380W enough for 8880ultra?

mito

Gawd
I have an q6600, 2gb and an 8800ultra leftovers from my last upgrade.

I wish to build my second rig for HTPC only, no gaming or OC.

I wanna go cheap on the case and power supply.

Any suggestions?

And no its not powerful enough. You will top out the wattage and there aren't even close enough to enough power on the 12v rail.

I concur with what has been said so far: No and get a new PSU.

You never go cheap on a power supply whenever theres a decent video card in the system. That's like asking for trouble.

Just out of curiosity, which 380W PSU are you looking at?

There are a ton of great PSU's in the 500-600w range for ~100 bucks. Less than that on a PSU, especially cheap off brands, is begging for you to be up late at night trying to figure out whats causing your blue screens or random resets.

No. The 550W PSU in that case is the old Trupower 2.0 series, a line of PSUs well known for premature deaths and above average failure rates. A decent case/PSU combo would be the Antec Sonata III and Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W PSU. The Earthwatts 500W PSU is a pretty decent PSU and should be enough for your setup.

It's a TruePower 2.0 PSU. They're trash. So far as Antec PSUs go, if it's not a Neo HE, True Power Trio, True Power Quattro, or Signature series... it's trash. The True Power and True Power 2.0 lines (along with quite a few models in their Basiq line) are known for quick and potentially nasty deaths due to poor quality capacitor selection and inadequate cooling.

It's a TruePower 2.0 PSU. They're trash. So far as Antec PSUs go, if it's not a Neo HE, True Power Trio, True Power Quattro, or Signature series... it's trash. The True Power and True Power 2.0 lines (along with quite a few models in their Basiq line) are known for quick and potentially nasty deaths due to poor quality capacitor selection and inadequate cooling.

The Earthwatts series is pretty decent too :D

i dunno bout that but i have a 500 watt true power 2.0 bought it back in 2005 its powered an 7800gt, 7900gtx, 7900gt sli, 8800gtx, 8800gt, now im on a 4870 now. have had no problems. my bro has the same one to for 2 years no problem there.

EDIT: haha NM its a smart power dunno if those are any good but didnt see it on ur list of good antec psu. sorry.

i dunno bout that but i have a 500 watt true power 2.0 bought it back in 2005 its powered an 7800gt, 7900gtx, 7900gt sli, 8800gtx, 8800gt, now im on a 4870 now. have had no problems. my bro has the same one to for 2 years no problem there.

EDIT: haha NM its a smart power dunno if those are any good but didnt see it on ur list of good antec psu. sorry.

The Smartpower series were just as bad as the Truepower 2.0 series since it had the same exact problems: Poor capacitors that did not respond well under heat and poor cooling. If you hear a sort of squeal or whine from the PSU, even when the system is off, definitely time to RMA or buy a new PSU.

The Smartpower series were just as bad as the Truepower 2.0 series since it had the same exact problems: Poor capacitors that did not respond well under heat and poor cooling. If you hear a sort of squeal or whine from the PSU, even when the system is off, definitely time to RMA or buy a new PSU.

well i guess i got a good one knock on wood no squeal no problems 4 years going.

My Antec has been going strong and silent for 3 years now with no issues..I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Back