just to make the point clear almost everyone in the world is actually running at 30fps on their TVs and these people do not have a problem with it.

The difference between frame rate and resolution is a trade off, that is the simple point that anyone should be able to understand. Some people despite what you think would rather have the resolution for their own reasons. And for those people this is a about as cheap as it gets.

And just to make the point clear almost everyone in the world is actually running at 30fps on their TVs and these people do not have a problem with it.
and what the heck does 30fps on a tv have to do with anything computer related? so again its a tv not really suited to computer use and for tv use it will have to run content well below its native resolution thus defeating the point.

Because you cant find a 4k monitor this cheap can you so if you want one you have to buy a TV. BTW do you know what the difference between a TV and a monitor is?

Because you cant find a 4k monitor this cheap can you so if you want one you have to buy a TV. BTW do you know what the difference between a TV and a monitor is?
I am not complaining about the price. I am talking about the usefulness of it as monitor when it can only do 30hz and usefulness of it as tv when there is no 4k content. I thought I had been clear about that. and I guess you think the only difference is a tv tuner which is not always true. many tvs are just not very suitable for pc monitors. and yes I know from first hand experience.

It is still incredibly useful as a monitor considering this single unit can replace 4 1080p monitors its like eyefinity without bezels, IE perfect eyefinity. That is 4x the number of cells in excel, 4 x the space in visual studio, etc... There are many uses for high resolution that are not hindered by slow refresh rates. And as already stated the vast majority of the world has no problem with 30 hz. The only thing that would change that is if this had a horrible masking effect in between pixels or subpixels. But that is not your argument, if you have specific knowledge on it please share.

It is still incredibly useful as a monitor considering this single unit can replace 4 1080p monitors its like eyefinity without bezels, IE perfect eyefinity. That is 4x the number of cells in excel, 4 x the space in visual studio, etc... There are many uses for high resolution that are not hindered by slow refresh rates. And as already stated the vast majority of the world has no problem with 30 hz. The only thing that would change that is if this had a horrible masking effect in between pixels or subpixels. But that is not your argument, if you have specific knowledge on it please share.

agreed

Wow playing FFXIV would be pimp on this! Might have to offload some hardware to get this.

Where did the deals on this go. :(

I need a crossover monitor to do 4K 30hz desktop and 1080p 60Hz in the living room for TV and games...

I am not complaining about the price. I am talking about the usefulness of it as monitor when it can only do 30hz and usefulness of it as tv when there is no 4k content. I thought I had been clear about that. and I guess you think the only difference is a tv tuner which is not always true. many tvs are just not very suitable for pc monitors. and yes I know from first hand experience.

Agreed,

As a TV: No 4k content, except for that Sony service that is like 30$ a movie, is there anything else right now?

As a PC Monitor: 30hz for any sort of gaming on PC is bleh, TVs being used as PC monitors is bleh in general.

Save your money and wait for 4k to actually matter and/or for the next DP and HDMI specs.

I gamed for almost half the year at 30fps playing online shooters due to only having a 6870 for my 1440p monitor, I found it was fine, not top of the line or anything but since I am moving into a smaller place that wont fit my projector I think one of these may be a great option.

I gamed for almost half the year at 30fps playing online shooters due to only having a 6870 for my 1440p monitor, I found it was fine, not top of the line or anything but since I am moving into a smaller place that wont fit my projector I think one of these may be a great option.
well for most people that's not something they would want to do. 30 frames per second this creates way too much judder and stuttering even from just looking around with the mouse. With a controller its not as bad but still quite annoying what you're used to the feel of having decent framerates. very few people would trade having smooth performance and better visuals and not getting sick feeling just to run a higher resolution.

well for most people that's not something they would want to do. 30 frames per second this creates way too much judder and stuttering even from just looking around with the mouse. With a controller its not as bad but still quite annoying what you're used to the feel of having decent framerates. very few people would trade having smooth performance and better visuals and not getting sick feeling just to run a higher resolution.

Plus I imagine running your average game at 4k resolutions would take a beefy system. Also IMO, Windows DPI scaling is god awful since not all applications have to respect it. Not sure how much it would matter on a 39" screen, but some applications in Windows8 on my MacBook Pro - Retina are down right unusable.

Plus I imagine running your average game at 4k resolutions would take a beefy system. Also IMO, Windows DPI scaling is god awful since not all applications have to respect it. Not sure how much it would matter on a 39" screen, but some applications in Windows8 on my MacBook Pro - Retina are down right unusable.
This was covered in the other thread really, but scaling from 1080p/4K should be simple and clean though, since you're just trading four square pixels for one square pixel, so no special pixel blending or anything going on.

So the idea is you use 4K for your desktop at 30hz, but you game at 1080p at 120hz where you can actually realistically see that average framerate (you'd never get it at such high resolutions). Never saw if we had an owner here on [H] confirm that, but its what I read elsewhere.

And some games like say Civlization Gods and Kings, even 30hz would be fine though and you likely could kick it up to 4K and with a zoom mod see your whole empire on such high resolution zooming all the way out.

BTW, I have to set my HTPC manually to 1080p/24hz for 3D footage, and I don't usually bother switching back and the mouse does not "judder and stutter", that's how I'd describe a poor mouse connection. Instead all you get is with a white mouse on a very dark background you get mouse trails, but by no means does it affect your mouse control nor in any way would it make you motion sick which is just 120hz fanboi BS. For desktop use its perfectly fine, otherwise I'd take the 15 seconds to right click and switch res/refresh.

I'm still not buying that running half the resolution looks fine. That has never been the case on any monitor I've ever looked at. It was always clear when you were below the native resolution and making it exactly half did nothing any better. Is always been my experience that the lower the resolution is below native the worse it looks.

I'm still not buying that running half the resolution looks fine. That has never been the case on any monitor I've ever looked at. It was always clear when you were below the native resolution and making it exactly half did nothing any better. Is always been my experience that the lower the resolution is below native the worse it looks.

Pixel-quadrupling looks fine on most displays. You can tell the resolution is lower, but you don't get any of the stretching or distortion that comes with running at a resolution that's not a 1:4 relationship with the display's native resolution. 720p content looks good on a 1440p display, 1080p content should look good on a 2160p display. I've never used or seen the Seiki display in question though, just speaking from my experiences with a 1440p display.

Well in truth just the 50" Seiki right now. I've read that the 39" will report 120hz input but drop every other frame for 60hz. They are working on a firmware fix for it thought. (This is at 1080p resolution)

Back