3800xt from 3700x causing random reboots

I just upgraded to a 3800xt and noctua NH u12a from a 3700x and wraith prism. I've been getting random shutdowns with restarts even in the bios. Before upgrading, the system had been stable for the past year.
I've updated chipset drivers, reseated the cooler, reset bios defaults except for docp, and even tried disconnecting the hardware power and reset buttons.
I'm about to buy a new power supply (I'm using a seasonic x750 which has been solid) but am wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks

My components are
Antec Solo II
Asus ROG Strix X570-F
3800XT
Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 3600
Asus 2080 super
XPG GAMMIX 1TB S11 Pro
Seasonic X750 Gold

Thanks for the quick reply. On hwinfo I've seen peaks in the 70s.
I've also recently added and upgraded all three case fans to a12x25s which were doing well with the 3700x.

Thanks I wasn't aware that the new cpu may be having issues with docp. I'll try running it without docp and report back. If it stays stable I imagine I'll have to return the new cpu. I haven't run memtest and will look into doing so overnight.

Last edited:
If I can maintain my ram at 3600 that would be ideal. I'll try those modifications to the voltages and check stability.
Thanks

Reset your bios. Not the defaults in the menu, hard reset. Try that first.

Either push button, jumper, or pull the cr32 button cell and wait 30 seconds.

Bet youre good after

Also unseat your ram fully rearrange and put back in slots. Some of the weirdest shit works. Ive built hundreds of machines.

do a reset like suggested and them instead of using docp/xmp manually set you ram speed, timing, voltage and the soc voltage. ^^ that also sometimes works.

Just checking since it isn't obvious -- are you using the latest BIOS?

I know the 3700X and the 3800XT are essentially the same silicone but you never know...

I'm away for the weekend and left the computer on with the default ram settings to see if it remains stable. Didn't have time to manually configure the ram.
Yeah I updated the bios to the latest version before the upgrade.
After the hard reset I did try docp one last time but it still shut down and restarted randomly.
Will let you all know how things go when I get back, thanks everyone! I've read the site for years and I'm glad I finally joined.

You also might want to try DRAM calculator for Ryzen by 1usmus. It will give you min/recommended/max voltages as well as all kinds of subtimings. For instance my GSkill 3600 CL16 (which I manually set) would very occasionally become unstable. I set the SOC to 1.05v as recommended and saw immediate improvement. There are a few more voltages to set as well but my Gigabyte BIOS doesn't reveal them all but so far so good.

My computer remained stable over the weekend. Big relief.
I then used the ryzen calculator along with thaiphoon.
Initially tried all the ryzen calculator safe numbers but couldn't boot.
I then tried the docp settings again but this time I increased the ram voltage to the ryzen calculator recommended 1.40.
So far so good. I'm running memtest86 now.
Will report back, thanks again for the help everyone.

Completed a pass of memtest but then it booted into windows after succeeding. Unfortunately it then shut off and restarted within minutes!

Starting from defaults again.
Second guessing the ryzen calculator numbers. Originally I imported xml from thaiphoon and changed the drop-down boxes in the left to my ram. Then pressed calculate safe values. These are shown under the "imported" image and I couldn't get it to boot.
Recalculated with the ryzen calculator and this time used dram pcb revision a0 after importing xml although I don't think that the import did anything.
The numbers in the first column now all read 0 but the calculations appear more realistic to me.
Now trying these new values according to the "current" image. The computer has booted into windows and I will try to run memory testing.

Attachments

• current.png
    current.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • imported.png
    imported.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back