3870x2 and crossfire

You mean the CrossfireX link between the two GPUs on the card? Or CrossfireX between two 3870X2s? CrossfireX between cards isn't supported yet -- should be with a March driver release. Personally, I'd be suing ATI for false advertising (the cards all say "CrossfireX supported" and similar on the boxes) if I were a 3870X2 owner.

I guess a better question is how can one tell if crossfire is really working on a 3870x2?

when I look using gpu-z it says ati crossefire disabled.

You mean the CrossfireX link between the two GPUs on the card? Or CrossfireX between two 3870X2s? CrossfireX between cards isn't supported yet -- should be with a March driver release. Personally, I'd be suing ATI for false advertising (the cards all say "CrossfireX supported" and similar on the boxes) if I were a 3870X2 owner.

tell me about it. when i pointed this out to ATI support, they claimed they never advertised crossfirex, and that they never said dual 3870x2 cards were supported. so i sent them this link (http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_crossfire.aspx) and now they're ignoring my support ticket.

ironically, i switched to ATI fron nVidia because of the whole nForce3 Vista support fiasco - nVidia advertised they would have full support for Vista w/ nForce3, but then changed their tune ... months after i bought an nForce3 mobo. hell, they dropped support for nForce3 just a year after release.

In all fairness, the link you just provided says nothing about the 3870x2.

Not saying it isn't right...I have an extra x2 sitting next to my desk, I'm waiting for the crossfirex driver too.

But it is coming. Just gotta be patient.

In all fairness, the link you just provided says nothing about the 3870x2.

Not saying it isn't right...I have an extra x2 sitting next to my desk, I'm waiting for the crossfirex driver too.

But it is coming. Just gotta be patient.

That link clearly describes CrossfireX as a current technology. Nothing there about "will be", "future", or "not yet available". In the second paragraph, you'll find a clearly displayed link to the "Combination Options Chart". The 3870x2 (and P35 mobos) are listed as compatible.

On the box that my Visiontek 3870x2 card came in, I see the following references to CrossfireX:

* "ATI CrossfireX Technology" image on front
* "ATI CrossfireX" listed as feature on feature list on front
* "ATI CrossfireX Multi-GPU Ready" listed in feature list on one end of box
* "ATI CrossfireX Bridge Interconnect" listed in the "What's in the box" list
* "ATI CrossfireX" described in detail in two paragraphs on back
* "ATI CrossfireX" mentioned on bottom of box
* "ATI CrossfireX" mentioned in two places on other end of box, and includes description of how to set up system

ATI is VERY clearly marketing CrossfireX as a current, acquirable technology. The reason I bought the second card is because of what was printed on this box.

After the vaporware b.s I have dealt with recently**, I refuse to get ripped off like this again.

- nVidia nForce3 Vista compatibility fiasco
- Sprint evdo rev.A for PPC6800 vaporware (and similar issues for 6700 and G1000)
- Ad-Aware for Vista
- etc, etc, etc

Sure, ATI may very well release quality xfirex drivers in March .... or maybe they won't. Maybe it'll be April or May, or maybe the drivers will suck when they do come out. My point is that I spent $1,000 on technology that was advertised on the damn box, but it doesn't exist.

ATI Support sucked too. First, they told me that I needed to uninstall and then reinstall drivers. And then they said: "This is a fault of our drivers, that in some games, this card is not performing how it should. Although in other games you can see much higher performance than using a single card. Drivers were never working perfectly fine with all the games on any of the graphics cards, there are always fixes needed. Our website never stated that CrossfireX is already supported. Our press releases either. Once the CrossifireX will be supported you should have no problems with the products you bought. At the current state, our drivers work properly with a single Radeon 3870X2 card. Refund is not possible."

This whole deal sucks even more because I've always been both an ATI and AMD fan. They can kiss my ass though if they're going to pull this false advertising shit and waste my $1,000.

That link clearly describes CrossfireX as a current technology. Nothing there about "will be", "future", or "not yet available". In the second paragraph, you'll find a clearly displayed link to the "Combination Options Chart". The 3870x2 (and P35 mobos) are listed as compatible.

I think you read the chart wrong, it doesn't state the 3870x2 on the chart. The highest/most powerful card I see is the regular 3870.

But I must say, it is quite misleading to advertise CrossfireX support yet not having the drivers to support more than 2 cards. Very confusing...

I think you read the chart wrong, it doesn't state the 3870x2 on the chart. The highest/most powerful card I see is the regular 3870.

But I must say, it is quite misleading to advertise CrossfireX support yet not having the drivers to support more than 2 cards. Very confusing...

dude, its right there in black and white on their website. look in the "What You Need: Components" section w/ links for components on this page: http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/tutorials.html

in the graphics cards section, it clearly lists the 3870x2 at the top of the page ... right below the big "ATI CrossfireX Certified" image.
http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown.html

and my Asus P5K P35 mobo is listed on the motherboards page, about 3/4 of the way down on the page. note the big "ATI CrossfireX Certified" image at the top of that page too.
http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown1.html

I see...

Not to pick a fight, but I would have thought you'd knew that the CrossfireX drivers would come out during the March driver release (for 3 and 4 card support)?
I mean, I thought even the [H]'s evaluation of the HD 3870x2 mentioned that the proper CrossfireX drivers are coming then.

Sorry to hear your problems, I hope the drivers are gonna be good so you can enjoy it :)

I see...

Not to pick a fight, but I would have thought you'd knew that the CrossfireX drivers would come out during the March driver release (for 3 and 4 card support)?
I mean, I thought even the [H]'s evaluation of the HD 3870x2 mentioned that the proper CrossfireX drivers are coming then.

Sorry to hear your problems, I hope the drivers are gonna be good so you can enjoy it :)

you have a valid point. you can bet that next time i'll research the issue more carefully. the 2nd card was an impulse buy for me .... i was at Microcenter ... they had it in stock ... it was on sale for $383 ... i just got my tax return ... it said "CrossfireX" all over the box. ;) lol

as PESTILENCE said, guess i'll just have to sit back and wait for the drivers. i'm skeptical though, so if ATI actually does come out with drivers by mid March, and i score 25k 3dmark06, i'll get the ATI logo and my 3dmark06 score tattooed on my ass.

now no need to be that extreme lol
but wow on sale for that price? damn you had a good reason for such an impulse!

...March isn't too far off, fingers crossed heh?

shit dude, if i score 25k 3dmark06 with 8.3 drivers, i'll tattoo [H] on the other cheek and let Kyle post a pic of my arse on the home page as the [H] sighting of the day.

tsk, you're really such a 3dmark guy.

anyway, since this is about 3870x2 and crossfire, i gotta ask this, does the 3870x2 beats 3870 badly in game(s) that obviously does not benefit from crossfire?
just wanna clear about it, doesn't the 3870x2 acts just like another crossfire setup?

i know that a single 3870 will generally eat everything you throw at it, but if 3870x2 doubles everything that of a single 3870 can do, wow..just WOW.

games have to support crossfire in order to get a benefit from the second GPU on the 3870 X2. the only exception to this right now seems to be crysis, but that's only because ATI coded a beta driver that supports the 3870 X2 in Crysis, and pretty much no other two card setups.

Back