3733 DDR4 16gb kit $93 on Amazon

I've got some 8GB DDR4 4000MHz modules with even worse timings than those. 19,23,23,45. :eek:

I wonder how well Zen+ would fare with these

I'm in the process of answering that question for an article. The idea is to see how AMD and Intel CPU's respond to low latency RAM at lower clocks vs. higher latency RAM at higher clocks.

Read something somewhere that said cas16 3733 may be a sweet spot for Ryzen 3000. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Should be Hynix CJR with those timings, so should fare pretty well even on current-gen Ryzen parts.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
TheHig You're probably thinking of about this slide.
F0C5g6o.jpg

Saw this earlier, but don't recognize the seller. Buyer beware. ;)

Thats exactly what my Corsair 3000 C15 clocks to in my Intel board, 3733MHz C17.
Question is, will it do the same in an AMD board?

Thats exactly what my Corsair 3000 C15 clocks to in my Intel board, 3733MHz C17.
Question is, will it do the same in an AMD board?

Not necessarily. You can't know without trying.

I really want to know how Ryzen 3 is going to react to having 4 DIMMs speed wise. I have 16GB of 3200 now that I would like to bump to 32GB...

ADDING another 16GB kit is the cheapest way to go but if 4 DIMMs limits the speed then I would just get a 32GB 3600 kit and call it a dsy....

While prices are in a nice decline, I think the launch of Zen2 is going to cause retailers to add a price premium on higher speeds kits... I would buy this kit now but it would be out of the return window before Zen2 launches.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Also, I am curious if that AMD slide applies to Zen 2 (reguardless of the x370/470/570) as a whole on any platform or if it only applies with a paired x570 board.

I am not spending $300-500 on a x570 board when I have a fairly decent x470 board.

I'd go with any of the ones that can get you at or sub 69ns latency. Thats gonna be the sweet spot. The rest is just raw data transfer rates which mean NOTHING in gaming and not much at all in productivity at these speeds already.

Saw this earlier, but don't recognize the seller. Buyer beware. ;)

Let’s click on the seller first. You may not recognize it but always helps to click on the name and see reviews. How about 100% 4900+ reviews. Sounds good to me and it’s handled by amazon.

Therein lies the problem unless I sell my ram and pay more for new.
It would be really handy to see this covered, perhaps on your new site ?? https://www.thefpsreview.com/
:)

Memory compatibility will be a topic of coverage on X570. However, on existing AM4 motherboards, I wouldn't get your hopes up. For one thing, I don't have that specific RAM. X370, B350, X399, X470 and B450 aren't generally known for clocking RAM all that high.

I can try the latest bios— but my CH7 and 2600 is humming with 4x8 c14 at 3200 b dies all day but is really flakey over 3200 even when timings are relaxed. Could be the Cpu of course.

I have a 2400g on the AsRock b450itx that runs 3600 ram kind of —but again— not reliably. Settled on 3200 rock stable there too.

Really think 3000 CPUs at least is needed for these speeds reliably and maybe x570 boards too.

Lastly. X470 with a Ryzen 3000 cpu. What can that do? A great may people want to see that for upgrades to existing systems or getting cheaper 400 series boards.

Edit: for example — could the really nice ram I already have open up to cas16 3733 with a 3900x on my existing board? That might get me to spend some money. :cool:

Last edited:
And by decent you mean ?

It's in my sig, I have an Auss x470 Prime Pro.

As far as the differences of ram speed, in theory the only issue should be the quality of the IMC and the AGEA code for x370/470. Unless X570 has improved trace lengths, or AsMedia totally botched their design (doubtful since the Zen+ revision offered much better ram speed/stability over Zen 1)...

Unless X570 has improved trace lengths, or AsMedia totally botched their design (doubtful since the Zen+ revision offered much better ram speed/stability over Zen 1)...
Well bro Asmedia has nothing to do with the x570.

Should note that the memory controller is on the CPU, in the socket, and the traces are between the memory slots and the CPU. The physical chipset is not involved, just the BIOS.

As for stability, this has never been a feature of AMD's own chipsets in the consumer space, so we are all crossing our fingers that they get everything lined up and their driver guy has been working overtime ;)

Reactions: aQi
like this
Well bro Asmedia has nothing to do with the x570. I know they had been designing the chipsets all the way but x570 is an inhouse build from Amd. And according to them it has improved stability as compared to previous chipsets. But we all have to compromise with the high TDP of it. Im concerned about its potential and uncompromised heat issue.

High TDP is mainly because of all the bells and whisltes it has. Sure they could have cut it down. But I think in a case with good airflow the fan will likely not spin much given they have some sort of auto off feature. I don't see why they wouldn't.

High TDP is mainly because of all the bells and whisltes it has.

It's really the PCIe switching capability- which constitute the 'bells and whistles'. This is something that AMD is still working to catch up to Intel on, and it's a good move on AMD's part as it allows them to bring more flexibility to their consumer platform.

Also, I agree that 15w at most isn't a big deal. What matters is how board makers handle it, and what end-users have to do if they handle it poorly, i.e. swapping out fans and so on.

Well bro Asmedia has nothing to do with the x570. I know they had been designing the chipsets all the way but x570 is an inhouse build from Amd. And according to them it has improved stability as compared to previous chipsets. But we all have to compromise with the high TDP of it. Im concerned about its potential and uncompromised heat issue.

The high TDP shouldn't be much of an issue. We've seen chipsets with this high a TDP (and probably higher) in years past. What it will mean is that we'll probably see more chipsets with heat pipes and even fans. Hopefully the former more often than the latter, but dealing with 15w TDP really isn't that big of a deal.

Should note that the memory controller is on the CPU, in the socket, and the traces are between the memory slots and the CPU. The physical chipset is not involved, just the BIOS.

As for stability, this has never been a feature of AMD's own chipsets in the consumer space, so we are all crossing our fingers that they get everything lined up and their driver guy has been working overtime ;)

Thanks for answering what he was asking in a roundabout way for me. When I first read it I was "Does he really think I do not know the IMC is on the CPU OR what traces are?" Lol.

I'd be happy running 32GB of 3600-3733 at 3200-3400 with nice timings on x470 for a year and then moving it over to the refreshed x570/590(?) boards.

I just dropped a pretty penny on a shiny hunk of metal and precious stones so I'm stuck with a CPU+RAM only this round. I have pushed the 6+2 VRM setup on my board with 130%+ overcurrent with a hex and then octcore running 100% 24/7 mining Cryptonight when I'm not gaming and the board has handled it like a champ.

I think I'm just grabbing an 8 core again this round and seeing if I can hit the silicon lottery for my 30th time lol.

Back