Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
PC Specs:

I7 2600K @ 4.8Gkz
16 GB RAM
PCPC 910 watt PSU
2x HD6850 1GB Cards
24" ASUS 1080P Monitor

I play mainly BF4 right now, but I want to upgrade my graphics cards to be able to play Division. I was planning on just getting a 380x for around @220, but with nVidia bundling a game code for Division with the 970 cards, I am having second thoughts and leaning towards a 970.

Would a 970 be worth the extra $100 over the 380x in my case?

If you wanted to get the Division at full ratail, you're basically only paying $20-$40 extra for the 970 over the 380x. So in that case, yes, it's worth it.

You can get a 970 for less than $320. Just look around. I paid $290 for mine in August, and while the price hasn't dropped since then, it hasn't gone up much either.

Do you care about power consumption and efficiency? If not then instead of 380X or 970, I'd recommend this XFX 390 for $275 after rebate and with a free Hitman game code.

Stock or OC it's pretty much equal to a 970, but has 8GB of varm and that'll keeping you going if you want to keep the card for a long time. You could sell the Hitman code and use the money to fund your purchase of the Division.

The 970 is more than $100 worth of card over the 380X. So is the R9 390. As someone who as owned multiple 380/380X cards, don't do that to yourself. Buy the next step up. Or go and find a used 7970 for $100 because thats how much performance you'll get.

I would personally go with a good deal on a 390 or 970 and sell the game if you're not interested to bring the price down even more.

I wouldn't even consider the 380x due to its awkward price-performance point and lack of meaningful performance over the 380. Even without considering the bundled game, the 390 and 970 are much faster not a lot of added cost. And If you really want to go with a cheaper card for 1080p, the 2gb 380 is just 150$.

As Daniel_Chang puts it, if you detract the price of The Division from the 970 it costs nearly the same as the 380x, making the 970 an absolute no-brainer.

970 or 390 is DEFINITELY the way to go.

(This coming from a person who purchased a 380, returned it due to the ridiculious Powerplay/clockblocker bs on 300 series cards, and settled with a 960)

I seriously should've just stepped up and gotten the 970 but o well, I don't really play anything that needs it.

970 or 390 is DEFINITELY the way to go.

(This coming from a person who purchased a 380, returned it due to the ridiculious Powerplay/clockblocker bs on 300 series cards, and settled with a 960)

I seriously should've just stepped up and gotten the 970 but o well, I don't really play anything that needs it.

Yeah the price gap between the $225 cards and the next tier up is tiny compared to the jump up in performance.

Yarr....You are welcome to Sweden and buy two Fury X's for only $1.800. It's a bargain I tell you! But seriously.....A 390-390X will fit the bill.

Thanks for the advice... was leaning towards the 970, but kinda just needed a prod on the right direction.

I went ahead and placed an order for the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 card for $320. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH5T1MS

The last time that I bought a video card for myself, was almost 5yrs ago and I haven't payed much attention to the GPU scene since. I was quite surprised when I read that the 970 came out in 2014? And the 380x uses a chip that is 3yrs old? That's a pretty big change to back when GPU's cycles were about a year long.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
28 nm is 28nm.....that 970 is going to give you grief. Not trying to troll or get a rise out of nvidia-bots, I would buy the 390X every day of the month over the 970

28 nm is 28nm.....that 970 is going to give you grief. Not trying to troll or get a rise out of nvidia-bots, I would buy the 390X every day of the month over the 970

I was having a hard time justifying a 300 dollar video card that came with a 60 dollar game that I wanted, there is no way I could justify a 400 to 450 dollar video card.

What grief have you had with a 970?

none. because I have coworkers that bought the 970 and now giving me alot of questions about the card. mostly positive but the 390X is still superior

oh yeah...go for it. for that price ...sure. But you should also know that it isn't 4GB as in 3.5 + 512MB of shit ass cache. But I'm sure the nvidia bots will shoot this down in a heartbeat. lol
I really promote the 390X....really really do

oh yeah...go for it. for that price ...sure. But you should also know that it isn't 4GB as in 3.5 + 512MB of shit ass cache. But I'm sure the nvidia bots will shoot this down in a heartbeat. lol

Not sure what your deal is, just say you suggest the 390/X and leave if all you're going to do is fill up the thread with anti-Nvidia drivel.

Also OP, have you checked the EVGA B-stock? There are sometimes great deals on 970's there with a nice 1 year warranty. Dunno how you feel about those.

EDIT: just saw you got the Gigabyte card, thats a nice one.

no deal. OP should consider alternatives. There is no anti-nvidia drivel. The 970 is a good card if you only game at 1080p and don't give a shit about specs. The 390X with 8 GB is far more superior and if Crossfired it will be king.

Here is the details at Jet.com

jet.jpg

Jet.com

no deal. OP should consider alternatives. There is no anti-nvidia drivel. The 970 is a good card if you only game at 1080p and don't give a shit about specs. The 390X with 8 GB is far more superior and if Crossfired it will be king.
I find this funny... no anti-nvidia but saying the 390x is better than 970. The 390x is basically the 290x with higher clocks. Maybe it's better depending on what games you're playing. 970 uses A LOT less power. Even at 3.5GB of VRAM, it's still more than enough for BF4. I'm running 980 and BF4 doesn't go over 3GB of VRAM at 1440P with ultra setting and 2x MSAA.

yeah might be the case. but seriosly? who gives a fuck about powerdraw? it's a matter of a few watts.
just turn off a lightbulb for your gaming session ffs.

yeah might be the case. but seriosly? who gives a fuck about powerdraw? it's a matter of a few watts.
just turn off a lightbulb for your gaming session ffs.
You don't care about the powerdraw but some people do. I do care about the heat. I'd like to keep my AC bill as low as possible during the summer time.

Titan X > 390x

Back